Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a quick favor to a question about my rear brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I prefer my Lyndall Z+ over the OEM. The OEM pads are far too messy and didn't last nearly as long. I didn't notice any difference in stopping power, as they felt equivalent to the OEM, but the reduction of brake dust and longer life make it a win. The Lyndall's have a better initial feel in the rain/wet.

Do Sportsters use Brembo calipers like the touring bikes? What I'm saying those pads may be an improvement over the non-Brembo set ups but they sure aren't an improvement from stock for me. I have over 50K on my rotors and have up to this point only used OEM pads that I get 20-25K miles out of. If you ever saw one of my bikes you'd know why I say the dust thing doesn't mean anything to me

As far as brakes go I'm kinda a snob. The Brembo set up on the modern touring models are good for a Harley but not the best by any stretch. With the Lyndall pads the bite is weaker than OEM and requires more force. I intend to ride them in the rain tomorrow. If they don't perform well I'm going to remove them.

I would say this: If you have Harley ABS and don't like it because it engages too often on bumps; get yourself some of these pads. You won't have any trouble with it anymore

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-17-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Is the only difference between OEM and Lyndall no dust and longer life with Lyndall? Performance appears comparable. I am looking to replace my pads. I use Hawk organic pads and they perform well when dry, but when wet they squeal loud with significant reduction in stopping power.....not sure if this is temporary since the pads are still fairly new. I would not recommend the Hawk organic unless this is normal when breaking in the pads.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I have the EBC pads up front. I ordered the Lyndall's for the rears. Thanks guys!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I prefer my Lyndall Z+ over the OEM. The OEM pads are far too messy and didn't last nearly as long. I didn't notice any difference in stopping power, as they felt equivalent to the OEM, but the reduction of brake dust and longer life make it a win. The Lyndall's have a better initial feel in the rain/wet.
this! just did these on my dyna

Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Do Sportsters use Brembo calipers like the touring bikes? What I'm saying those pads may be an improvement over the non-Brembo set ups but they sure aren't an improvement from stock for me. I have over 50K on my rotors and have up to this point only used OEM pads that I get 20-25K miles out of. If you ever saw one of my bikes you'd know why I say the dust thing doesn't mean anything to me

As far as brakes go I'm kinda a snob. The Brembo set up on the modern touring models are good for a Harley but not the best by any stretch. With the Lyndall pads the bite is weaker than OEM and requires more force. I intend to ride them in the rain tomorrow. If they don't perform well I'm going to remove them.

I would say this: If you have Harley ABS and don't like it because it engages too often on bumps; get yourself some of these pads. You won't have any trouble with it anymore
As far as I know, the Sportsters do not have the Brembo setup like the touring bikes. My knowledge starts with 2002 and extends backwards for Sporties.

As far as performance, I have the 4 pot fixed calipers that were on a lot of the 99-06 softails and 2000-2003 Sportsters (and I'm not sure what else). Arguably it is one of the better brake setups for Sportsters that has come out. I've run OEM pads, and honestly wouldn't mind it again. In my opinion the only benefit of the Z+ was less brake dust and longer life. I couldn't tell you if there was a stopping power difference.

Whatever you do, stay away from no-name pads. I had a set I got free from a buddy who runs an auto shop and had no need for them (not sure how he aquired them). Back in my poor days, I was like "Awesome!" Well, one ride home in a midwest downpour I went to hit the brakes and it was not what I expected.... My drum brakes on my '72 felt desirable in comparison to what I experienced. Turns out they were cheap and held the water, rendering them useless.