Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
ROB HOGAN
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Performance

Hi guys, first time here.
I have a 98 Sportster 1200 with a V&H 2-1 exhaust and have an aftermarket air cleaner kit. I will soon be switching over to single fire ignition.

When I checked the specs for this bike it says it only has 59HP stock. My previous bike was a 69 triumph trident chopper (57hp when stock)which had head work mikuni carb and oversized pistons. I can definitely say that the Sportster stock (which is also heavier) would leave my triumph in the dust.

So I guess my question is; does the Sportster really only have 59 stock ponies? And if so how much do you guys feel a performance air cleaner, exhaust and single fire ignition would add? I'm hoping to eventually build it up into a 100HP monster but for now just doing the quick and cheaper upgrades.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:51 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I would not know about a 98 but my 2012 48 was around 55 hp and 50 ft/lbs torque stock and with V&H big radius pipes, SE heavy breather and race tuner it jumped to 77hp and 76 ft/lbs torque. I would think u could expect something similar but again I would not know. Now im at 97hp and 94 ft/lbs torque. There is a 126hp monster lurking around this forum under the name madnss. Check this one out if you want to see a true monster!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...tq-1250-a.html

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 PM
ROB HOGAN
Stage IV

Damn..I may seriously have to consider a 1250 kit :/ I hear great things about hammer performance.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB HOGAN
I have a 98 Sportster 1200 with a V&H 2-1 exhaust and have an aftermarket air cleaner kit. I will soon be switching over to single fire ignition.

When I checked the specs for this bike it says it only has 59HP stock. My previous bike was a 69 triumph trident chopper (57hp when stock)which had head work mikuni carb and oversized pistons. I can definitely say that the Sportster stock (which is also heavier) would leave my triumph in the dust.

So I guess my question is; does the Sportster really only have 59 stock ponies? And if so how much do you guys feel a performance air cleaner, exhaust and single fire ignition would add? I'm hoping to eventually build it up into a 100HP monster but for now just doing the quick and cheaper upgrades.
Welcome to the Forum!

59 hp is about right...the quicker take off you feel is from the torque your HD has.

Good air cleaner and dialing in the carb, possibly some Thunder Torque Inserts and you should feel even more power.

An NRHS 1250 upgrade, along with some cams and headwork will be a big step toward the 100 hp mark, if that is what you are chasing.

Here's a vid of my 883 with a 1250 upgrade. Lots of fun!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
sponfit (04-13-2018)
Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi Rob, from just up the road! I'm sure we had a similar request recently. If you are serious about wanting 100HP it can be done and we have several threads on fitting a 1250 kit. Use Advanced Search for '1250' and you will find some interesting reading.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

2 cents: save your money and don't purchase the single fire coil. Of course an adjustable ignition is required when you start building the engine. Not so much for a basically stock engine. My 23 year old stock dual fire is holding up just fine with a good amount of hp behind it

Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Thumper87
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ROB HOGAN

The only why to find out what your bike as for hp and tq is to put it on a dyno. There are way to many variables to go by what someone else says they have with like components.

The reality is if you are truly going after a big HP build you are just going to waste you money with cheap upgrades. Everything has to work together. I am not sure what your definition of cheap upgrades are but cheap horsepower usually consists of air cleaner and exhaust. Take a look at the dyno sheets on hammers website. They have tested more exhausts than anyone.

Personally, if I was going for a high hp build I would contact hammer, see what they recommend and start buying the parts on the list. Sure maybe you can't afford everything at once which is fine but you will have something to work off of so you are not just buying parts that are going to be useless when you have money for the 1250 kit, headwork, cams, etc.

If you decide you don't want to go all out with headwork and a 1250 kit I would get ahold of hammer and ask for advice on a set of cams. That should get you an additionally 4 to 8 hp for a few hundred bucks.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Bonneville Racer
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you just give your money away I recommend you do lots of research and talk to several of the companies that specialize in Sportster performance. You might be surprised at how much one company charges for a similar package compared to another.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonneville Racer
Before you just give your money away I recommend you do lots of research and talk to several of the companies that specialize in Sportster performance. You might be surprised at how much one company charges for a similar package compared to another.
Are the packages similar in quality and power???

Quick Reply: Sportster Performance