Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE READ...NEVER 100% TRUST A DEALERS WORKMANSHIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 PM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE READ...NEVER 100% TRUST A DEALERS WORKMANSHIP

Hows this for a story... ITS A LITTLE LONG SORRY....BUT I WANT YOU TO GET THE REAL JIST OF IT

As some of you know..... I brought my "07", XL50 in to have V&h slipons put on and Arlen Ness stage 2 billet air kit.... that part of the service went well,,,,, they did a Harley download that is used for Screaming Ealges pipes, and my bike runs/sounds great.....

BUT.... While the bike was there, I asked to have both oils changed out..... New syn3 in for the engine oil, and to put syn 3 in the primary case .....Well....

after riding it for an hour or 2, i heard some weird whinning or something, and it was happening in different gears...i was like what the hell.... is it my imagination.....i brought it right back that day, but the problem stopped by the time i got there.... and they were like we need to hear it or see it doing something, or else i'm reponsible for the charges.... i was like ...yeah right, i dont think so.... so i left.... thinking i was crazy and the sounds may have been normal.....

it did it the next day intermittantly..... so i went back, and could not prove it..... and the one service manager was like i dont know what your talking about, never heard of such a thing.... so i left again.... BUT NEVER SAID, HE JIM, LET US TAKE A QUICK LOOK TO SEE IF THERES ANYTHING WRONG JUST TO BE SAFE..... IM IN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE BUSSINESS MYSELF AND THESE GUYS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO ACCOMODATE CUSTOMERS AND DO THE RIGHT THING......

after the thrid time riding it, on my way home i heard a different jiggling sound.... so, i called them in the morning to schedule to have the oil looked at, and change it to syn3 in the crank case, because i think that they put in the sport trans oil instead, judging by the reciept.....so after reading threads on oil, i thought that it could have been the choice of oils....

I decided to open the small inspection cover to look inside, it looked pretty dry in there.... i stuck my finger inside as far as i could and and not oil on my finger, i was like what the f&&&......

so i went to the next step, I had my cousing sit on the bike while i took of the larger round cover.... to see the fill line.... it smelled burnt, like an ashtray..... and guess what, while tilting it hard to the left side,,,,,,NO OIL CAME OUT....
I called and told the general manger that i think this sucker is empty and that they may have forgot to put oil in it...... he said ...oh ok....i'll have our truck come to the house to pick it up......

LONG STORY SHORT..... THE FORGOT TO PUT OIL IN IT.....BUT THEY EVEN TRYED TO BS THIER WAY AROUND THAT TOO.... BUT WRITTING ON THE WORK ORDER, OIL LOW...... CUSTOMER STATES NOISE IN PRIMARY AREA...... IT SHOULD HAVE READ DEALER NEGLEGENTLY FORGOT TO PUT OIL IN PRIMARY , AND WILL ASSUME ALL REPONSIBILITIES OF ANY CURRENT OR FUTIRE PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARRISE.....

I REALLLY HATE THIS A&&h****.......... TYPICAL OF THEM.......SO BUYER BEWARE..... I KNOWIT WAS AN ACCEDENT, BUT GIVE ME A BREAK.........

Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
upnarms
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PLEASE READ...NEVER 100% TRUST A DEALERS WORKMANSHIP

Learned a long time ago"NEVER ASSUME" check their work before you leave or watch from a distance. Had a oil plug cross threaded on a new pick'em up and saw oil dripping when they pulled it out. Dealer said was a new guy.DMAF , your responsability in the dealership. If we keep them on their toes this crap won't happen. Let them know you're there, watching and checking.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Changing oil is one of the easiest services on your bike you can do yourself. It can also be the cause ofa seriouscatastrophic problem if done incorrectly, especially by some green dealership kid who is more interested in his Ipod than the service he is performing on your bike.When you do it yourself you know it's done right and you get to decide what brands& types of oil goes in the holes. Just document the change intervals & receipts and they can not void the warranty.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one of the reasons why I bought the service manual, the fix my hog dvd and a killer Craftsman Mechanics tool set. I now do all my own mods, maint, and whatever else I can. It's a fun hobby too I might add.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

This is one of the reasons why I bought the service manual, the fix my hog dvd and a killer Craftsman Mechanics tool set. I now do all my own mods, maint, and whatever else I can. It's a fun hobby too I might add.
I second the "fix my hog" dvd. Along with the manual it makes most service procedures a piece of cake.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
drumer66
Tourer

whats the link on that DVD??

jim

Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
AKsavage
Tourer

A coworker of mine forgot to put oil back in a Volvo L90C frontend loader this winter.[:@] A $21,000 mistake, I'm surprised he still has a job.[:-]

Old 05-13-2007, 03:02 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: drumer66

whats the link on that DVD??

jim
Google "fix my hog" and select the sportster edition.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:03 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I service my own bike because
1. I trust myself
2. I don't have time to bring the bike to the dealer
3. I want to save some money for blink blink
4. They never check bike properly
If I make mistake, I blame myself, if I spend big $$ at the dealer and they make mistake, I am pissed.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:16 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The last time I had the Stealer service my bike the screwed up the the derby cover gasket putting it back together. The bike started leaking the next day while I was riding coated the whole back of the bike with Syn3, was getting dark didn't notice the leak until I did a dirt track racer slide through a left hand turn, didn't dump the bike but came pretty close. Now the Stealer will NEVER see my bike again. I have also noticed that the usally have their least experienced techs working on Sportsters, I have friends with Sportsters that have noticed the same thing at other Stealers.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ...NEVER 100% TRUST A DEALERS WORKMANSHIP