Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue concerning first gear Shifting. Would appreciate any insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Bryand46
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue concerning first gear Shifting. Would appreciate any insight

I have a 2013 Forty Eight with a little over 9k miles on it.

This morning I was leaving my place for work and while in first came to a stop at the stop sign in the neighborhood. I let the bike roll to a stop while holding in the clutch. Out of habit, I always press down on the shifter to make sure I'm starting in first again, but this time I shifted. I was already in first, and I'm positive I was in first, but it shifted down anyways to first again? That was the first issue.

I continued on and got on the main road, but when coming to a stop (sometimes I'll rev match but not this time) I pulled in the clutch and shifted down through all gears to come to a rolling stop and when I hit first, it was an unusually loud clunk. So much so that I was afraid something was breaking. I'm used to the typical first gear sportster clunk but this was bad. And I could smell a burning smell after it happened. I turned around to head back home so no further damage can be done and it did it again when coming to another stop (and doing the same thing running through gears while stopping). From neutral to first, it was fine, but when running through gears while stopping, it happened twice under the same circumstances.

Anyone else experience this or know what I should expect when I take the bike in?

Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryand46
I have a 2013 Forty Eight with a little over 9k miles on it.

This morning I was leaving my place for work and while in first came to a stop at the stop sign in the neighborhood. I let the bike roll to a stop while holding in the clutch. Out of habit, I always press down on the shifter to make sure I'm starting in first again, but this time I shifted. I was already in first, and I'm positive I was in first, but it shifted down anyways to first again? That was the first issue.

I continued on and got on the main road, but when coming to a stop (sometimes I'll rev match but not this time) I pulled in the clutch and shifted down through all gears to come to a rolling stop and when I hit first, it was an unusually loud clunk. So much so that I was afraid something was breaking. I'm used to the typical first gear sportster clunk but this was bad. And I could smell a burning smell after it happened. I turned around to head back home so no further damage can be done and it did it again when coming to another stop (and doing the same thing running through gears while stopping). From neutral to first, it was fine, but when running through gears while stopping, it happened twice under the same circumstances.

Anyone else experience this or know what I should expect when I take the bike in?
i'm an idiot but, i'd:

change out your fluid. see what comes out. maybe water got in there and is causing problems or something else has gone wrong.

is it still under warranty?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Bryand46
Novice

Not under warranty anymore, unfortunately. There hasn't been any rain or any reason for water to get in there recently but I'm going to change out my fluids regardless

Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Bryand46
Novice

I was just hoping anyone else may have experienced this and knows what is going on

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Did it pop out of gear, especially on acceleration? Check your clutch adjustment, too, if you smelled something burning.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Bryand46
Novice

It did not pop out of gear at all. Just shifted really hard, then the burning smell. I was thinking that it could be the clutch adjustment.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:13 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

That's the first thing I'd check, then.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

It was said above.

Drain and replace your trans oil w/ Harley oil.
Remove the derby.
Do a complete clutch adjustment.
Inspect oil for metal particles, excess clutch debris, etc.
Inspect clutch basket and disks.
Reassemble and test driver and let us know.

My guess....you have an improper clutch adjustment or improper oil affecting the clutch fiber. Worse case damaged/ broken clutch....which some co-members have reported as a known failure.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 AM
Triumph Jerry
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the shift shaft sloppy, ....excessive side play?