Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil/ignition relocation & tank lift.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Have you (or anyone) heard of these guys? I just found them tonight while researching.

http://www.kineticmotorcycles.com/ac...relocatoin-kit

They're actually about 30 miles from me coincidentally and offer the full shoot n' match kit; coil, key, tank lift, and wires for $99. I might call them tomorrow and see what the deal is. It'll be a lot cheaper than the DK kits if they're legit. I would just order the horn relocate from DK.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210
Hey...

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on some of the concerns I have before placing an order.

The bike is a 2002 Sportster 1200 Custom.

The coil is pretty straight forward, I'm not sweating that. The key is also not a big deal. All of that I get.

What I'm a little worried about is the tank lift. I'm concerned about clearance. I have the speedometer in the factory location, see pic below which will not allow the tank to go much higher. Not really a problem because a pair of spacers and two longer bolts will give me the clearance I need.

What I'm worried about is the clearance on the bars.

I know DK Customs talks about their Deluxe Tank kit which should help with the pre '04 models having clearance issues but I'm not really understanding how or what it's supposed to do.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'd like to order everything at once.

It is unlikely you can do a tank lift without relocating your speedo, or raising your bars. The best way to know for sure is to check for clearance-

It is easy to check for clearance:

1. With bike on kickstand, take the bolt out of the front of your tank.

2. Loosen (do not remove) the bolt at the rear of your tank.

3. Turn your handlebars all the way to the left and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.

4. Turn your handlebars all the way to the right and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.

If you use the deluxe option, it will let you move the tank back about 3/16", so you can pull the rear bolts and do that to see if it will clear. Some Customs do, some don't. Harley had quite a bit of latitude in their welding back then.

ALWAYS feel free to call or email us. We don't always see posts on the forum, but we always answer emails and the phone/return voicemails left.

Thanks for that...

I like the look up front but I don't want to change bars...at least not yet. Damn, really not sure which way to go now. I guess I can always do the coil now and whatever else later as I decide to change looks.

Quick question on the key relocate;

Can I use the smaller bracket they give you but keep the key in the factory spot using the bracket?

I ask because I actually prefer the location of it to the usual relocation down by the battery. I also don't want my keys banging against the case. I commute on the thing so I have more than one key on my ring. I'd like to keep the ignition in the same location but without using the stock bracket which will be empty not after moving the coil. I basically don't want it hanging down cluttering up the space. I hope that makes sense.
You can leave the key in the stock position, using the stock bracket. Just cut the part of the bracket off that holds the coil. We have more than a few Customers that do that.

Have you (or anyone) heard of these guys? I just found them tonight while researching.

http://www.kineticmotorcycles.com/ac...relocatoin-kit

They're actually about 30 miles from me coincidentally and offer the full shoot n' match kit; coil, key, tank lift, and wires for $99. I might call them tomorrow and see what the deal is. It'll be a lot cheaper than the DK kits if they're legit. I would just order the horn relocate from DK.

Yes, we've heard of them. They tried copying our product/design, but have not done such a great job. (there's a reason it's cheaper) We get people every week that have purchased coil relo's from them that end up breaking, then they end up getting one from us that won't break. Not saying that everyone they make breaks, but why take a chance on an inferior copy-cat product.

There are several threads on the forum about their parts breaking, here is one at the following link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-relocate.html

Here is another one-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ny-before.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
It is unlikely you can do a tank lift without relocating your speedo, or raising your bars. The best way to know for sure is to check for clearance-

It is easy to check for clearance:

1. With bike on kickstand, take the bolt out of the front of your tank.

2. Loosen (do not remove) the bolt at the rear of your tank.

3. Turn your handlebars all the way to the left and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.

4. Turn your handlebars all the way to the right and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.

If you use the deluxe option, it will let you move the tank back about 3/16", so you can pull the rear bolts and do that to see if it will clear. Some Customs do, some don't. Harley had quite a bit of latitude in their welding back then.

ALWAYS feel free to call or email us. We don't always see posts on the forum, but we always answer emails and the phone/return voicemails left.

You can leave the key in the stock position, using the stock bracket. Just cut the part of the bracket off that holds the coil. We have more than a few Customers that do that.

Yes, we've heard of them. They tried copying our product/design, but have not done such a great job. (there's a reason it's cheaper) We get people every week that have purchased coil relo's from them that end up breaking, then they end up getting one from us that won't break. Not saying that everyone they make breaks, but why take a chance on an inferior copy-cat product.

There are several threads on the forum about their parts breaking, here is one at the following link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-relocate.html

Here is another one-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ny-before.html
Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to bang that out.

I sincerely appreciate you reaching out and giving me the extra info I needed. I will be placing an order today.

I'll skip the key relocation kit and just cut that part of the bracket as you suggested.

I should be able to fiddle with the bars enough and use some spacers on the speedo to get it to clear the smaller 1.5" lift.

Since I've got you though, how do you guys ship? USPS? I ask because I'd like to get it by the weekend. Not the end of the world if I don't but you know how it is...

Again, much appreciated.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's vendors on eBay selling the DK Customs kit for $99 also. It's the lift, coil & key relocate & plug wires for $99 shipped.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
There's vendors on eBay selling the DK Customs kit for $99 also. It's the lift, coil & key relocate & plug wires for $99 shipped.
Any chance of a link?

Can't seem to find it.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to bang that out.

I sincerely appreciate you reaching out and giving me the extra info I needed. I will be placing an order today.

I'll skip the key relocation kit and just cut that part of the bracket as you suggested.

I should be able to fiddle with the bars enough and use some spacers on the speedo to get it to clear the smaller 1.5" lift.

Since I've got you though, how do you guys ship? USPS? I ask because I'd like to get it by the weekend. Not the end of the world if I don't but you know how it is...

Again, much appreciated.

Not sure if you emailed or called and already got an answer (that is always the fastest way, since we don't always see posts on the forums), but if not...

When you are in checkout you will have a choice of USPS Priority, USPS Express or UPS Ground.

Depending on where you are, priority might get it to you by Saturday, Express would for sure get it there Friday, or Saturday at the latest.

If you call or write Dawn or Kelsey at the # or email below, they will help you get it as quickly as possible.

We have 2 authorized sellers on ebay, and I don't think either of them are selling for any less that we do on our website. Below is a link to one of them, showing all the parts they have-

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hanashop/m.h...p2047675.l2562

Here's a link to the other one. I did not see any coil/key/tank/wires for 99.95

http://www.ebay.com/sch/superbuyshop...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-18-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is hanashop the vendor I refer to. But it was a mistake on my part. I thought it showed tank lift but it was just a relocate & wires. It was a different vendor/maker that included the tank lift. My bad.