Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Looks like we just circled the wagon train? HA..

Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Taggs
They should both be wet with oil. Looking more like that front cylinder umbrella valve. Don't have my manual in front of me but as I recall its item #25 in schematic from the HD manual.
Can you please expand on this theory? I don't quite understand how that would cause the oil to come out of only the rear breather. I'm not trying to discredit you or anything I simply don't know and want to understand this better. Thanks

Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

BH, let me first clarify my early am post. I was at work at the time with distractions there it's a challenge at times to give a clear description here. I should know better.

First, did you pick up a service manual? I personnaly like the HD brand. I know it's pricey but packed with good info.
Taken word for word from the HD manual Sportster Models, Crankcase Breathing System,
"On the piston downstroke, a mixture of crankcase air and oil MIST is vented up the push rod covers through a breather valve in each inner rocker box section."

The oil mist seperates from the crankcase air, collects and passes through a small drain hole adjacent to the exhaust valve in the head where it eventually returns to the crankcase.

The crankcase air is routed through a passage in each cylinder head. The crankcase air then travels through each air cleaner backing plate mounting bolt into the filtered side of the air cleaner.
Page 3-16 2005 Sportser:engine.

What I should have been more clear on is the presence of oil should be balanced and present from both heads at a minimum. What troubles me in thinking more about this and I keep going back to is the oil level in the reservoir. I realize you have been diligent with checking this but remember the mods made can slightly change things. That oil level should be at a low point marked on the dipstick. I would go just below the half full mark when hot. Sounds to simple but I would strongly recommend dropping that oil level to a point you may seem to feel is dangerously low or lower than what your used to and try it before opening up that engine.

Strangely what your having can occur with front cylinder only, back cylinder only or both when there is to much oil. Give an example, my wife rides a 883 low. It's been in storage so it's stone cold. I pulled the stick this morning and the oil level on a recent service is just touching the end of the stick. Just a few ounces drop in the oil level could be the difference.
Give it a try.

Last edited by Taggs; 02-12-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Taggs thanks for the clarification on that. I really don't believe it is the oil level because I cleaned up the oil on the engine and the breather hose and behind the breather cap on the backplate to make sure everything was dry. I drained a bit of oil out to where it was barely touching the bottom of the dip stick when hot and tried it again. Still had oil puke out. I don't want to go any lower than that for fear of having too little oil. Im not sure what is causing this to happen but it is only out of the rear breather. Need to find this soon so I can funally ride! It has been getting nice here in NM the last week or so.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 02-12-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Your providing some great suggestions. I just hate to see his engine taken down needlessly.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Taggs thanks for the clarification on that. I really don't believe it is the oil level because I cleaned up the oil on the engine and the breather hose and behind the breather cap on the backplate to make sure everything was dry. I drained a bit of oil out to where it was barely touching the bottom of the dip stick when hot and tried it again. Still had oil puke out. I don't want to go any lower than that for fear of having too little oil. Im not sure what is causing this to happen but it is only out of the rear breather. Need to find this soon so I can funally ride! It has been getting nice here in NM the last week or so.
Ok. It's time to get in there then. before you do though I would follow ripsaws recommend on a compression test. There is a prescribed way for that test easiest decribed from the manual. Your readings should show close and consistent on both cylinders. Let's see what that shows.

Last edited by Taggs; 02-12-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Taggs
Ok. It's time to get in there then. before you do though I would follow ripsaws recommend on a compression test. There is a prescribed way for that test easiest decribed from the manual. Your readings should show close and consistent on both cylinders. Let's see what that shows.
Will do just may be a while before I can buy a manual and compression test kit. I may be able to borrow the compression test kit from a friend but still no manual. Things have been rough financially up until lately and I have not been able to afford a manual yet. Thanks for all the suggestions and I will post an updat as soon as possible.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

It's either that or just go for broke and pop both those covers off. Replace both umbrella valves. Just be sure before opening up the work area has been sterilized,meaning grease and oil free. Once your covers are off you'll see the breather valve assemblies located just over the area of the breather head bolts.
Good luck.
I realize it's not but if it were in my garage I would perform a leak down test on each cylinder first. The compression test is good and easier for the DIY but not as telling.
Just sayin.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Will do just may be a while before I can buy a manual and compression test kit. I may be able to borrow the compression test kit from a friend but still no manual. Things have been rough financially up until lately and I have not been able to afford a manual yet. Thanks for all the suggestions and I will post an updat as soon as possible.
If you want to IM me your email, I'll send you pics and description for all those tests from my manual. If you were closer I would do it for nothing for you.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.