Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016 | 08:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Old 01-19-2016 | 07:44 PM
sawka
|
Tourer

I thought I would follow up on this since I figured out a solution WITHOUT buying a whole new exhaust system. I thought about it on a plane ride hole as was mentioned earlier about cutting the baffles. I thought about fluid mechanics and how it would work and came with this concept which Im sure is nothing new to the motorcycle industry. Since the air flows through the center and is forced outward I cut the baffles and turned it around so the air would go to the outside and be forced inward making it a bit more free flowing although not a muffled. This just required a drill for a new screw hole and a hack saw.

I made them 5 inches overall so I could cut them down as necessary. Then reinserted and reinstalled the TTI's

Once I got out I realized that although it was not as quiet as before it was a great sound now a bit less of the power I had straight piped with the tti's. This is worth mentioning again this isnt the best but it is rather cheap. I had no intention of gaining more power by doing this mod I simply wanted it a bit quiter without LOSING all power. Im sure Ill be reminded again that 2 into 1's are better and that is great but This is a way t make due with a look you like. I have a video of the sound but i need to pack for another trip so if somebody really cares I can add it when I get back. There is a tiny hiccup when i first give it the throttle but it wasnt noticeably when I took it out and I still had all the low end I could have hopped for with drag pipes. I hope this fix helps anyone with a similar issue.

Old 01-19-2016 | 10:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sawka
I thought I would follow up on this since I figured out a solution WITHOUT buying a whole new exhaust system. I thought about it on a plane ride hole as was mentioned earlier about cutting the baffles. I thought about fluid mechanics and how it would work and came with this concept which Im sure is nothing new to the motorcycle industry. Since the air flows through the center and is forced outward I cut the baffles and turned it around so the air would go to the outside and be forced inward making it a bit more free flowing although not a muffled. This just required a drill for a new screw hole and a hack saw.

I made them 5 inches overall so I could cut them down as necessary. Then reinserted and reinstalled the TTI's

Once I got out I realized that although it was not as quiet as before it was a great sound now a bit less of the power I had straight piped with the tti's. This is worth mentioning again this isnt the best but it is rather cheap. I had no intention of gaining more power by doing this mod I simply wanted it a bit quiter without LOSING all power. Im sure Ill be reminded again that 2 into 1's are better and that is great but This is a way t make due with a look you like. I have a video of the sound but i need to pack for another trip so if somebody really cares I can add it when I get back. There is a tiny hiccup when i first give it the throttle but it wasnt noticeably when I took it out and I still had all the low end I could have hopped for with drag pipes. I hope this fix helps anyone with a similar issue.
Put your TTI's back in with those cut down baffles and you will gain back more torque and will also lower the tone some. btw, W version of the TTI's make a more pleasant tone (for most) and definitely create more power.

Old 01-19-2016 | 10:39 PM
sawka
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Put your TTI's back in with those cut down baffles and you will gain back more torque and will also lower the tone some. btw, W version of the TTI's make a more pleasant tone (for most) and definitely create more power.
I did put the TTI's back in without hesitation. If i didnt The low end power would just not be there. Great product by the way. I specifically used the q version simply to keep noise down a bit and I am still extremely satisfied with the torque I got back.

Old 01-20-2016 | 11:11 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sawka
I did put the TTI's back in without hesitation. If i didnt The low end power would just not be there. Great product by the way. I specifically used the q version simply to keep noise down a bit and I am still extremely satisfied with the torque I got back.
Cool deal!