Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Jumpxtremist
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Cover

While out riding today I ran into a construction zone. Could not avoid hitting a manhole cover. It popped open the battery cover but I didn't loose it.

I didn'tknow the cover had popped open till much later though andby that time I had scuff marks on it from where it rubbed up and down on the top of the rear brake rez.

Did not realize HD had such a rinky dink way ofsecuring its covers. Anyone here have a logical fix for this?

The cover was seated properly but was just bumped loose. Pisser since now I have to rub out the paint and re wax the hec out of it. Never had a bike before with covers that were simply cliped in place. Very poor design. [:@]

Jumpman

Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Battery Cover

Thank to the stupid plastic clips, it never happened to me but it did happen to many people. They have been talking about this in the forum, do a search.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
spstrmike
Stage III

The battery cover on my xl didn't fit well enough to snap the right clip on. I used pressure sensitive velcro in the area of the oil tank seam and it works fine, seperates well when removing the cover. Regards, Mike

Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Chuck those no-good plastic clips in the trash. Use a coupe zip ties and pack a couple spares when you ride in case you need to cut them to get at the battery.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're lucky. After the dealership replacing my clips 3 different times, one day mine not only popped off. It came completely off. Dunno where it is.

The MoCo is not willing to replace this under warranty. At least so far, it's been several months, but they are starting warm up to me a bit after being contacted by a government consumer agency.

I've since bought one on ebay, but the one that was lost had the chrome wingtip trim, which I haven't replaced. So, I want the MoCo to replace that also. Then I can resale the one I picked up on ebay.

Oh, and you can just drill a whole through those plastic clips and stick a cable tie straight down in there, the top of the cable tie will hold it in place, then you don't have to worry about taking along extras and cutting off the one if you need to get into the battery cover.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Oh, and you can just drill a whole through those plastic clips and stick a cable tie straight down in there, the top of the cable tie will hold it in place, then you don't have to worry about taking along extras and cutting off the one if you need to get into the battery cover.
Even though I never had a problem with the battery cover coming loose, I still did the 'drilling trick' just to make sure it stayed put....

It's only a problem on the battery side, as the cover on the oil tank side has 2 studs that hold the cover in place. As you can see in the below picture, the oil tank cover has 2 holes in the top edge that fit over the 2 mounting studs. That 'son of a gun' will never come off, in fact to remove the cover you need to 'gentle ply' the cover over the studs to pop it off.

The battery side is a different story, as it is held in place by nothing more than a pressure fit.

It's a design flaw, and Harley knows of the problem. In fact, they have come out with another set of plastic clamps that are suppose to provide a tighter fit. I had the new revised clips, but still didn't trust them.

Don't know why HD didn't use the '2 stud system' like they have on the oil tank side.

Guess it was just another way to save a few cents on the manufacturing costs.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Cajun Fat Bob
Tourer

the same thing happened to me the same week i bought the bike....i was riding and all of a sudden the cover was hanging...to temporarily (sp?) fix the problem, i used a black tie rap or tie strap...never had a problem since.. and so i went to the dealer and they gave me a new clip because it was under warranty but i didnt bother putting it on...ill just wait until i have to change the battery or something....just pick up the seat and put the tie rap and clip it flush...all fixed up...hope this helps..

Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything's designed to a price... occasionally they err on the side of cheapness.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Heart Attack
Stage I

I had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty. There is also a rubber gromet that is in thebattery side that needs to be there. If it is missing you can be assured it will come off.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Jumpxtremist
Intermediate

Thanks guy's. Believe I will drill and zipp strip the SOB. and pick up a couple of spare grommets for the battery coverwhile I'm at it.

Still can/t believe that &@#@$

Jumpman

Quick Reply: Battery Cover