Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been Sitting Around

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Rv56
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been Sitting Around

Hi I recently obtained in 1994 sportster 883 hugger with 140 miles on it . It hasn't been started for about four years I'm going to buy new battery for it but can you give me advice on what else I should do to it before actually crank over the motor.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,775 Likes on 985 Posts

I'd change the oil & primary oil to start with. The carb might be varnish-like, or have dried/damaged rubber components. Considering its age and lack of miles, I'd just rebuild it.

Before riding it:
I'd change the brake fluid and make sure the master cylinders are in good order. The calipers should be checked to make sure they aren't binding. Check the date codes on the tires, if they are older than 5 years then dry rot is possible. Check all critical fasteners for proper torque before riding.

Those are the immediate things that I'd start with. I'd just make a project out of going over the entire bike from top to bottom. Sounds fun!

Any pics?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 PM
mid30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I'd change the oil & primary oil to start with. The carb might be varnish-like, or have dried/damaged rubber components. Considering its age and lack of miles, I'd just rebuild it.

Before riding it:
I'd change the brake fluid and make sure the master cylinders are in good order. The calipers should be checked to make sure they aren't binding. Check the date codes on the tires, if they are older than 5 years then dry rot is possible. Check all critical fasteners for proper torque before riding.

Those are the immediate things that I'd start with. I'd just make a project out of going over the entire bike from top to bottom. Sounds fun!

Any pics?
Yep 2nd all that. Defently do not try and start it till all the fluids and changed including the gas. Pull the plugs and Spray some oil in there and let it sit for 24 hours.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Hopefully the gas tank was kept full enough to keep it from rusting inside. Was the bike stored inside?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes spray some liquid wrench or wd40 in the cylinders & spin it over w/o plugs a few times to lube up the walls a bit.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

It's all been said. Change the fluids. I'd seafoam the tank and the carb. Squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes and let sit for a few hours. Or overnight before you start it.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
It's all been said. Change the fluids. I'd seafoam the tank and the carb. Squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes and let sit for a few hours. Or overnight before you start it.
Having left the oil for a while turn the engine over with the plugs out, to lubricate the cylinders. That will also provide a better seal when starting the engine once the plugs are back in. Once running treat it as if it is new and run it in. Take care to ensure that the brakes function properly before whizzing off down the road......

Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Rv56
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your reply's. The bike has been garaged the whole time. Been busy at work and waiting for the battery but will start working on it over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Another question what shop manuals does everyone recommend?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,775 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Rv56
Another question what shop manuals does everyone recommend?
The genuine Harley factory service manual, hands down. A little pricey, but worth every penny.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by guitarfish
The genuine Harley factory service manual, hands down. A little pricey, but worth every penny.
Yup! The other brands cover a wide range of years and models and not very well, so best avoided, unless you get one to compliment a factory one. You may get lucky and find a secondhand one in the HDF classifieds or Ebay, otherwise any dealer can supply, even if they don't have one in stock. You'll get your money back the first time you use it, so they are actually very cheap!!!!

Quick Reply: Been Sitting Around