Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead speedo, turn signals and start button after turn signal wire stripped by tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM
makloon
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead speedo, turn signals and start button after turn signal wire stripped by tire

Hello everyone,
Other day after riding a couple of miles I noticed the speedometer on my 2007 Sportster 883C was dead and stuck on 80mph. Also noticed turn signals where not working and when I turned off the bike I couldnt start it again through the START button.(had to jump start it without cables).
Upon further inspection I noticed the wires for the back right turn signal had been stripped down to the wire by the back tire. I fixed the wiring but that particular turn signal remains out.

My theory is that stripped wire caused a short which caused all the damage.

---------------------------
QUICK SUMMARY
---------------------------

Question type:
Electrical

Bike:
2007 Sportster XL 883C

Symptoms:
- Dead speedometer. No digital display. Needle stuck on 80mph. Neutral light does come on.
- No turn signals.
- Start button does not work. Run switch does trigger fuel pump. Absolutely no sound after pressing start button.

Other:
Headlight on and bright. Breaklight on and bright. Front and back left turn lights on and bright. (not flashing when turn signal is activated)

Done:
Checked all fuses. All fuses are ok.
Fixed right turn signal wiring that was stripped by back tire.

ToDo
Check speedo sensor

P.S. Someone has sugested my bike has gone into "protection mode" and that the only way to fix it is by reseting the ECM. This sounds very expensive and I am not sure my bike has a security system installed.

Thank you all for any help offered.