Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015 | 08:17 AM
Spikito
|
Advanced

While this is true, most DPS offices either don't offer the driving test anymore, and you have to find one that does, or they offer it on a very limited basis, and scheduling it can take months. That would also mean I have to illegally ride my own motorcycle up there. And considering ive never even sat on a bike, I think a training class is worth while before I buy a brand new Harley.

Old 10-30-2015 | 09:07 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Smile

Originally Posted by Spikito
While this is true, most DPS offices either don't offer the driving test anymore, and you have to find one that does, or they offer it on a very limited basis, and scheduling it can take months. That would also mean I have to illegally ride my own motorcycle up there. And considering ive never even sat on a bike, I think a training class is worth while before I buy a brand new Harley.
hate to be that guy, but you may not be best served by buying a new bike if this is your first rodeo.

take the class or the harley class, which i loved, and get a total POS to ride for a while. that will let you save more scratch for a 2016 and keep you from turning that new 2016 into a dropped disaster story. just saying...

i know plenty of people who have no experience just go get a new bike and are fine. but,

Old 10-30-2015 | 10:05 AM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

... I have to illegally ride my own motorcycle up there. And considering ive never even sat on a bike, I think a training class is worth while before I buy a brand new Harley.
If you're taking the Beginner's MSF course, they provide the bike. You provide your riding gear. Mother Harley used to offer a partial rebate, like 50 bucks, for rider's training courses, if you're a member of HOG. A one year membership to National HOG should be included with the sale of your bike. Joining a local HOG Chapter may be required for the rebate, which is not included in the bike's sale. Check with the dealer's HOG Rep. You can join any local chapter. It doesn't have to be at the purchasing dealer, but a National membership is required to join a local chapter. It's worth a phone call. Sometime's, HOG Chapter membership includes a discount on P-and-A (parts and accessories), at that particular dealership. HOG chapters also offer a chance to meet other people to ride with and an opportunity to discover new riding routes. Sharing the ride, makes it more fun (for most people, anyway). Some people love the HOG, some couldn't care less. My OL met a really good friend through HOG (the friend even shows up to help with our current house re-modelling project - that's a good friend), but we haven't been to a meeting in over a decade. Your mileage may differ.
HOG=Harley Owners Group

Old 10-30-2015 | 12:59 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
If you're taking the Beginner's MSF course, they provide the bike. You provide your riding gear. Mother Harley used to offer a partial rebate, like 50 bucks, for rider's training courses, if you're a member of HOG. A one year membership to National HOG should be included with the sale of your bike. Joining a local HOG Chapter may be required for the rebate, which is not included in the bike's sale. Check with the dealer's HOG Rep. You can join any local chapter. It doesn't have to be at the purchasing dealer, but a National membership is required to join a local chapter. It's worth a phone call. Sometime's, HOG Chapter membership includes a discount on P-and-A (parts and accessories), at that particular dealership. HOG chapters also offer a chance to meet other people to ride with and an opportunity to discover new riding routes. Sharing the ride, makes it more fun (for2 most people, anyway). Some people love the HOG, some couldn't care less. My OL met a really good friend through HOG (the friend even shows up to help with our current house re-modelling project - that's a good friend), but we haven't been to a meeting in over a decade. Your mileage may differ.
HOG=Harley Owners Group
Yeah,they've mentioned the local HOG group, it's apparently pretty big and active. They said theirs also a sub group of young riders. (I'M 28)

But in the comment you quoted, about bringing my bike, I was referring to not taking the course, and doing a driving test at the DPS....I highly doubt the DPS provides them.

Old 10-30-2015 | 01:01 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

So I just left the dealer, and their offer, OTD, on a 2016 model, is $13,047.

That includes tax, title, license, inspection, freight, set up, and inspection.

Their set up of $600 seemed a bit steep

Old 10-30-2015 | 01:03 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Yeah,they've mentioned the local HOG group, it's apparently pretty big and active. They said theirs also a sub group of young riders. (I'M 28)

But in the comment you quoted, about bringing my bike, I was referring to not taking the course, and doing a driving test at the DPS....I highly doubt the DPS provides them.
For the DPS test you have to bring a car and driver also. They follow you during the test.

Old 10-30-2015 | 03:31 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

Gotcha. Wasn't familiar with "DPS" in TX. I guess it's the equivalent to DMV, in VA. Smart move, taking a course.

Old 10-30-2015 | 08:32 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

So I just left the dealer, and their offer, OTD, on a 2016 model, is $13,047.

That includes tax, title, license, inspection, freight, set up, and inspection.

Their set up of $600 seemed a bit steep
Is that price with the ABS and Security Option and Not in black? Thats a good price in my opinion. I'd take it...

I ask about the bike not being black because if its not that's considered a color option and costs more money.

Old 10-30-2015 | 09:34 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Do it on the phone or email. Ask for manager, eliminate the salesman for more savings. You should be able to get to $12k. I had $11200 on a new with color tank. no abs or security though, but $800 will cover that.

Old 10-31-2015 | 06:24 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

No that was basic bike, black tank, no ABS or security.

ofcourse he said it was hard to give me a really good deal since I'm not standing there with money in hand, buying that day, and since its an updated model, and a 2016, with it still being 2015. If this was a 2015 still on the lot it would be a different story.

But he said that when I come in ready to be, it will be after the start on their "slow season" and we will be able to make some agreements.

But I feel like 13k is an OK starting point. thats

$11,100 for the bike
$ 360 for freight (but I think he might have said that was built into the bike price)
$ 600 for set-up
$ 700 for sales tax
$ 377 for inspection, registration, other paperwork
$13,047 total

Quick Reply: Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?