Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought 03 Sportster 883. Need To Know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:23 PM
FilthyPlumber
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought 03 Sportster 883. Need To Know?

Just got it home Saturday night. I've owned sport bikes but I have never ridden a Harley. It feels natural to me. Way more comfortable. But I know nothing about Harley's needs or maintenance. Anything you wish you would have known earlier or any tips or info you think someone should know?

Old 12-20-2015, 05:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley produces excellent manuals. When new your bike came with an owners manual, which provides maintenance schedules and a few items of use. Unfortunately they seem to disappear in no time flat and are seldom passed on to second owners - there must be a mountain of the darned things somewhere! The other is the service manual, which covers maintenance in great detail. Both are available from your local dealer.

When you have a specific query come back and we'll help you out. There is a Tech section with Stickies covering popular problem areas and members are always happy to give help. Welcome to the world of Harleys and Sportsters!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:05 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you upgrade it to a stage 1 kit, pipes and air filter, rejet the carb with a CVP tuner kit. Made a huge difference for my bike. Might even check with them even if you dont have kit on it as they run lean from factory
http://www.cv-performance.com/

Old 12-20-2015, 06:51 PM
FilthyPlumber
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Harley produces excellent manuals. When new your bike came with an owners manual, which provides maintenance schedules and a few items of use. Unfortunately they seem to disappear in no time flat and are seldom passed on to second owners - there must be a mountain of the darned things somewhere! The other is the service manual, which covers maintenance in great detail. Both are available from your local dealer.

When you have a specific query come back and we'll help you out. There is a Tech section with Stickies covering popular problem areas and members are always happy to give help. Welcome to the world of Harleys and Sportsters!
That's what I was hoping to find!

Originally Posted by normannewguy
If you upgrade it to a stage 1 kit, pipes and air filter, rejet the carb with a CVP tuner kit. Made a huge difference for my bike. Might even check with them even if you dont have kit on it as they run lean from factory
http://www.cv-performance.com/
That explains why it feels boggy when I open it up but runs great at partial throttle. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

First thing I'd check on a used bike, especially if low mileage over 10 years old, is the age of the tires. Lot of low mileage older sportsters out there, and those original style Harley Dunlops were nothing to brag about when they were new. 10 years old, they've hardened and even Harley's smallest can break the rear end loose easy with a little throttle on corners. If those are original, or even half the age of the bike, I'd replace them soon - and don't forget the tubes, they're cheap enough anyway. You won't get sport bike cornering just with tires, but using something like Avons will sure give you better grip over those Dunlops.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Ya gotta get dud'd up like "Bad Boy Brad"

Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
First thing I'd check on a used bike, especially if low mileage over 10 years old, is the age of the tires. Lot of low mileage older sportsters out there, and those original style Harley Dunlops were nothing to brag about when they were new. 10 years old, they've hardened and even Harley's smallest can break the rear end loose easy with a little throttle on corners. If those are original, or even half the age of the bike, I'd replace them soon - and don't forget the tubes, they're cheap enough anyway. You won't get sport bike cornering just with tires, but using something like Avons will sure give you better grip over those Dunlops.
Plus one on that.
Oh yeah replace the tires, mine had sat so much it had flat spots and broken belts

Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
...and don't forget the tubes....
looks like the bike has mags, no tubes there.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
looks like the bike has mags, no tubes there.
That reminded me, bought a bike with solid wheels once, about 10 years old, had newer tires, but a rubber valve stem broke off when I tried to put air in it. Was really lucky, did it in my garage. If the used bike has rubber valve stems, replace them, no telling how old they are. Usually as old as the bike... I always use metal stems, too.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:59 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Final year of the rigid mount. Great score.

All downhill from there IMO.

John