Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015 | 11:39 AM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

The OP needs to focus on the Out the Door Price on the bike from his local dealer or be willing to shop. If he can land it under 13.5k out the door than your getting a good deal on a brand new bike.

Old 10-27-2015 | 01:33 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Blackhawk48
The OP needs to focus on the Out the Door Price on the bike from his local dealer or be willing to shop. If he can land it under 13.5k out the door than your getting a good deal on a brand new bike.
13.5 is just too much. let some sucker take that depreciation hit.

Old 10-27-2015 | 05:53 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Thank you, The bike I want is already sitting on the showroom floor. The 2015 in comparison is exactly the same, as far as I know, black, basic model, no ABS, no Security.

If this was a $30k long trip cruiser then maybe I'd spring for it, but this is a weekend toy and something to ride to and from work.

As it sits, I asked the dealer, who is also the owner of the dealership, what the 2016 costs as it sits, and he said "About 11", MSRP is $11,100

I could understand paying freight charges if I were ordering one, but if its a base model, already on the lot, why would I pay an extra $1000+, that's not already represented in the sticker price?

If somehow 3 or 4k is going to get snuck in their on me, then Harley can kiss my ***.

Old 10-27-2015 | 05:56 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

[QUOTE=Blackhawk48;14520374]My figures are based off full MSRP, obviously there's room to move so don't be offended by my numbers. I'm being honest and open with you guys so the OP knows what he's looking at. Tax buying from a dealer is something that no salesman can control so that's the bad part of the gig. Tax added onto a bike kills deals all the time so its hard.

Texas sales tax on motorcycles is 6.25%, so 11,100 turns into 11,800. I'm prepared for that.

Old 10-27-2015 | 06:10 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guzzi
I would find another dealer instead of taking a screwing from this one.
HD sales are down and it's reflected in the stock market.
I always know what model bike/automobile I want and make the deal over the phone instead of the sales floor. Be willing to travel to get tlhe best deal.

Theres only 1 other HD dealer within 100 miles of me. Local has one other bike shop, but its all BMX stuff and side by sides.

Plus a little shop that focuses on 70s jap mini bikes......yeah....

Old 10-27-2015 | 07:05 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spikito
Thank you, The bike I want is already sitting on the showroom floor. The 2015 in comparison is exactly the same, as far as I know, black, basic model, no ABS, no Security.

If this was a $30k long trip cruiser then maybe I'd spring for it, but this is a weekend toy and something to ride to and from work.

As it sits, I asked the dealer, who is also the owner of the dealership, what the 2016 costs as it sits, and he said "About 11", MSRP is $11,100

I could understand paying freight charges if I were ordering one, but if its a base model, already on the lot, why would I pay an extra $1000+, that's not already represented in the sticker price?

If somehow 3 or 4k is going to get snuck in their on me, then Harley can kiss my ***.
Yea I agree buddy, that extra $1100 the dealer has you pay. Part of it is shipping that HD charges the dealer to get the bike there. The other part is the set-up cost that the dealer pays to get the bike put together with fluids etc...

If they can't move on the cost of the freight and set up than have them give you some gear! Or have them give you a new seat for the bike or whatever you can think of bud.

Old 10-27-2015 | 07:33 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Yea I agree buddy, that extra $1100 the dealer has you pay. Part of it is shipping that HD charges the dealer to get the bike there. The other part is the set-up cost that the dealer pays to get the bike put together with fluids etc...

If they can't move on the cost of the freight and set up than have them give you some gear! Or have them give you a new seat for the bike or whatever you can think of bud.
That could be possible, they're really kissing my *** on buying a bike.

I still dont understand freight and set-up. I don't even know what set up is.

If I were ordering a bike from Harley and having it delivered, or having mods to the bike done, then I could understand. But a bike that's already sitting on the lot?

And whats being set-up? they just have to roll it outside, lol

Old 10-27-2015 | 07:45 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Theres only 1 other HD dealer within 100 miles of me. Local has one other bike shop, but its all BMX stuff and side by sides.

Plus a little shop that focuses on 70s jap mini bikes......yeah....
100 miles in Houston and you can still be in the Houston metro area,
I was ready to go to Austin, San Antonio, Beaumont, or Dallas to get a deal on a Harley.
U haul rents motorcycle trailers for $15 per day.
I've bought 3 bikes in San Antonio (individuals) and gone as far as North Carolina.

Last edited by Guzzi; 10-27-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2015 | 08:58 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

That could be possible, they're really kissing my *** on buying a bike.

I still dont understand freight and set-up. I don't even know what set up is.

If I were ordering a bike from Harley and having it delivered, or having mods to the bike done, then I could understand. But a bike that's already sitting on the lot?

And whats being set-up? they just have to roll it outside, lol
Freight is the cost for your dealer to get the bike from the plant in Milwaukee. The setup is them putting the bike together. So when the bike comes in they have to top off the oil, put a battery in the bike, install the mirrors, and get the controls set in the right spot. They also set the belt tension and minor stuff like that. The parts and labor makes up the cost of the setup fee when buying a new bike.

Old 10-27-2015 | 11:03 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

A good set up also ensures the bike is in proper order from the factory. A lot of horror story bikes, gremlins and nonesense that ruin the joy of ownership and riding a particular bike, come from dealers that don't set up the bike properly. Not a step to take lightly or skimp on.

Quick Reply: Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?