Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone out there own a Victory???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:34 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone out there own a Victory???

I went online and looked at the new Victorys and I sure liked the look. Now dont start sending hate mail I just said they look good and was wondering if any of you have or had one?????

Old 09-24-2005, 02:47 PM
schultz
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone out there own a Victory???

So what your saying is your gonna sell the Sportster or trade it in on one?[sm=itsok.gif]

Old 09-24-2005, 02:57 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually looked at the Victory bikes this past summer before I bought my Sportster. I liked the way they looked also but there was something about the Harleys that I liked better. Perhaps it's the more classic look that Harleys have. I think the Victory bikes are well made but I believe Harley's are made better. I like the Victory engines and trannies but since the company has only been owned by Polaris for 7 yrs, I didnt know how well they would hold up over the long haul. Polaris has had their share of reliability problems, espcially in the watercraft dept. (I own Sea Doo's) The Victory is also probably the best bang for the buck as far as bikes are concerned, but there is something a bit cartoonish about them that I do not like. I think they are a bit over done in my own opinion. For the record, the Victory dealer wanted to sell me a $16,000 Vegas for $12,000. That was a killer deal but I still sided with Harley because of reputation. Hopefully I made the right choice. So far, so good. Check the Victories out for yourself, I bet you will like them.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 AM
bairdc3
Stage I

I was looking at the kingpin before I bought my Sportster. Cost of the bike and the fact that the sportster got over 50MPG and the Kingpin under 40MPG. That 10 -15 mpg difference and the legend of HD I decided to go with the real deal.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered a Vegas before I bought the fatboy back in '03. I'm actually kind of a fan. I hope they really make it, if not for anything, to keep H-D on their toes. They're coming out with new models it appears on a yearly basis, based on the vegas platform. The new Jackpot is pretty rockin' as is the Hammer. I think all except maybe the classic tourbike and the 8-ball come with the 100" 6speed engine. I'll definitely be test riding them when it's time for a new scoot.

What other company on that scale other than a custom shop like Big Dog or Yaffe or Bourget or someone can sell you 100" with a 6-speed and a 250 rear tire on a stock bike? And then let's offer it for less than $20k. That's pretty darn competitive.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree that Victory bikes are competitive, however, I also believe that even though they offer advanced engines, somewhere along the lines thta have to be cutting corners. If they aren't, Im not sure how they are doing it. I was getting some service done on my Ford today and while I was waiting, I walked over the Victory dealer across the street. I looked them over pretty good and I still feel that their workmanship isnt as good as Harley's. Many Harley owner's complain about fit and finish but I think Harley's appear to have better finishing touches. I also still believe Harley's are screwed together better. Just my opinion and that is one of the reasons why I chose a Harley over a Victory. Someone must feel the way I do since this particular dealer still had brand new 2004 models sitting on his show room floor. I can't even find a 2005 at my Harley dealer anymore. Just some food for thought. Ride safe!

Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

I agree that Victory bikes are competitive, however, I also believe that even though they offer advanced engines, somewhere along the lines thta have to be cutting corners. If they aren't, Im not sure how they are doing it. I was getting some service done on my Ford today and while I was waiting, I walked over the Victory dealer across the street. I looked them over pretty good and I still feel that their workmanship isnt as good as Harley's. Many Harley owner's complain about fit and finish but I think Harley's appear to have better finishing touches. I also still believe Harley's are screwed together better. Just my opinion and that is one of the reasons why I chose a Harley over a Victory. Someone must feel the way I do since this particular dealer still had brand new 2004 models sitting on his show room floor. I can't even find a 2005 at my Harley dealer anymore. Just some food for thought. Ride safe!
You make an excellent point.. There's a perception that I also share that makes me wonder how these bikes are going to hold up down the road with some big mileage. Their riders are kind of like Mac users verses PC users.. Very avid and loyal about their product. I also agree though that H-D has their formula pretty much set as far as the finish of the bike. There are some things like cast handlebar risers etc, that bring the price down competitively. I'm very unimpressed with their hand switches, especially the turn signal switch. The Vic's are very odd to classify.. Very custom looking and a completely new styling.. but not like the "classic" American cruiser.. They're more "Japanese", in a sense. I think the customers they attract are a bit different than the typical Harley owner.

What is it about the "workmanship" that concerns you specifically?

I can say when I rode the 03 vegas, it felt like it had a lot of "flex" in the suspension and frame even.. Maybe it was just me, but it was just "loose" compared to the 04 fatboy I ended up buying. It also drags pegs pretty easy.. but I'm reading that they've improved on that.

