Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Umbrella valves are one way out. Doubt that is the problem.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:28 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

looks like too muck oil or an over oiled air filter after cleaning.

i've had both issues. the first is usually after a heavy handed oil change. second is usually after a heavy handed filter re-oiling.

i lowered my oil level to just over the halfway point. i stop going gonzo on the air filter oil too (tired of the red mess all over everything).

Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I don't know but I hope I can get it sorted out soon. I really wanted to ride this weekend too but thats not happening now.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:18 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

WOW!

That is a lot of oil carry-over. Sounds like you've ruled out all the usual suspects.

You have a good handle on it being an intermittent issue...borne out by the occasional smoke out of the exhaust when you were internally vented, and how it did not do it the entire time when you were externally vented.

Could be a plugged drain in the rocker boxes...more likely it is an oil pump related issue...probably the scavenging side.

Of course, being intermittent is the worst kind to deal with, but hopefully the shop is straight up and will get right on it for you.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
WOW!

That is a lot of oil carry-over. Sounds like you've ruled out all the usual suspects.

You have a good handle on it being an intermittent issue...borne out by the occasional smoke out of the exhaust when you were internally vented, and how it did not do it the entire time when you were externally vented.

Could be a plugged drain in the rocker boxes...more likely it is an oil pump related issue...probably the scavenging side.

Of course, being intermittent is the worst kind to deal with, but hopefully the shop is straight up and will get right on it for you.
Well they haven't gotten back to me yet so I may just have to stop by and have a talk. I just don't see how a practically brand new engine could just have problem after problem if it was assembled correctly. I just hope they own up to it and not try to blow smoke up my butt.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Well they haven't gotten back to me yet so I may just have to stop by and have a talk. I just don't see how a practically brand new engine could just have problem after problem if it was assembled correctly. I just hope they own up to it and not try to blow smoke up my butt.
I hope your right... A tech related mistake is a tough case to make with any shop. Thus, my mistrust in using them if at all possible. It's a tough spot for many folks, motorcycles, cars, I get that. I sincerely hope for a good outcome for you.

As far as riding it this weekend, jump on it! Many times the most simple cures pay off. The overfill oil level is for your position a good way to approach the issue. As long as you keep oil in the reservoir, you can't hurt it. Toss a quart in a pack and take it out. Let it warm up and then put the cheese to it! Providing your ok with the possibility of another oil mess clean up, it may just seek its own oil level and be ok.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Taggs
I hope your right... A tech related mistake is a tough case to make with any shop. Thus, my mistrust in using them if at all possible. It's a tough spot for many folks, motorcycles, cars, I get that. I sincerely hope for a good outcome for you.

As far as riding it this weekend, jump on it! Many times the most simple cures pay off. The overfill oil level is for your position a good way to approach the issue. As long as you keep oil in the reservoir, you can't hurt it. Toss a quart in a pack and take it out. Let it warm up and then put the cheese to it! Providing your ok with the possibility of another oil mess clean up, it may just seek its own oil level and be ok.
I thought about doing that but I think if anything else is wrong or happens to go wrong with it, it may make it even harder to plea my case. They would probably question why I kept riding it if I knew there was a problem that needed attention. I want this to be on them as much as possible so I decided not to ride it anymore until they can get on it, that's assuming they agree to make it right.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 AM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 545 Likes on 304 Posts

[QUOTE=DK Custom;14793569]
Could be a plugged drain in the rocker boxes...more likely it is an oil pump related issue...probably the scavenging side.[QUOTE]

I'm thinking like DK. Plugged drain in rocker boxes, or oil pump needs adjusted. Pop your lifter tubes and see if you can see any debris or a clogged drain hole. I had the same problem with mine shortly after I bought it, though not as bad as you describe. When I rebuilt the camchest, I replaced the umbrella valves and installed the upgraded oil pump. Haven't had a problem since. Good luck with finding a solution, puking oil sucks!!!!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I thought about doing that but I think if anything else is wrong or happens to go wrong with it, it may make it even harder to plea my case. They would probably question why I kept riding it if I knew there was a problem that needed attention. I want this to be on them as much as possible so I decided not to ride it anymore until they can get on it, that's assuming they agree to make it right.
A wise move. Keep us updated...

Old 01-31-2016, 04:06 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 551 Likes on 270 Posts

Pop the top off one of the rocker boxes. It's only 4 screws. Make sure the breather check valves are there and installed adjacent to the breather bolts. If the front rocker box was accidentally put on the rear, and vice versa, you'd get exactly what you're seeing. Being a professional shop, you'd hope they wouldn't make that error, but it's possible. It's certainly something we see sometimes from our customers.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil blowby: Help needed.