Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015 | 06:35 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by brimic
^Listen to this guy^

Buy a cheap bike, ride the sh*t out of it for a year or two, then decide what you really want in a bike.
Here's another thought- you are pretty likely to drop your bike early on- whether forgetting to put the kickstand down, or lowsiding on some gravel or taking a corner more aggressively than you have the skill for. For that matter, I don't see anything budgeted for gear- gloves helmet, jacket, boots, pants- figure $1000, minimum.

I can't fathom spending $10K+ on a sportster. You can buy barely ridden used sportsters for less than 1/2 that, hell you can buy some nice used dynas or softails for under $10K.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but I'm trying to save you from some heartache, or worse.
Been buying gear for a few months now, boots, gloves, helmet, and jacket are all folded up and waiting on my quilt trunk.

I really don't mean this to sound like an *******, but the whole point of this thread was to determine the pros and cons of buying a new bike vs an older low mileage one. So the idea you're proposing is the question already being asked.

As it stands I can get a very low mileage 2015 48 for $9000 or $9500, or a brand new 2016 for $13,047, now that's before negotiations. And the 2015 is a Harley transfer so I'll retain any warranties and add on's.

The thing is, Ive already bought an older bike that turned out to be a lemon, and I've lost a lot of money on it. But if I buy a second bike, to learn on, with the intent of buying a new one later, I'm only setting myself up to lose more money. I could buy the 2016 and be set for a long time, or I could spend the $9500, keep it a year or two, sell it, losing money in depreciation and any mods I do, so lets say I sell it for $8000, especially if the inevitable drop occurs, so I can expect to lose $1500 to $2000 in the "learning process", then turn around and buy a brand new one for $13,000 which effectively makes my brand new one cost $15,000 in the end, whereas I could have had the brand new one I want, up front, for less.

So yes, there is the fear that I'll hate riding and I spend 13 or bike, then sell it a few months later for 9, like the guy who's 2015 has been offered to me.

There's also the off chance Ill buy the 2015, be perfectly happy with it, and be glad I saved the money.

I'm not going to buy a bike with the intent of selling it in the relative near future, that just doesn't make sense. Ive done that a lot with cars and I've always lost tons of money.

I'm not interested in old Dynas or softails. I do like the new Softtail Slim, but its outside of my budget. I'm also not buying anything with a carb, I've had bad experiences with those.

Of every Harley in existence, I like 1, the 48, I've spent months doing research and have made up my mind.

I bought my house at 23, I've bought and sold something like 9 cars by age 27, now I'm 28 and looking into motorcycles, and I've always bought the old, used stuff that was a safe purchase. Now I want a shiny toy, something that isn't practical, that serves no purpose other than for me to enjoy and have fun.

I'm 28, no kids, and a very large, stable, disposable income from 3 sources, and for the first time in my life I want to go and do exactly what I want.

I also want to make an informed decision, so I came to the experts.

Old 11-01-2015 | 07:27 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Spikito
Been buying gear for a few months now, boots, gloves, helmet, and jacket are all folded up and waiting on my quilt trunk.

I really don't mean this to sound like an *******, but the whole point of this thread was to determine the pros and cons of buying a new bike vs an older low mileage one. So the idea you're proposing is the question already being asked.

As it stands I can get a very low mileage 2015 48 for $9000 or $9500, or a brand new 2016 for $13,047, now that's before negotiations. And the 2015 is a Harley transfer so I'll retain any warranties and add on's.

The thing is, Ive already bought an older bike that turned out to be a lemon, and I've lost a lot of money on it. But if I buy a second bike, to learn on, with the intent of buying a new one later, I'm only setting myself up to lose more money. I could buy the 2016 and be set for a long time, or I could spend the $9500, keep it a year or two, sell it, losing money in depreciation and any mods I do, so lets say I sell it for $8000, especially if the inevitable drop occurs, so I can expect to lose $1500 to $2000 in the "learning process", then turn around and buy a brand new one for $13,000 which effectively makes my brand new one cost $15,000 in the end, whereas I could have had the brand new one I want, up front, for less.

So yes, there is the fear that I'll hate riding and I spend 13 or bike, then sell it a few months later for 9, like the guy who's 2015 has been offered to me.

