Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Harley Stage 1 air cleaner need a fuel management tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the Harley Stage 1 air cleaner need a fuel management tuner?

I just got a used 2013 Sportster 72.

The guy I bought it off of was an older guy that bought it a few months ago and then just bought a bigger Dyna off his next door neighbor.

It has Vance & Hines short shots and a fully exposed air filter. The air filter is listed on the Harley Davidson website as "State 1 Filter."

The guy I bought it off of didn't really know anything about it. He didn't know what a fuel management system was or that it was even an upgraded intake.

As far as I can tell there is no fuel management tuner added to the bike.

Would the Harley Dealership have put a new program on the ECM when the original owner got the State 1 Filter? If so, would the replacement program just be for big air with stock pipes? Or can the dealership set it up for stage 1 air and aftermarket pipes.

The bike is powerful. The pipes are short, but currently have double upgraded baffles (quiet baffle plus added inserts on top of that probably from smart partz), so they are actual pretty quite. I may take the inserts out and make it a little louder.

My other bike is a V Star 650, which has dual carbs. So haven't worked with an EFI yet.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Justin Lynn
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best thing to do would be to take it to the Harley dealer and ask them to verify for you that the tune is setup for upgraded intake and pipes. They told me that the bike wouldn't run right if I did those two things without having the computer flashed. I would hope they would be nice enough to check that for you for free, but be prepared to pay if the ecm hasn't already been updated.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike runs fine w/o any change to the ecu with a screaming eagle intake & new slip ons. Yes you can tweak some more power out of it with a flash, but it will run fine & not grenade on you as is.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Harley may have downloaded their stage 1 program. Most HD service advisers don't know their head from their ***. If they can pull the info up by your VIN, then you are doing good(without charging.)

Old 12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

it wouldn't hurt to add a tune if it doesn't already have one,. not 100% required. the dealer can check your mapping for you and maybe revive you of a 1/2 hour of shop fees. might be worth it for peace of mind.

if you can swing it, get a tuner. i fought it for a long time, i finally bit the bullet and got a power vision and now swear by it.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Kyle Rogers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on my track record I'd probably be better off putting that shop fee towards a tuner. With my other bike I was constantly tinkering with stuff. I tried multiple different intakes, re-jetted the carbs a bunch of time.

I don't know if I want to spring for power vision. Maybe after I sell my first bike, which I plan to wait till the end of winter so I can get more.

Originally Posted by cvaria
it wouldn't hurt to add a tune if it doesn't already have one,. not 100% required. the dealer can check your mapping for you and maybe revive you of a 1/2 hour of shop fees. might be worth it for peace of mind.

if you can swing it, get a tuner. i fought it for a long time, i finally bit the bullet and got a power vision and now swear by it.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kyle Rogers
Based on my track record I'd probably be better off putting that shop fee towards a tuner. With my other bike I was constantly tinkering with stuff. I tried multiple different intakes, re-jetted the carbs a bunch of time.

I don't know if I want to spring for power vision. Maybe after I sell my first bike, which I plan to wait till the end of winter so I can get more.
Fuel Moto makes a very nice Micro EFI tuner for $199 plus free basic shipping for Military/Vets/LE/FD. Holds three selectable maps, and unlimited support. Great reputation and only about a 2 beer install time.
****...just clicked on their link....NOW $179 ...hell of a deal.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-19...efi-tuner.html

Old 12-06-2015, 09:52 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Fuel Moto makes a very nice Micro EFI tuner for $199 plus free basic shipping for Military/Vets/LE/FD. Holds three selectable maps, and unlimited support. Great reputation and only about a 2 beer install time.
****...just clicked on their link....NOW $179 ...hell of a deal.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-19...efi-tuner.html

power-vision-for-the-sportster:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html

power-vision-for-the-dyna:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-appeared.html

Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
Power Vision is a great product. $449(+330 for the auto tune pro) verses $179.
I'll stick to the $179 and save the $600 for my big bike, guns, or cars.

2013 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER 1200 SEVENTY-TWO XL 1200V
Change Vehicle
Your Options
Color: Black
Discounted Accessory: $330 - Add Auto Tune Pro AT-110
Change Vehicle Options
Product Information
Was: $970.90
Price: $ 779.00
Item #: PV-1B_AT-110
Quantity:

Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2 beer install time....I drinkem quick...so must be easy. :P

Quick Reply: Does the Harley Stage 1 air cleaner need a fuel management tuner?