Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
titus3:5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty

I was a sucker and bought the extended warranty last year when i bought my bike, Now after reading a whole bunch from you guys, I dont think it was such a good idea. So my question, has any body else fell victim to a fast talking stealer. Is there a way to cancell the extended warranty and get my money back. I have only had my o6 for 13 months and no problems so far.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extended warranty

You've already paid the money, I'd hang onto the warranty. I got an extra two years for a little peace of mind, considering it's the first year for the 96" + 6-speed. Yours, being an '06 is already a known and tested motor/trans, so It's kind of a toss-up I guess. I think I'd still hang onto it.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:14 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you think the extended warranty is no good? If you put a lot of miles on your bike and plan on keeping it, it might pay for itself someday if you have engine problems. These dealers charge$65 amd upper hourto repair bikes. Think of what it might cost for a head jobor a new tranny. With the extened, you pay thesmall deductable and the warranty company picksup the rest. I don't think it's refundable either.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It depends on the warranty. I've seen some posts on here that sounded like a pretty good deal, at least if you log a lot of miles. If it's just an extension of the original factory warranty. It's worthless. You can't get most Harley dealers to honor the original warranty, why extend a warranty that is worthless.

I purchased a warranty that was just an extension. After I discovered the original factory warranty to be worthless, I was able to cancel the extended warranty and get a refund. It wasn't a full refund, but at lest I didn't throw away too much money.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM
tt408
Intermediate

Two months after my warranty ran out I developed an oil leak. They had to split the cases to fix it. The bill came up to 890$. My cost for the extended warranty was 495 so I made out OK. Most of the time I don't buy those things but they offered a lower interest rate if I did witch payed for the warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

The one I got through my dealer is pro-rated per year. If I cancel it before the Harley warranty runs out, its a 100% refund. I would guess all the dealers go through the same warranty company nationwide. Since I added it into the financing on the bike, I would be out interest paid on the loan prior to cancelling it. I am debating whether the $1300 I paid for a 4yr extended warranty is worth it... I am leaning towards it being so. But like most people I know who havethey oneall say"glad I got it" or "wish I had it". Only the people who never exercise the extended warranty are the ones who say they are worthless and the ones who end up using them alot are theones who will always get them. My warranty adds $20 a month to my payment...thats 5 cups of Starbucks caramel macciatto's a month.... 5 packs of smokes.....1/2 the cost ofhighspeed internet..all the sudden a little piece of mind in my bike being protected seems pretty small.
Take somecommon component like a starter motor, its $235 uninstalled, it wouldn't take long to burn through $1300 in extended warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you financed the bike, sometimes you can't cancel the extended warranty at all.

And the reason I call the extended warranty worthless, is because the original factory warranty is pretty much worthless. If they do happen to agree to honor the warranty, they usually aren't competent enough to successfully repair the problem.

I did have 1 successful original warranty repair. Any many many trips without a desired outcome.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the reason I call the extended warranty worthless, is because the original factory warranty is pretty much worthless. If they do happen to agree to honor the warranty, they usually aren't competent enough to successfully repair the problem.
That depends on the dealership. Some dealers can be ******** and give you a really hard time on warranty work, while others don't care if you have a modified bike or not. As for not being able to repair the problem: that depends on the the dealership as well. I have been fortunate in that I get along with the two dealerships around my house and I have people at each one that I trust to work on my bike. Unfortunatly, not everybody is so lucky and in that case the extended warranty isn't something you want.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I've pretty much had the same experience with 5 different dealerships. They either say it's not something covered under warranty, or they will happily take the bike into the shop, I wait around for a few hours, and they still didn't fix the problem. Then I come back home, put the bike on the jack...possibly consult on this forum, and correct the problem myself.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 AM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped offmy bike yesterday to get the speedometer fixed, thought it would be covered under warranty. Come to find out the 1 year factory warranty expired before I even bought the bike. It's an '03 XL1200C I bought from the dealer with 39 "demo" miles in late August 2005, I'm the first person the bike was titled to. Anyways, I'm glad I got the 4 year extended coverage and a 5 year perfered service plan both unlimited mileage. As long as I really put the miles on it will pay for it self no problem.