Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Clutch Is Maladjusted. Did I Raise It Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016 | 03:01 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I'd check with your dealer. I don't think a clutch will be covered under warranty. It's usually considered a wear item like brakes and tires.
Worn friction discs count as a wear item. The spring plate is not considered a wear item. Had the exact same problem with mine, and warranty covered it.

Originally Posted by Dane M
Even if massive damage is caused by a design flaw? If the clutch is just worn out no problem, I have a new kit ready to install.
Assuming your problem is your spring plate, warranty will cover it.

The following users liked this post:
Dane M (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016 | 06:05 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

"Clutch has started slipping on uphill acceleration in 4th and 5th gear."

"It always slipped a little in 5th if I really tried to hammer it, but I didn't have problems at the shifter like this."

With statements like these, I think it's more than just the spring plate ...JMO. I do hope warranty covers it all, but I didn't want to see Dane get surprised by a repair bill if it was considered a wear item.

Old 06-06-2016 | 11:14 PM
Dane M
Road Master

"Clutch has started slipping on uphill acceleration in 4th and 5th gear."

"It always slipped a little in 5th if I really tried to hammer it, but I didn't have problems at the shifter like this."

With statements like these, I think it's more than just the spring plate ...JMO. I do hope warranty covers it all, but I didn't want to see Dane get surprised by a repair bill if it was considered a wear item.
Absolutely, I appreciate it. Thank you. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-07-2016 | 07:22 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Talked to the tech today. Told me my clutch was worn out. I specifically asked him if it was just the friction plates, not the spring plate or anything else. He said yes just plates. Then I asked him how much it was going to be to replace and it was WAYYYY to much. So I said nevermind, I'll pick it up and do it myself.

30 minutes pass and a different person from the service department calls me and tells me that my bike is going to be all fixed up tomorrow, good as new, covered by my extended service plan, just with a $50 deductible fee. I was at work at the time inside a clients house so I wasn't able to inquire about it further.

When I got home I called again, asked for the same person to talk to. Asked her what was wrong and she said that the tech told her it was just out of spec. I confirmed that it was just going to be $50 total. I also asked if they could save the parts so I could see them before they get tossed.

It all sounds pretty weird... We'll see what happens tomorrow....

Old 06-08-2016 | 10:44 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Glad that I found this thread when I did. Got my bike back today. Spring plate had in fact fallen apart like I suspected. They fixed the bike up all under my extended service plan for just a $50 deductible.

View this post on Instagram

Old 06-09-2016 | 07:52 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Glad everything worked out for you and that it was covered by ESP.

Old 06-10-2016 | 01:24 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Glad everything worked out for you and that it was covered by ESP.
The head tech told me that normal warranty wouldn't have covered the spring plate, that only because I had ESP it was covered. That for some reason HD doesn't cover the spring plate under normal warranty because it's considered a "wet" piece. But that sounds like BS to me.

Old 06-10-2016 | 04:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dane M
The head tech told me that normal warranty wouldn't have covered the spring plate, that only because I had ESP it was covered. That for some reason HD doesn't cover the spring plate under normal warranty because it's considered a "wet" piece. But that sounds like BS to me.
Yeah, that's BS. Clutches are wear items just like tires, the same applies to most 4 wheel vehicles as well.

Old 06-11-2016 | 03:25 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior

Do yourself a favor, replace the stock clutch!

Old 06-11-2016 | 10:25 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Do yourself a favor, replace the stock clutch!
I was just about to replace the pack and spring when all these problems came about. Knowing that I was under warranty still, I decided not to even touch the primary cover. Once my warranty is up, I'm getting all up in there.

Quick Reply: My Clutch Is Maladjusted. Did I Raise It Wrong?