Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult to install Hang grips??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How difficult to install Hang grips??

Upgrading the hand grips hasn't been anything I've really thought about. To me, they were just a VERY low priority on the list of upgrades. Unfortunately, it seems my stock handgrips are getting worn out!!! I'm sure the MoCo, would say this is a normal "wear & tear" issue that wouldn't be covered under warranty. So, I'm gonna need to get a new pair, before the throttle grip is worn through.

I don't want anything that has a lot of chrome, or metal, that will get blazing hot while sitting out in the sun.

Suggestions and help are appreciated!!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How difficult to install Hang grips??

piece of cake sporty.
I have pictures that will walk you through it. Email me and i will send them too you.
drcool70s@yahoo.com

Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

OK... I replaced the whole handle bar... went to a drag bar.
Here is what the deal is. (Anyone feel free to chime in if you think I am saying something wrong)
The Left grip was glued on. But I didnt care because i was going to toss the bars. If your not going to do that, I hear you can heat them up and slide them off, cut them off or whatever you need to do to get the grip on the clutch side off. The housing on that side comes off easy. Take your time and remove the screws.
Picture 1 (Filename Left Grip)
You will see the grip has grooves in it and you can see how it is made.
Picture 2 (Filename Left Grip 2)
The second picture shows where the grooves on the grip go in the housing. Notice the arrows. Those are the first two pics.
*** Find out if you getting slip on grips, then you dont have to glue the clutch side grip on, it simply fits where the arrows are, then the end of the grip compresses tight when you assemble the housing.

Picture 3 (Filename Right grip) This is the throttle grip. It should be a slide on. In this picture notice that the housing did not come all the way apart. At least for me it didnt. When you get it almost apart you will see these brass holders around the throttle cable ends. They are sitting in the groove of the throttle grip. There are two ways to approach removing the grip that I can think off. 1) loosen the riser and move the handle bars to the left until the grip sildes off. Cover your chrome with masking tape so you dont scratch the handle bars. Of the left side (clutch grip must be off the bar to do this, or your stretching some other cable. 2) Somehow get brass bushing out of the grip groove that is holding it. I did option 1, I moved the handle bars to the left and the grip slide off. THE ONLY PART OF THIS THAT IS A LITTLE TOUGH IS YOU NEED TO KEEP SOME TENSION ON THE CABLES SO THEY DONT SLIP OFF AROUND THE CARB. I did this and had to take off the air clean and attach the end that came off. This is where a buddy come in handy to help you. Picture 4 (Filename Right Grip 2) shows the grip off and shows what the cable ends look like.

Then you replace the throttle grip with the new one, attach the housing and move the bar to the right and center it up. Then you can slide on or glue on (depending what you bought) the left side or the clutch side grip and reassemble it.

Things to watch out for.
Take a towel and cover your tank and fender if your going to let anything hang.
Take your time and think it through.

Good Luck.
I have asked Old Fender Guy to review my post, to make sure that it is up to par.
Jimmy D

[IMG]local://upfiles/14736/59DFEAA6855E42F1A7BB774E7B75900B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14736/01002EB3DB6349E6B1DF6D6BDF542CBB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14736/0F1AA4D335824EA0998E60F573E34359.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14736/7EFC880502804462A6DD58124ADD0AD7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM
harleyj4585
Cruiser

dr. cool is right on the money follow his input. i personally cut off the old ones because i had no use for the rubber ones anyways. As far as the throttle(right) side goes...i would do exactly as he says as far as moving the bars. If you do not loosen and shift the bars the throttle cables are alittle harder to get off in my opinion.

My suggestion is when you do the throttle side, make sure you check everything out BEFORE you rip it apart otherwise the little brass parts may be a pain in the ace to get back in place.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 AM
denisl
Advanced

I just replaced my grips this weekend and took me an hour... If I had to do it again it would take me 1/2 that.. I loosened the throttle cables by releasing the tension from the cable adjusters. Worked fine.

Also, what hung me up was not remembering that the metal tube / cable adjusters swivel in the lower electronics pod.. I thought they were fixed and spent an hour trying to figure out what I broke. Turns out that's the way it was I just didn't remember!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM
brandy
Intermediate

Dr. Cool... Thanks for taking the time to post those instructions and pictures! [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 AM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Why does this look and sound very difficult???

[sm=bomb.gif][sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
texas tom
Tourer

One thing you may want to remember is to place a spacer in between the brake lever or you stand an excellent chance of breaking your front brake switch when you reassemble everything...the switch is $27 takes about an hour to replace(ask me how I know)...

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

A little "cheat" for doing the throttle side. Look where your adjusters are on the cables. Take a FINE point Sharpee maker. Draw a line across the adjuster, nut, and jam nut. Then draw a second mark AROUND the bolt that is in the adjuster. This is where your reference point is. Now, all you have to do is loosen the jam nut, shorten the adjuster (gives you slack), install the grips. When you get the grips installed and the switch housing back together, just start turning the adjuster back out until the reference marks line back up. It sounds much harder than it really is. Probably 30 mins total time. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Guys!!

Now, any suggestions on grips? I don't want anything really fancy, just some good grips, maybe a bit larger around than the stock.

Quick Reply: How difficult to install Hang grips??