Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good highlight housing and bulb or hid kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM
jj5685
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What is a good highlight housing and bulb or hid kit

I'm doing alot of night riding now to and from work and need a better headlight. My stock light sucked and now I'm running a dk custom light and their light extension brackets. It looks cool but even if i did get their upgraded bulb it still is going to fog up. Is there any light that will mount to the dk custom bracket that is super bright preferably with anything like kuryaken phase 7. I don't have my factory Harley seventy two light or bracket. And I want my light to stick out further than the factory light flush with the forks
Thanks

Old 11-14-2015, 11:01 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

I had DK Customs relocation kit and 4 7/8" bullet headlight but changed the H4 bulb to LED...IMHO it was bright enough for any kind of riding. I am now using a 7" headlight with bezel with the same LED and the larger surface/reflector makes a big difference.

Some people are totally against LEDs as they feel it blinds oncoming traffic so something to consider...I think it depends on what kind of commute you have i.e. riding with traffic (highway, freeway interstate, etc).

Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 PM
jj5685
Intermediate

I had decided to go back with a factory light to put them hid's in. I wouldn't mind my dk but it will still fog up with a new bulb

Old 11-15-2015, 12:22 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Why would DK's lamp fog up and a factory light with HIDs would not?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:39 AM
jj5685
Intermediate

My factory light never fogged up, it sealed up tight. The dk has a gap between the housing and cover where you can see a ring of light at night.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:08 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jj5685
My factory light never fogged up, it sealed up tight. The dk has a gap between the housing and cover where you can see a ring of light at night.
Interesting...never saw that. Did you ask Kevin? Perhaps you had a defective one as he normally has quality stuff. There was once my Outlaw air cleaner cover had fine scratches on the chrome and they changed it it out for a new one.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

A sealed beam style of LED or HID will not fog up, simply because they are a single sealed unit and there is nowhere for damp to get in. All the H4 style of reflectors I've ever bought come with a rubber boot that fits over the bulb fitting and, unless that is loose or missing, should also be damp proof. If your DK light is getting damp inside that suggests the same, something is missing or not fitted quite right?

As for aftermarket LED lights dazzling other traffic, that is a risk down to poor design of the light bulb which makes it unsuitable for the reflector it is in, or may be bad alignment of the light by the owner. As has been said before on these headlight discussions, there is no substitute for a dedicated LED or HID unit, instead of add-on bulbs.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Got my 03 XL1200S HID kit (hi/low) at DDM Tuning ( www.ddmtuning.com ). Haven't installed on the bike yet, but have their bulbs in my truck and they're very good quality, come with lifetime warranty and are hella bright.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Hid

I believe that the moving H-4 will not fit in your bucket because the bulb is too long. It hits the back. If you want the best lighting solution than change your bucket & lamp to one that you like. It may require you to bottom mount it. You can purchase a bulb cable extender where you can mount the ballast under the gas tank with a bracket you must fashion.

If you go to my site, I did a study with resulting pictures of a projection HID which is much the same light pattern as all of the others. I feel that a projector is not sufficient to put the light on the side of the bike like either a HID or OEM bulb can do. You need to see into the corner when turning that LED is starting to address but is not there just yet & a projector with Hi-Lo does not do a good job at. A projector is absolutely great when used as an auxiliary light (passing) as they have Hi-Lo capabilities. They are the best on a highway or on lo, great at flooding the area in front of your bike.

Installing HID's in a flood lamp (OEM passing lamps). A flood light is just that, it floods the area around the bike much like a short barreled shotgun does. This practice should not be done if around people sharing the road. You can purchase 4 1/2" headlights (lamps that fit into your bucket/OEM will not) with HID work very well indeed. I found that a 4 1/2" bucket & lamp do no have the room to installing a H-4 Hi-Lo moving bulb. The halogen hi bean combo type are great for using a modulator for daytime use! The halogen hi beam is useless for vision except for a marking light if required. I switch the halogen circuit on/off and the HID part separately with a total of 3 switched & relays, one each for a single HID & 1 for both halogen.

I personally have been using HID's since they first came out on my motorcycle. The key is to use a good quality lamp (reflector) and aim your headlight. They burn very bright, get no hotter than indecent bulbs, & when fully turned on, consume way less amperage than OEM. THe key is to start the bike than turn on each HID at a time until it fully becomes bright.

I have never been flashed by other oncoming drivers because my lights are aimed. I do not sell any lighting products any longer. This is just informational only what you can do for yourself. I can be of no more help other than this post I have done now.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Something is awry if the headlight is fogging up. I ride in all conditions and have never experienced that, whether with the stock bucket or our Visor buckets, regardless of the bulb.

I do a lot of night riding, in all kinds of weather, and like NC, we have very high humidity in MS.

Please contact us at the email or number below so we can help.

Pic of my personal Sporty that has the Visor bucket w/ Modular Relo Kit & the H4 LED drop-in bulb.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: What is a good highlight housing and bulb or hid kit