Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls w/ Shorter Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:23 PM
arod6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Controls w/ Shorter Pedals

I have a 2006 XLC w/ forward controls... Loved them. Well, after 8 years of ownership I find myself wanting my legs a bit closer (back issues); but don't like how close the Mid controls are. So decided on some mini floorboards from Kuryakyn Wow! It feels amazing. Now, I wish the shifter and brake pedals were about 1.5" - 2" shorter or closer to me.

So in other words, would like to keep the stock forward controls, but just have both pedals about 1.5" - 2" closer. Any thoughts, ideas, or Part #'s?

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

It doesn't answer your question, but we (Mrs B and I both ride our Sporty) have mids with highway pegs, which gives a good compromise. To bring your forwards back a little may require some custom-made hardware.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:41 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

New seat? Something that sits you closer to the controls (if you can't raise the bridge, lower the truck). Maybe, a rider's backrest would take some pressure off your back.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
arod6
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
It doesn't answer your question, but we (Mrs B and I both ride our Sporty) have mids with highway pegs, which gives a good compromise. To bring your forwards back a little may require some custom-made hardware.
I think you're right. I was thinking last night that I could probably custom rig something to get the brake pedal a bit closer. Like drill a hole on the existing brake pedal and attach a metal plate. Don't know about the shifter though.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

why don't you try something like this from harley: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...conversion-kit

I put these reduced reach forward controls on my bike because i'm so shortlegged. It moves the forward controls back a bit. The only thing i don't like is the brake pedal is a bit higher than i would like, but i'm used to it now.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:55 PM
arod6
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frannieannie
why don't you try something like this from harley: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...conversion-kit

I put these reduced reach forward controls on my bike because i'm so shortlegged. It moves the forward controls back a bit. The only thing i don't like is the brake pedal is a bit higher than i would like, but i'm used to it now.
Wow.. Those could work. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 PM
arod6
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frannieannie

How much higher would you say the brake pedal got? Also, does it mean that the shifter only moved back 2" and not any higher?

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

That link to a reduced-reach conversion kit is for a Dyna, not a Sportster. The same type of idea may work on a Sportster, if you're able to fabricate the brackets and shorter brake/shift linkages. In order to bring the shift side back, it would need to go outboard, as well, to prevent interference with the primary cover.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,137 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by arod6
I think you're right. I was thinking last night that I could probably custom rig something to get the brake pedal a bit closer. Like drill a hole on the existing brake pedal and attach a metal plate. Don't know about the shifter though.
Here is the answer to getting the shifter closer on forwards-

Rock-It Shift Details and more pics are HERE

Bottom line is that there are 6 locations for the shift peg up front and 3 in back. Choose which is most comfortable for you.

On top of that is how much more comfortable and easy it is to shift. It is something that is difficult to describe. All I can say is that I did not think I would like it, but the improvement was amazing.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Here is the answer to getting the shifter closer on forwards-

Rock-It Shift Details and more pics are HERE

Bottom line is that there are 6 locations for the shift peg up front and 3 in back. Choose which is most comfortable for you.

On top of that is how much more comfortable and easy it is to shift. It is something that is difficult to describe. All I can say is that I did not think I would like it, but the improvement was amazing.

While the Rock-It- Shifter looks like a great product, I don't think it will work well with his mini floorboards. If the aft peg had a separate height adjustment it would be great.

Quick Reply: Forward Controls w/ Shorter Pedals