I think Victory is getting it's recipe down but I do think they are very very very new at the game with motorcycles. They are however a far cry from their earlier v92 bikes. Those things were archaic clunkers with a transmission that was a box of rocks, compared to their current offerings. Much much improved.

We shall see. I'll say someone has GOT to be competitive with H-D in the American-made market. If not Indian, then Victory is pretty much it, until you get into the custom shops, and talk about potential mechanical and electrical problems.. whew.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Babs,

From what I can see on the workmanship, I was totally unimpressed with the hand controls as you suggested. The chrome swith covers were very poorly finished and designed. I'd take the nice finished, well designed black covers that Harley offers standard any day over the tarnished chrome covers Victory gives. I was also unimpressed with the quality if the handle bars and risers. Something just did not seem right to me about them. Also, if you look closely at the fins, I believe they are a little thinner and of cheaper quality than what HD offers on their bikes. I also feel the same way about Honda's. To me, the Vic was more comparable to a Honda than a Harley. The other thing I noticed on the Victory bikes that I have seen was slopped welding on the frames. Again, it might be my opinion but I believe Harleys frames are much neater. Also, the quality if the turn signals on the Victory were horrible. I did not like the rubber looking mounts that they came with. Harleys chrome bullet turn signals are much nicer. Also, the exhausts again looked like that of a metric bike. To me, they were very un-Americanish if that makes sense. When I think of an American bike, obviously HD comes to mind but Victory's pipes look like they were pulled right off of a Honda VTX. Also, if you checked out the Hammer, it was a cross between a sport bike and a cruiser. I do not personally care for that style. It seems to me that Victory is either trying something very different, or they are not sure what they want to be yet in the word of motorcyles. Don't get me wrong, they are nice bikes and they have a nice powerplant and tranny. There is just something about them that would make me uncomfortable with owning one. When I purchased my HD, I went shopping with a very open mind. Only on a friend's advice, a woman I might add did I check out the Harleys. I really didnt want to spend $20k for a bike and when I found the XL1200C, I fell in love with it. It fit me like a glove, rode smooth, was fast, looked awsome and best of all, it was a Harley. Honestly, I had a deal worked out on a Vegas for $13k, I believe out the door. I went home and thought about it and decided to wait until I could find a black XL1200c. As much as I love the pictures of the Victory bikes, I am so glad I waited for my Harley. I love this bike!

PS: The whole HOG comraderie is pretty nice too. It's going to take Victory many years before they can rival the HOG's :-)

RIDE ON!!! RIDE SAFE!!!!

Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah, heck, let's face it - it ain't a Harley!

When they came out with the Datsun 240Z everyone compared it to the E-Type Jaguar and raved about the reliability of the Z over the E-Type. Not that the 240Z wasn't a nice sports car, but which would you rather have?

A Harley is a Harley, is a Harley, is a Harley, is a Harley, is a Harley... and until they really screw up the basics, I'll take it!

Thumper26

Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Great write up WarriorHD,

Looking back at when I checked out the Vegas.. I totally agree on all counts. I think Vic is much closer than it was with their original cruiser with improvements all around but it is that last 10% in the workmanship that makes a better bike or a bike that is as good.

The hand controls were probably the deciding factor for me on it also.. How about that single left thumb switch for the turn signals? That was a deal breaker for me.. poooooor design. I kept leaving the signal on or hitting the stupid horn by accident.

If they were to fix that terrible turn signal design, and clean up the frame welds (which I think I also noticed), and possibly give the option for upgraded turn signals, then they'd be closer. I remember noticing those metric looking el cheapo signals and the sales guy said most of his customers pull them for some aftermarket replacement anyway (which I'ave also seen on vic's). Maybe they expect some customization in the handlebars, risers and signals? Who knows, but yes they're cheap.

It's like the profile is great and the engine and tranny are NOW great, but the rest of the fine details.. In finishing the bike, still need work. I'll bet a lot has to do with sourcing or making the parts inhouse. But the welding, I say they have complete control over. Those ATV hand controls have got to GO though.

Thumper, you also have a point.. A hog is a hog is a hog. It's like buying a Seiko watch that kinda sorta looks like a Rolex.. Ya know, I know what I'm looking at when I look down and get the time off of my Yachtmaster [sm=bling.gif]. Call me pretentious, but when you've got the genuine article.. You know it's not a copy wannabe. Good for Vic for being somewhat original though. They are unique looking.

Great discussion guys. Maybe Vic will read it someday and take it for feedback back to the Engineers and Marketing folks.

Quick Reply: Anyone out there own a Victory???