Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision Autotune

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
kyle76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Vision Autotune

Got a Dynojet Power Vision.

Got a Dynojet Power Vision and I've started the autotune process. They don't give you **** for instructions with the device. I finally found a pdf on the Dynojet website that has instructions for it.

I noticed that both times I was riding around in autotune mode, I occasionally had decel pop and when I was stopped and reved the engine, I would sometime get a horrible sounding fizzle/pop sound and the engine would sound like it was about to stall. It sounds horrible, like I'm hurting the bike.

In the pdf on the Dynojet website, it says that autone mode retards the timing slightly and turns some sensors off.

So I guess it is normal for the bike to perform worse when autotuning?

I loaded the new custom tune produced by the autotune, and the bike went back to running fine.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 551 Likes on 270 Posts

Watch this video, it's loaded with good info on autotuning: http://blogs.dynojet.com/index.php/2...-power-vision/

Yes, the bike runs poorly while in autotune basic mode, that's normal. It's running the motor lean so that the stock narrow band sensors are in their response range, and it's also pulling timing so that the leanness doesn't melt a piston. Between those two things, it runs pretty bad. But as you mention, once you export the learned valves, disable AT, and then flash the result map in the normal manner, it runs better.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:34 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Yea, it's going to run like crap during the auto tune A few tricks I figured out: when you do an auto tune run set the screen to monitor the fuel cells, they're going to go from green to a yellow/orange to red when they max out on data, the goal is to fill as many cells as you can with red, by watching the run progress you'll see all the areas you're not hitting and can adjust your riding to hit them. When you finish the run don't turn off the ignition, use the kill switch. Save the run, then apply your new tune before you turn off the ignition...

Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM
kyle76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, when I bought it Amazon.com wanted to add a $12 handlebar mount to the shopping cart. I should have just gotten that.

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Yea, it's going to run like crap during the auto tune A few tricks I figured out: when you do an auto tune run set the screen to monitor the fuel cells, they're going to go from green to a yellow/orange to red when they max out on data, the goal is to fill as many cells as you can with red, by watching the run progress you'll see all the areas you're not hitting and can adjust your riding to hit them. When you finish the run don't turn off the ignition, use the kill switch. Save the run, then apply your new tune before you turn off the ignition...

Old 01-01-2016, 07:20 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN032-AMPS-Motorcycle-Connection-Compatible/dp/B003FMUP14 http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN032-AMPS-Motorcycle-Connection-Compatible/dp/B003FMUP14

I have 2 now. Invaluable.

Heed tincup... he took my money and made me buy a pv. 100% glad i did.

Last edited by cvaria; 01-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:26 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
Watch this video, it's loaded with good info on autotuning: http://blogs.dynojet.com/index.php/2...-power-vision/

Yes, the bike runs poorly while in autotune basic mode, that's normal. It's running the motor lean so that the stock narrow band sensors are in their response range, and it's also pulling timing so that the leanness doesn't melt a piston. Between those two things, it runs pretty bad. But as you mention, once you export the learned valves, disable AT, and then flash the result map in the normal manner, it runs better.
Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
There ya go ^^^^^
Also make sure the engine is hot before running autotune, it helps.

I remember mine kicked like a mule a couple of times.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

one other thing that helps is to start with a tune that lists a similar set up to what you are running. if there is one from the PV website that matches your components, or is pretty close, load that tune first, then start the auto tune process.
m