Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Battery Cover

ORIGINAL: Heart Attack

I had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty. There is also a rubber gromet that is in thebattery side that needs to be there. If it is missing you can be assured it will come off.
That rubber gromet apears to be something they've changed. The cover I bought on ebay was off of an 04 Sporty. The rubber gromet was on there. I know that gromet was not on my 06, and in fact, there was NO WAY that battery cover would go on my 06 until I took that rubber gromet off. This was discussed a few months ago when all of this was going on.

I'm not sure if it was changed in 05 or 06, but they made some slight change in the bottom part of the battery cover mounting design.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
XLer8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure they just shed off the parts they don't really need. Run 'er!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Jumpxtremist
Intermediate

In looking over the cover again I realized that the scuffs / scratches are to deep to rub out. Contacted HD 3 times this morning - put me on hold then hung up on me all three times.

Contacted all of the dealers in my area to see if they will honor the warrantee so far they all say its not covered because its a paint issue. I informed them that it not a paint issue but a design flaw. No good.

Wife wants her own bike when she retires in a few years. Planed on giving her the 1200C and ordering a Heritage Softail. Just took one out for a demo as a matter of fact but there's no way in hell I would buy another Harley now.

Am now looking forward to the reintroduction of the Indian Chief with the Roush Power Plus 100 or perhaps The Honda 1800 V twin cruiser since Honda is now the only motorcycle actually made in America with 100% domestic content.

Tired of being nickle and dimed[:@]Damn shame over something as stupid as a battery cover but if Harley is willing to give me grief over this what would they do over something serious. Not willing to find out. Hate to say it but this was my first and last Harley Davidson. I judge a company by how well it supports its products.

Jumpman

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know the feeling my friend. I felt the same way, and still do to some extent. Not totally sure I'll ever buy another Harley. I went and test drove a Victory Motorcycle just a few days after my deal with the battery cover. It was handy that there is a Victory dealership just across the street from the LAST dealership I went to to try and get them to honor the warranty.

My ordeal also prompted me to cancel the extended warranty I bought when I purchased the bike. I didn't see any reason in extending a warranty that isn't worth the paper it's written on. Got the warranty refund, and used it for Christmas shopping.

Check on ebay, a lot of people get the chrome battery and oil tank covers. Then they sell the stock cover on ebay. I think I paid around $25 for the battery cover and oil tank cover I bought on ebay. Of course I have NO need for the oil tank cover, but usually you'll find them for sale as a pair.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Jumpxtremist
Intermediate

Great advice. No victory dealer around here but a friend of mine has one. Guess I'll check out his. I really do like the new Indian though and from what I here It will be made here in the good ole U.S. of A.

Have worked with Roush in the past and know they too make an excellent product. Would not want one with an S&S kit engine though.

Thanks again, Jumpman

Old 05-13-2007, 05:59 PM
titus3:5
Tourer

This was good information, but one thing that caught my attention was from "sportypig" they mentioned they cancelled the extended warranty. I fell victim and was caught up in a fast talking dealer, or should I say stealer when we bought my 06 last year How do you go about cancelling your extended wareranty and getting a refund.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I rode out to DC today to Washington HD and what happens right when I get there? I hit a pothole right down the street from the dealer and it bottoms out the shocks. I continue down the road and pull into the dealer and a lady pulls in behind me and tells me a piece of my bike fell off. I look down the street and there is my battery cover. Luckily I got it before anyone ran it over but it has some pretty deep scratches in it. []
I asked the dealer if that was a warranty issue and he said it was if my bike was still under the 2 year warranty and it wasn't. I told him whenI bought the bike from someone else they had purchased the extended warranty but he said the extended warranty wouldn't cover it. So I'm stuck with a scratched up shitty looking battery cover. BeforeI left, I zip tied the cover through the holes already there where the plastic crappy clips go and then around the frame and it seems secure for now. Pisses me off. [:@]
If anyone hasn't zip tied their covers yet you better get on it and dont think it wont happen to you. That's what I thought and look what happened.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Here you go... replacement cover on e-Bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...27802214QQrdZ1

Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jumpxtremist

In looking over the cover again I realized that the scuffs / scratches are to deep to rub out. Contacted HD 3 times this morning - put me on hold then hung up on me all three times.

Contacted all of the dealers in my area to see if they will honor the warrantee so far they all say its not covered because its a paint issue. I informed them that it not a paint issue but a design flaw. No good.

Wife wants her own bike when she retires in a few years. Planed on giving her the 1200C and ordering a Heritage Softail. Just took one out for a demo as a matter of fact but there's no way in hell I would buy another Harley now.

Am now looking forward to the reintroduction of the Indian Chief with the Roush Power Plus 100 or perhaps The Honda 1800 V twin cruiser since Honda is now the only motorcycle actually made in America with 100% domestic content.

Tired of being nickle and dimed[:@]Damn shame over something as stupid as a battery cover but if Harley is willing to give me grief over this what would they do over something serious. Not willing to find out. Hate to say it but this was my first and last Harley Davidson. I judge a company by how well it supports its products.

Jumpman
if you don't like the fit & finish on your Sporty, you won't like the Honda. Cheap jumps out all over them babies.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

i drilled a 1/8th inch hole at the bottom and zip tied so that if it comes off, it will not blow away. ugly piece of crap but it functions.

Quick Reply: Battery Cover