Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning my own wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:04 AM
JoePez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning my own wrench

Hello fellow Sportsters, looking for a little bit of advice.
It's been a while since I've ridden (2011). I've since done some maturing and decided to get past my crotch rocket phase and get a Harley (see album).

One of the things that attracted me to Harley besides being American and the history is that I can truly make My bike, MY Own.

That being said, I am excited to be turning my own wrench on my own bike. (yes, I'm aware of whatever parts I put on won't be covered by the warranty)
all in all, I am looking for some advice. I am going to be installing a mustache engine guard tomorrow which I suspect will be to easy as it only requires four bolts. What I am looking to get more info on is...

I am considering removing the slip-ons and wrapping the pipes with heat tape. I was told that back pressure might become an issue. Is this true or not? is this even something worth doing? additionally, will this give my bike more throat out of the pipes?

-Joe

Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Find a HD you like and buy it, get the manual. If you can change a piston you will be fine on a sporster or bigger.

Its all smiles when you consistently peel-out at all stops, let the rockets catch-up and wave them past as they get on the pipe and the RPM surge, you are in 3rd and riding a cruiser, enjoy the difference on a bike for people over 12.

IMHO: If you want you can ride it like you stole it but why?

Cheers.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

engine guard is easy peasy... wrapping the pipes offer minimum performance benefit
but looks kinda cool, if won't affect backpressure, but it can make the pipes rust out faster..the wrapping also doesn't stay 'new' looking very long and you really can't clean it to get the 'new' look back....wait a minute, I just went back and reread your post, are you talking about wrapping the header pipe or wrapping the baffle in the slip on???

Old 01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
JoePez
2nd Gear

Purchase has been complete, I bought it in November.
I'm talking about removing the stock slip-ons and stock shotgun heat shields and simply wrapping the pipes with the heat tape.
You bring up a good point of the tape not staying "new" for long. I was thinking on using black tape as opposed to the white for that reason as well as to keep the blacked out look of the bike.

How much more throat can I expect, if any by doing this?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Beagle48
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was never good turning a wrench, I always had the dealer do it $$, but with my 48, it's all been me so far. Grenades pipes, air filter, and tuning. All easy per-sey, just need the time, fair set of tools, and a good space to work. Good luck with your many projects to come 👍

Old 01-08-2016, 02:36 PM
jmann8686
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePez
Hello fellow Sportsters, looking for a little bit of advice.
It's been a while since I've ridden (2011). I've since done some maturing and decided to get past my crotch rocket phase and get a Harley (see album).

One of the things that attracted me to Harley besides being American and the history is that I can truly make My bike, MY Own.

That being said, I am excited to be turning my own wrench on my own bike. (yes, I'm aware of whatever parts I put on won't be covered by the warranty)
all in all, I am looking for some advice. I am going to be installing a mustache engine guard tomorrow which I suspect will be to easy as it only requires four bolts. What I am looking to get more info on is...

I am considering removing the slip-ons and wrapping the pipes with heat tape. I was told that back pressure might become an issue. Is this true or not? is this even something worth doing? additionally, will this give my bike more throat out of the pipes?

-Joe
Can't chime in on the engine guard but if it is four bolts and it is installed should not be to difficult. as far as the exhaust question you have if I understand correctly taking off the mufflers will make the bike sound different. louder but As far as the throat sound goes I'm not sure it will give you that. depends on your taste. but you will lose backpressure. and you will either need to re jet or re map your bike. Not sure what year of bike you have. I can speak from experience that wrapping your pipes even in black tape will fade to a grey/whitish color. I'm running straight drag pipes with about 6" cut off each one and have them wrapped. They have been wrapped for about three years now. Started off nice pretty black and have faded over time. they need to be rewrapped just have not gotten around to it yet.

Wrenching on your bike can be fun. It can be frustrating as well. But when you get it all finished up it is worth the frustration. The only time I take my bike into the dealer is when I have a tire issue. And it is just the tire. Never the bike. Way to expensive. That and I don't like dealing with dealerships. a good work space is nice. having a set a normal tools to work is a must. Then buy the odd ball tools when you need them. A good Manual is always nice as well. I use mine mainly for tourqe specs for bolts or if I have to take a fork apart or something that just needs a repair and that is not getting a aftermarket or homemade item put back on. Other then that I don't look at it. That is just me. I try and make as much stuff as possible. I don't have money to buy things but I have the ability and access to material to make things. it is the way I make my bike my own. Thats just my .02.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:50 PM
kguittar12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look into DK customs thunder torque inserts. it will solve the back pressure issue of losing your baffles. without baffles the sound will be much different, but the TTIs will help tame that.

also, I have my pipes wrapped and haven't had an issue. if you go with black you can pick up a can of silicon spray and as they start to fade you can respray them black.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM
JoePez
2nd Gear

UPDATE: Like I said, I was looking to make the best of my day off today and work on the bike. I was mostly excited because I was eager to use the new high speed tool set that my wife got me for christmas specifically to be able to work on the bike.
After having my morning coffee I went out to the garage to start putting in work on installing the engine guard. Progress was halted before it even began because while the tool set did come with a set of torque wrench adapters, it did not have the right one. Damn...
I also realized that I have remove the horn assembly and reattach it after the guard is put on.
I am going to make a run to Sears or Auto-Zone (I also need to replace my brake light in my truck) and buy the necessary tools. I might even make a run to the dealer and pick up a shirt with the gift card I got.

Returning to the slip-ons, after mulling over your guy's advice I think it best to just save up some pennies and invest in a quality after market exhaust system. If it requires changing the headers though I am not going to touch that, I don't trust myself just yet.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Engine guard has four bolts 2 top and 2 bottom. I believe you need to remove the bolts that connect the top engine mounts to the frame for the engine guard. The bottom one is straightfoward. Not difficult but takes some patience like all mods.

IF you do decide to remove your slip-ons and wrap, also suggest you get DK Customs TTIs. I've heard vids of cut out baffles and IMO they do not sound very good and you will lose low-end torque, but after the TTIs were installed, you get a deeper throaty sound and reduce/eliminate reversion. I think you are on the right track with respect to just replacing the exhaust. Removing the entire system is not difficult...something you can do even if you are a beginner wrencher. Be sure to replace gaskets if you do. As previously suggested, get a service manual if you plan to work on the bike.

IMHO I only use high speed impact wrench to remove bolts but use hand tools to tighten and torque to spec. You don't want to strip the thread or break the bolt. Always use locktite. I use blue on almost everything.

Good luck...it is fun to work on your own bike. Don't pay someone else to do mods for you. Make it your own. I only take my bike to the dealership when I need a safety check and since it's there, I service the clutch/brake, trans/belts, electrical, wheels/tires....it's peace of mine and safety. I do all the mods myself and I am not a proficient wrencher. This forum will help you along the way...it has for me, but I do have a manual.

Last edited by hscic; 01-08-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle48
I too was never good turning a wrench, I always had the dealer do it $$, but with my 48, it's all been me so far. Grenades pipes, air filter, and tuning. All easy per-sey, just need the time, fair set of tools, and a good space to work. Good luck with your many projects to come ��
Those are some awesome looking pipes. How does it sound?

Last edited by hscic; 01-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Turning my own wrench