Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Hey there,

Check for belt tension or oil on the belt
Check primary chain tension
Check rough feel to engine & trannie bearings
Check tire pressures & tires in general -- try micro-bubles added to the wheel / tire to micro balance for smoother ride
Could be other stuff but this is the standard trouble spots.
Good luck on this.

Good list, thanks.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It should be relatively easy to determine whether it's motor/motor mounts or something else like belt, wheel balance, etc. At speed when you have the vibration, simply chop the throttle and pull in the clutch. If the vibration instantly disappears, it's likely a motor or motor mount issue.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
It should be relatively easy to determine whether it's motor/motor mounts or something else like belt, wheel balance, etc. At speed when you have the vibration, simply chop the throttle and pull in the clutch. If the vibration instantly disappears, it's likely a motor or motor mount issue.
That makes sense, thanks.

I've swapped back to the standard bars as I do feel i have more weight on my palms with the Keystone Zs. I don't understand why I wouldn't have noticed this earlier if it was the bars, but I guess it could be cumulative?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

I think I found what was wrong! The front wheel bearings in my other bike (SH300, which is my daily ride) were shot and the would have been putting vibration through the bars and into my hands. I think then riding the Harley just exacerbated the situation?

I fitted new bearings into the SH300 at the weekend and rode it yesterday and it was a smoother ride. I rode the Harley today and didnt get numb hands! I also fitted the OEM bars on the Harley so took the weight of my palms which would also have helped, I think?

I'm pretty sure that was the cause, but either way i'm glad to have found out nothing is wrong with the Harley! Thanks for all the replies an advice.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to be safe, check your wheel bearings...I have had 2 failures, one at speed without any warning. That one did 1200 bucks damage and I almost left the road....after 08, the bearings are not as beefy or made as well as the older ones...lots of failures recorded.
Stay warm and ride safe.
Ps In new england and was able to ride the last 2 days!!! Awesome!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Just to be safe, check your wheel bearings...I have had 2 failures, one at speed without any warning. That one did 1200 bucks damage and I almost left the road....after 08, the bearings are not as beefy or made as well as the older ones...lots of failures recorded.
Stay warm and ride safe.
Ps In new england and was able to ride the last 2 days!!! Awesome!

Thanks, will do.

Its been a pretty mild winter here in the south of Old England, so I've been riding the Harley a lot more than i expected too! I'll still be glad whne spring gets here though. I hate riding dressed up in heavy biking gear.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:01 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Life in Essex is a white knuckle experience at any time or season! We've had a cold snap recently, but weather is a bit warmer of late.
Rise of the foot soldier 1 and 2.

Yes!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I'd check to see if your front tire may be cupped as well. Run your hand around the tread and if it's lumpy it could be the cause of your vibration.

My Sportster made everything go numb when I rode it at a constant speed on the superslab until I learned to relax a bit as well. I was new to riding then and didnt understand how to relax out on the rode.

Might want to also consider moving the height of your bars around to see if you have a better position your arms dont go numb in. Even a little change can mean a lot of difference.

Sound like you have it solved but the stuff I mentioned could be culprits as well.

Just my .02

Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

After you've ruled out all the mechanical issues that could cause vibration,
you could add different grips, handlebar end-weights, etc...

For instance, I've added Vibronators, ISO grips with end-weights to
the OL's Iron and the buzz is almost non-existent.
(did this so the OL wouldn't complain riding longer distances on
long weekend trips)

good luck,

T.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. Im going to check it over at the weekend, but I've been commuting to work on it and not having any problems. I can only put it down to riding for some time with a vibration coming through the bars of my sh300 and then the normal vibration of the Harley just compounding the situation? The scooter feels uncannily smooth and the Harley, well just like a Harley, which I kinda like! Have to say its a relief that there isn't anything wrong with the Harley!!

A lot of people mention ISO grips on here. These are the Kurkyan ones yes?

Quick Reply: Increasing vibration?