Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Sportster 1200 Low for First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

If post #8, cvaria, posted what can happen to beginners. While those incidents are possible they are relatively immaterial IMO. Both riders got up and, with help, rode away. The results of an incident/accident of some sort can be, and usually are, much worse. Your first bike may be the gateway to a lifetime of motorcycle riding. But over the last 47 years I have seen many new riders, but most of them didn't last long.

Their first experiences had a large impact on that. And choice of first motorcycle can have a huge impact on first experiences.

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-08-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
If post #8, cvaria, posted what can happen to beginners. While those incidents are possible they are relatively immaterial IMO. Both riders got up and, with help, rode away. The results of an incident/accident of some sort can be, and usually are, much worse. Your first bike may be the gateway to a lifetime of motorcycle riding. But over the last 47 years I have seen many new riders, but most of them didn't last long.

Their first experiences had a large impact on that. And choice of first motorcycle can have a huge impact on first experiences.

Not about the riders, its about the bikes. Damaged from drops. Drop a crappy bike, no big deal.

Training wheels. To each his own.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
Not about the riders, its about the bikes. Damaged from drops. Drop a crappy bike, no big deal.

Training wheels. To each his own.
I guess you and I have different priorities then. A damaged bike, whether crappy, or new and expensive, is not nearly as life altering as the physical damage that can more easily occur to a rider that chooses a first motorcycle that is more then they can handle.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

and now from the positive side. Not every new rider drops their bike. I just started riding last year and had no problem with my 1200. I am a small guy and never felt that the bike was to big for me. 9000km later and no problems.
Yes, I did drop my bike once but it was because of a boner move on my part not because I couldn't handle the bike and that was at the end of the season and 8000km. Just be smart and cautious about it and you will be fine. I am definitely in the "buy the bike you want" camp.

This video was the very first time I ever road my bike after only riding the little 125cc in my riding course. You will see that I never dropped the bike.

Enjoy the new bike and ride safe.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:14 AM
cvaria
Supporter

I guess you and I have different priorities then. A damaged bike, whether crappy, or new and expensive, is not nearly as life altering as the physical damage that can more easily occur to a rider that chooses a first motorcycle that is more then they can handle.
That true as well. Im not going to post thise kinds of vids though, people get upset... even though we all risk it every time we saddle up.

IMO, as wonky as it is, it'd be better to get training wheels and then move up after building skill. I still remember hearing a sales person in a dealership tell a 120 woman to just buy a dyna if she liked it as a first bike. I wanted to say something, but figured self preservation had to kick in for the woman at somepoint. What kinda person does that just to get a sale? That a wife, daughter, sister, or mother... it aint right to gas people up.

Maybe test ride a few bikes after a MSF course. A super glide 88" or 96" woud probably be a better bike fo large OP to aim for as a second bike after getting out of the bum stage. Might even cost less than the Low he's considering.

Last edited by cvaria; 12-09-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:25 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sid1200
and now from the positive side. Not every new rider drops their bike. I just started riding last year and had no problem with my 1200. I am a small guy and never felt that the bike was to big for me. 9000km later and no problems.
Yes, I did drop my bike once but it was because of a boner move on my part not because I couldn't handle the bike and that was at the end of the season and 8000km. Just be smart and cautious about it and you will be fine. I am definitely in the "buy the bike you want" camp.

Enjoy the new bike and ride safe.
Congratulations. But I wonder how any new riders have different experiences and are not able to share their story? Because they were scared silly,discovered riding wasn't for them, and they aren't here? Or how many that made a 'mistake' while learning had a far more serious result that some scratched paint or a broken lever?

From my personal experience/observation 'dropping the bike' is an almost insignificant result of a 'mistake'. There is no shame from learning to swim before diving into the deep end of the pool.

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations. But I wonder how any new riders have different experiences and are not able to share their story? Because they were scared silly,discovered riding wasn't for them, and they aren't here? Or how many that made a 'mistake' while learning had a far more serious result that some scratched paint or a broken lever?

From my personal experience/observation 'dropping the bike' is an almost insignificant result of a 'mistake'. There is no shame from learning to swim before diving into the deep end of the pool.

Maybe I am missing the point, all I am saying is that I don't think the 1200 is to much bike for the OP. I get that he may not like riding and may make a mistake learning to ride but he can make the same mistake on 450 Honda that he could make on the 1200.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
EXNAUTI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with rjg883c.
It's about being able to handle the bike in emergency situations without it getting away from you.
It's also totally about the rider themselves. Cautious rider vs yahoo rider!
Most anybody can ride most any bike, but can they handle it?
Certainly should be no prob with the Sportster if they can take the time to safely learn how it handles.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Sid1200
Maybe I am missing the point, all I am saying is that I don't think the 1200 is to much bike for the OP. I get that he may not like riding and may make a mistake learning to ride but he can make the same mistake on 450 Honda that he could make on the 1200.

yes and no. there's a huge weight difference between a 350lb shadow and a 500+lb xl. i started to drop my shadow 500 and lifted it back up with zero effort... the sportster started going down and all i could do was help slow the fall.

i still remember moving from my shadow to my xl, and now to my dyna. the difference was drastic. i also remember the jerk sales dude that told me to buy a bike that i couldn't even balance.. "you'll grow into it" TF? walked right outta there. (Pete's cycle- Baltimore, MD)

at 6'2", OP should be able to throw the 1200 around like a rag doll. but he said this is his first bike (read: no skills), 50 y/o (read: slower reaction time).

puttering around on some embarrassing bike is nothing to be ashamed of. some people get on bikes and just go; others don't, they get on and disaster follows.

training wheels for a few months with an MSF course... OP will be golden; however, OP may go buy the 1200 low and never have a single issue. nobody knows

Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw training wheels. Get it & be happy. Your not to big for that bike. Just take it at your pace & be safe. I rode around my neighborhood a few days then ventured to less populated roads. Then when I was comfortable took it the traffic. You know when your ready & when your not. Like everyone else can tell you, WATCH OUT FOR OTHER IDIOTS! That's your biggest threat.

Quick Reply: 2009 Sportster 1200 Low for First Bike