Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning my own wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 04:27 PM
JoePez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the manual as I bought the bike from the dealer. Guess I better peruse that before I go making a costly mistake.

Now, in an effort to keep an open mind, are there any slip-ons that you guys are personally running or know of that can get me that extra oomph?

It's a little disheartening when my wife can tell I am getting home from work when I'm in my truck and not on the Iron. Aside from the fact that being in CA with the most ignorant drivers they are more apt to hear me before they see me.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePez
I do have the manual as I bought the bike from the dealer. Guess I better peruse that before I go making a costly mistake.

Now, in an effort to keep an open mind, are there any slip-ons that you guys are personally running or know of that can get me that extra oomph?

It's a little disheartening when my wife can tell I am getting home from work when I'm in my truck and not on the Iron. Aside from the fact that being in CA with the most ignorant drivers they are more apt to hear me before they see me.
Here is a thread that I started when I was looking for new pipes. I personally like Bassani but it did not have the correct crossover ports so went with Rush. It's a personal preference. Good luck.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-videos.html

Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Beagle48
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hscic
Those are some awesome looking pipes. How does it sound?
Thanks,
Now I'm not just saying this cause it's my Bike, and I want to blow Smoke up my ***, but the New V&H Grenades are probably the most unique sounding pipes of the V&H line.
They have a deeper "Booming" type rumble that sounds completely different from all the higher pitched V&H usual's like the Straight shots/short shots and Big Radius.
Be aware that these are LOUD...Loud in a good way but LOUD

With Gift cards and money I had on credit, I got them at Revzilla for $495, they usually go for $630, for Chrome, and $719 for the Black.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the gut the stockers & put TTIs in them as well. I was not happy at all with it. It's obnoxiously loud, like an open header late model dirt car loud, not the " Thats a Harley" rumble most associate with an American v twin. And I lost a good bit of low end from about 1800-3000rpms. I think it's cause the TTIs aren't large enough for a gutted stock slip on, even the W258s had a large gap around them. If they are put into the correct size pipe with a small gap, they probably work good.

If you want a good affordable slip on I recommend the Wyatt Gatlings brand. My performance is as good as stock but sounds way better. I left the baffles in like the sound of them. And for under $150 shipped I think they are great. Here's a few pics of them with header wrap.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle48

With Gift cards and money I had on credit, I got them at Revzilla for $495, they usually go for $630, for Chrome, and $719 for the Black.
Don't we love supply & demand? Remember when chrome was always more then black. Now that black us popular it suddenly cost more to use high heat black paint or powder coat then chrome.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Beagle48
Advanced
Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
Don't we love supply & demand? Remember when chrome was always more then black. Now that black us popular it suddenly cost more to use high heat black paint or powder coat then chrome.
I almost did get the Black with nickel tips, but I just liked the contrast of the Chrome, and it's easier to keep shiny and maintain.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle48
Thanks,
Now I'm not just saying this cause it's my Bike, and I want to blow Smoke up my ***, but the New V&H Grenades are probably the most unique sounding pipes of the V&H line.
They have a deeper "Booming" type rumble that sounds completely different from all the higher pitched V&H usual's like the Straight shots/short shots and Big Radius.
Be aware that these are LOUD...Loud in a good way but LOUD

Me like LOUD....me no like the price...LOL

Gee those are high cost pipes even at 495. I think bassani's and rush were between 200-300.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Beagle48
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hscic
Me like LOUD....me no like the price...LOL

Gee those are high cost pipes even at 495. I think bassani's and rush were between 200-300.

Yup, a little Pricey, but once you hear them, and feel how they make the bike pull, with the FP3, and Grenade intake...and Looks, Price was not an issue.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello fellow Sportsters, looking for a little bit of advice.
It's been a while since I've ridden (2011). I've since done some maturing and decided to get past my crotch rocket phase and get a Harley (see album).

One of the things that attracted me to Harley besides being American and the history is that I can truly make My bike, MY Own.

That being said, I am excited to be turning my own wrench on my own bike. (yes, I'm aware of whatever parts I put on won't be covered by the warranty)
all in all, I am looking for some advice. I am going to be installing a mustache engine guard tomorrow which I suspect will be to easy as it only requires four bolts. What I am looking to get more info on is...

I am considering removing the slip-ons and wrapping the pipes with heat tape. I was told that back pressure might become an issue. Is this true or not? is this even something worth doing? additionally, will this give my bike more throat out of the pipes?

-Joe
Remove baffles from slipon's for nice rumble, make a couple of lolly pops for slipon's to regain lost power, fun to make and very cheep, ask for details or search threads. Wrapping pipes looks like **** to me but to each his own.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:29 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by misput
remove baffles from slipon's for nice rumble, make a couple of lolly pops for slipon's to regain lost power, fun to make and very cheep, ask for details or search threads. Wrapping pipes looks like **** to me but to each his own.
Turning my own wrench-lollipop-one.jpeglollipop needs to be about 2/3 the diameter of pipe or slipon, no welding required with this type and just as effective. Sorry I could not find a better picture.

Last edited by misput; 01-10-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Turning my own wrench