Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with bike. 1st gear no gas 12mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Therealrsp Therealrsp Therealrsp's Avatar
Therealrsp Therealrsp Therealrsp
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Problem with bike. 1st gear no gas 12mph

Hello,

Looking for some help if you can. Recently bought my first bike used. A 2013 h-D 883 iron. Was practicing with it today for the first time. All was well until this afternoon. I told my dad when letting the clutch out in first it seemed to be going faster than in the morning. He got on it and said something isn't right. Going from a stop, putting it in first, and letting off the clutch it jumps to about 12 mph and levels out there without ever touching the gas. If you hit the belt wake to slow it down it will of course slow down, but it is wanting to get back to around 12 mph in my front yard. For some reason I was thinking it has basani road rage pipes, so my first thought was I wonder if the previous owner put a power commander module on it and this was the culprit. I lifted the seat and there was a dyna commander V plugged in and working, as far as the light coming on, on the power commander module. Is this the culprit?

My questions are:
1) letting the clutch out in 1st, with no gas given what should a normal 883 speed be?

2) if this isn't normal, do you think it's the dyno commander not tuned right?

3) I read somewhere that if the battery is low the bike would rev itself higher to try and charge the battery. Don't know if this is true, or the problem.

4) is the power commander necessary with these pipes? Or can I return it to OEM?

5) who would fix it? Could Harley fix it if it is being caused by this aftermarket part?

I tank you all for your help. I am learning and I don't know anything. But, something doesn't feel right. I was thinking that it would be impossible to pass my license test if I put in first and it's automatically going to jump up to 12 mph by itself. How would I go through the cones. Breaking will of course slow it down, but it's like the choke is out or something. But I don't believe this bike has a choke. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Troops141
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your bike does not have a choke, does it seem to have a high idle?? I guess I haven't tried it on my Nightster yet, but on my last bike, if it was in first and no gas it would go a lot slower than 12 MPH and it would chug along like it was going to stall out (I never let it get that far, but pretty sure it would die if I didn't pull the clutch or give it fuel). In fact the bike should stall if you drop the clutch from a stop and don't give it any fuel.

I would start by taking the commander off and see if any change occurs.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:24 AM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

(1) Not sure of the exact number but between 10-15mph.
(2) Yes its normal.
(3) The bike should only idle high when cold starting.
(4) Some people get away with just slipons but you have the Power Commander so why not keep it on. If its been programmed your bike is only gonna run worse without it.
(5) From what I've read nothing seams out of the ordinary.

Slow speed riding is all about feathering the clutch, rear brake and head & eye movement. It all comes from practice. Sportsters are top heavy and can feel intimidating to new riders. Get good at it and you'll be throwing that bike around at crawling speeds. Many would probably recommend picking up a beater to learn on or get a crash bar for your current bike because I can tell you dropping your nice new bike is going to suck!

Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 PM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I was taught as MikeRC says, when in parking lots or low speed maneuvers keep your engine at a steady rpm and feather your clutch to adjust your speed. Your clutch is in oil and wont burn like older Ducattis with dry clutches. Watch for the rooky riders this spring jerking their bikes in parking lots because they werent taught to feather the clutch lever. Hopefully if your rpms are wrong it will be a simple fix. Did you look for your programmer on you tube or google your model with the word problems after it?

Old 03-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My scoot is an 06', and if their has been multiple quick starts or some clutch slip stall action has been occurring, my scoot will rev higher than normal for a short period. The fix has always been to either restart after a few second pause, or let the bike's RPM's settle on their own by letting it sit running unmoved for a few seconds till said RPM's return to normal.
Your bike is new enough to have the TBW, (throttle by wire) system, which in itself has three separate types of limp mode. Your bike doesn't seem to be suffering from any of the shutdown (limp) modes. It could be the piggyback tuner causing it, but not for sure about that. Mines still bone stock with 109,000 plus trouble free miles. Save for new cam tensioners, oil pump, lifters and a stator replacement. Hey, nothing lasts forever

BOB

Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
My scoot is an 06', and if their has been multiple quick starts or some clutch slip stall action has been occurring, my scoot will rev higher than normal for a short period. The fix has always been to either restart after a few second pause, or let the bike's RPM's settle on their own by letting it sit running unmoved for a few seconds till said RPM's return to normal.
Your bike is new enough to have the TBW, (throttle by wire) system, which in itself has three separate types of limp mode. Your bike doesn't seem to be suffering from any of the shutdown (limp) modes. It could be the piggyback tuner causing it, but not for sure about that. Mines still bone stock with 109,000 plus trouble free miles. Save for new cam tensioners, oil pump, lifters and a stator replacement. Hey, nothing lasts forever

BOB
I believe Sportsters still use cable throttles.

OP, it sounds normal. As others have said, try feathering the clutch lever. If you're really worried there's a problem, have a tech at your local dealer ride it. If there is a problem, they'll tell you what it might be and how much it'll cost to fix. If there isn't, you're just out the diagnosis fee (usually a half hour or an hour's labor).

Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 778 Likes on 501 Posts

Sounds fairly normal to me I've got the 1200 C and you just have to learn to ride the clutch and your back brake at slow speed. With Sportsters just being 5 speeds there just geared a little taller.