Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 AM
wllfthn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Iron 883

Hello all. New to the forums as well as the motorcycle world. I picked up my Iron earlier this year, June I think. I bought it having never ridden a bike before and it was only a couple days before I was totally hooked. I bought it from the dealer as it stands today. Haven't made any changes (other than removing a sissy bar and inverting the mirrors.) I love it for sure but over this winter I plan to start converting this thing into the bike I really want.

I bought this bike with the intentions of turning it into a cafe racer. That's still my plan but once I began my research, I discovered that it's a much bigger job than I had anticipated. I'll happily be the first to admit than I'm a total novice when it comes to wrenching. I don't know much about working on bikes but I know my way around tools and a garage and I'm confident I can learn.

Now, enter you guys. I've used forums for years as a way to get insight and opinions on lots of things (guitars, guns, tools, etc) and I love having this amount of knowledge in my corner.

I have a few parts that I'm planning on buying to get my project started and wanted you guys to take a look and let me know if you think everything will work out okay.

The first is a speedo & indication light relocation kit from DKCustoms.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Spor...-SPT-SPILR.htm

The 2nd is this set of dimpled clip ons from RYCA.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/sportster...bzwaAitg8P8HAQ

Lastly, I was planning to get the coil & ignition relation with tank lift -- also from DK Customs.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/07-U...K-CK-RLC07.htm

SO -- My questions to you guys are:

--- Do you think all of these mods will work/look well together?
--- Are there any obvious oversights as far as how this will come together?
--- Are there additional parts/wiring I will need that I'm not realizing?
--- Do you have any recommendations about these parts or parts I should use instead of these?

As always, thanks much for any help!

Take care.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 AM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that clipons with a tank lift look kind of goofy. the tank sits so high and the bars sit so low. if you go with clipons skip the tank lift. if you split the covering on the stock wiring loom you can still tuck the wires to a good extent and the just do the coil and ignition relocate