Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 551 Likes on 270 Posts

Number 25 in this picture. On the rear rocker box, this check valve needs to be mounted toward the front. On the front rocker box, it needs to be mounted toward the rear. In other words, toward the middle of the "V", adjacent to the breather bolts in both cases. If they screwed this up, it would cause your issue.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
Pop the top off one of the rocker boxes. It's only 4 screws. Make sure the breather check valves are there and installed adjacent to the breather bolts. If the front rocker box was accidentally put on the rear, and vice versa, you'd get exactly what you're seeing. Being a professional shop, you'd hope they wouldn't make that error, but it's possible. It's certainly something we see sometimes from our customers.
I don't have a service manual yet, is there a specific method of doing this and will I need new gaskets once I take the rocker box off? Any torque specs and thread locker type will be helpful. I just don't want to dive into something I can't handle or that will make the issue worse by doing this and the shop blame me for the malfunction, but on the other hand it would be nice to throw something in their face if the rocker boxes were swapped. I also am not familiar with where things should be within the rocker box. If possible any pictures would be of great help.

If this is the case would it cause the intermittent dumpings of oil or would it cause a constant flow of oil. I'm starting to think that hopefully it may be a clogged drain because it seems the oil had to build up over the length of my ride before it started coming out and once it did it was a pretty consistent drip. But then again I'm sure that is probably not the case with my luck.

Didn't see the response with the picture of the rocker box assembly before I posted this. Thanks for the reference.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-31-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aswracing

Number 25 in this picture. On the rear rocker box, this check valve needs to be mounted toward the front. On the front rocker box, it needs to be mounted toward the rear. In other words, toward the middle of the "V", adjacent to the breather bolts in both cases. If they screwed this up, it would cause your issue.
So if this is the issue, would it be as simple as just swapping the rocker boxes back? Thanks for all of the help and suggestions from everyone. It really seems like the shop is gonna leave me hanging with this one and I'm gonna need all of the help I can get on this.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Rest assured, if you go in, it's on you. They went into mine under the warranty 3 times. The comp bolt appeared to be loose. It actually was the alternator rotor spline stripped. The actually bolt was not loose. The only thing driving the rotor was the compensator spring but it let the rotor slip and wear the face till it let the chain get over too far. The forth time, I just went into it and discovered the real problem. When I carried it in to show them, they simple said by me working on it voided the extended warranty. I went all the way to the owner complaining. He kindly offered me 20% or so off parts to fix it. I serious doubt they would listen to you telling them what is wrong. I have see oil come off an oiled filter like that. However, you said it's coming off the breather vent filter. That is an aftermarket set up. It truly should be vented into front of intake to make baffle valves not flutter and there is a 10K fine for emissions mods like that but I think that only applies to shops. When vented to the intake, the air going in is not fast enough to pull air into intake, just the air. The oil falls out into the OEM airbox. However, that mod is not you problem since if it was dumping that much oil into head vent, it would poor out the air filter box.
I would wipe it off and ride it again. That is all I would do if you had a warrant with dealer.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:07 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

As to the gaskets, you can get a Cometic gasket EST rocker box kit from J&P. Really love the Cometic's.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Yea we're all EPA outlaws as soon as we put put a high flow A/C , decatted header and not stock muffs on.
But your local dealer will be glad t sell it and install for you

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 01-31-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

I have to agree with ripsaw, post #24. If you can get them to own it first before getting into it yourself would be the way to go. If they shut you out leaving you to take on the repair, get a service manual first. You can do it.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

If I absolutely have to I think I can get it done with a manual in hand. I would still be pretty nervous but I know I have some basic mechanical skills to fall upon so I think it is doable. I just wonder what else I will find wrong if I end up having to dig in myself. Its probably about time I get a manual and learn my bike inside and out anyway but I will try to get the shop to own up before I do anything to it myself.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Of course I have discovered an issue that I was unaware of. I went for my first ride after installing an external breather mod yesterday. After about half an hour of riding and one stop at a store, the bike puked oil everywhere! I dont mean just a drop here and there, the breather filter was bubbling with air coming out of the oil soaked fibers. What would cause so much oil to be dumped out like that? If I leave this as is I will be low on oil quick and will be leaving oil all over the road and my bike. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

To give some background, I had a Zipper's 88 ci kit installed and had problems right out of the gate with install mistakes made by my local dealer shop. They made right the screw ups and the bike ran pretty well this past summer.

There were a couple of occasions, far and few between, where I would be riding and a huge cloud of smoke would be let out of my exhaust and dissipate rather quickly, and only happened on very cool mornings once or twice. I asked my shop about it and they dismissed it as the cold and the moisture in the exhaust. It didn't happen again the rest of the summer.

Now that this has happened I'm thinking that a bunch of oil was dumpped into the air intake through the internal breathers those couple of times and produced the smoke I saw. What can cause such a high amount of oil blowby and what do I do now to fix this issue? Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

After re-reading your 1st post it becomes somewhat obvious the problem might be with the install of the aftermarket air filter. (see the red text in your post) That seems to be what you're saying. If that's the case then it's pretty clear the problem of the puking oil is related to that and not to the work that was done by the dealer last summer since you mention only a couple clouds of smoke but then you say "It didn't happen again the rest of the summer."

The clouds of smoke not withstanding, I think I'd take a real hard look at the air filter install and see if something wasn't missed or installed incorrectly. We've all done it on occasion ...... missed a small vent or vacuum hose hookup, etc. Chit happens that we, in good conscience cannot lay back to some work done a 1/2 year ago by a dealer, after which it ran well. Then we make some mod and begin having problems.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's hard to blame the dealer's work when you say yourself it ran pretty well until ............ You get the drift?

Another thing to consider is if the filter kit was a 'hand-me-down' from a friend with no instructions, or new in the box but we chose to not read the instructions, or maybe a small piece lost and not noticed. Again let me say........... chit happens.

From all you wrote it sure sounds like this just might be one of those times where chit has happened. I have serious doubt the dealer is going to see this as his problem. If he denies it, look into what some have already mentioned here. There's plenty of help to be gained here so you'll be fine.

Regards, Joe.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Joe makes a lotta sense!

Quick Reply: Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.