There's also the off chance Ill buy the 2015, be perfectly happy with it, and be glad I saved the money.

I'm not going to buy a bike with the intent of selling it in the relative near future, that just doesn't make sense. Ive done that a lot with cars and I've always lost tons of money.

I'm not interested in old Dynas or softails. I do like the new Softtail Slim, but its outside of my budget. I'm also not buying anything with a carb, I've had bad experiences with those.

Of every Harley in existence, I like 1, the 48, I've spent months doing research and have made up my mind.

I bought my house at 23, I've bought and sold something like 9 cars by age 27, now I'm 28 and looking into motorcycles, and I've always bought the old, used stuff that was a safe purchase. Now I want a shiny toy, something that isn't practical, that serves no purpose other than for me to enjoy and have fun.

I'm 28, no kids, and a very large, stable, disposable income from 3 sources, and for the first time in my life I want to go and do exactly what I want.

Do what you want. If you are considering a 15. Why not a 14 or 13... or even a 12. The 16 is the most radical departure from the rest (most new goodies). I like it, A LOT. Fact is you'll get the 16 and monkey it up with mods so lean towards the 15 or earlier.

I have no kids (allergic), 4 years on you, draw 6 figures, couple rides, own two houses & a condo (headache). I still wouldn't do what you are trying to do. I'm allergic to new and depreciation and very much aware of future value of money. Im scrooge. TEHO.

Last edited by cvaria; 11-01-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2015 | 08:48 PM
bgup619
Tourer

It seems to me that the choice might be made for you.. Since you aren't buying for at least a few weeks the 15 might be gone!

Old 11-01-2015 | 08:59 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Cool

No that was basic bike, black tank, no ABS or security.

ofcourse he said it was hard to give me a really good deal since I'm not standing there with money in hand, buying that day, and since its an updated model, and a 2016, with it still being 2015. If this was a 2015 still on the lot it would be a different story.

But he said that when I come in ready to be, it will be after the start on their "slow season" and we will be able to make some agreements.

But I feel like 13k is an OK starting point. thats

$11,100 for the bike
$ 360 for freight (but I think he might have said that was built into the bike price)
$ 600 for set-up
$ 700 for sales tax
$ 377 for inspection, registration, other paperwork
$13,047 total
The new suspension alone is worth on the 2016 models. As for this price, when you are ready to buy, ask for 10% off. You'll likely get it. No dealer will waste his time on lookylooos.

And I don't blame them.

Old 11-02-2015 | 05:44 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Haha.......F em dude, buy what you want

Old 11-02-2015 | 06:24 AM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

given your status, buy a new 2016...and enjoy the ride...it's great that you can fulfill the dream of owning a harley

Old 11-02-2015 | 09:15 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Smile

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
given your status, buy a new 2016...and enjoy the ride...it's great that you can fulfill the dream of owning a harley

if he wants the 16, let him get it... yes, i'm on the same page. i like the 16 a lot. it's fkn gorgeous.

i'm not saying don't get it. i'm saying get some skill on an old reliable ricer. he'll do what he want... he's a man

i literally went through the same process not even a month ago. i had to take my wallet and my ego out of the equation to focus on what i actually needed to do to get what i want. the forum talked () me off a ledge, THANK YOU ALL!

proof in the pudding:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-m-stupid.html
couple of ppl being dks in there, but the quality posts and insight of the forum set me straight.

rant:
fk the "dream of owning a harley" nonsense. that's a really low bar to have. anyone with 1 grand and the internet can have a harley. if we were talking about a saxxon, mv agusta, Vyrus, or an Ecosse... i'd get it. not a fkn $11,000 1205cc sportster... that's ridiculous. c'mon man

Old 11-02-2015 | 09:15 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

Pull the trigger on the 2016, you wont regret it!

Old 11-03-2015 | 12:19 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior

I heard 2017 adds 15 hp, LED lights and fatter rear tire.
If you wait long enough you can decide between 16 and 17

Old 11-03-2015 | 08:46 AM
brimic
Road Captain

If you are dead set on it, get it and enjoy it then.

Quick Reply: Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?