Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:05 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blackhawk48
There's a couple things you have to consider...did the owner of the 2015 do the 1k service already? thats $300 right there. If your buying used you save on set up and freight. Then again the 2016 has a much better ride. I currently have a 2011 and I work for HD and I the first time I took the 16 out it blew me away at how much better the front end felt. The brakes feel awesome and the rear shocks are very good for stock. I like the mags due to the fact you dont gotta worry about the tubes anymore. There's pros and cons to both. Someone also said earlier about another model year of depreciation...that's huge for residual value. For me in your situation I would go with the 2016.
ill have to ask about that, but from what I was told, I doubt it has 1k miles on it, The guy has only had it a few months and rode it very little.

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:07 PM
Spikito
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Paying cash won't help you. They make money from the financing, if you use Harley's financing, and will occasionally lower the selling price. It's worth asking about. A question should be free. Having the cash, you can pay it off, immediately. The '15 doesn't sound like much of a deal, once you consider a year's worth of depreciation. With the '16, you'll also have an additional year of warranty, if that matters to you.

I'm not paying cash in full, just a large chunk, there will still be financing involved.

Old 10-25-2015 | 10:14 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Another vote for a new 2016 48. That is no screamin' deal on the 2015 48.

Old 10-26-2015 | 12:08 AM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

The 1,000 mile service is about 50 bucks worth of fluids, a couple gaskets and an oil filter. A total of about 70 skins. A Service Manual is about 60 clams, which is a worthwhile investment, no matter how much work you plan to perform on either bike. If you want something done right, do it yourself. Plus, we're here to help when you have questions or feel intimidated. I was the Parts Department Manager for a couple years at a large, metropolitan area Harley dealership, with 5 Harleys since 2000. Four of them, brand new. Three in the garage, now. One, I've had for 13 years and I can't imagine ever selling it. I certainly don't know everything, but there's a wealth of knowledge/experience, here on HDForums. It looks like you know your way around a tool box, anyway.
The color of the bike might make a difference, too. For instance, a dark red bike wouldn't make my socks go up and down, and I'd be disappointed every time I looked at it. As for the oil, gaskets, filter and Service Manual, negotiate a discount on parts/accessories before closing on the sale. Fifteen percent off for 180 days after purchase, is a good starting point. I wouldn't settle for less than 10% for 30 days, and I'd feel beat up if that's all I could get. Whatever you decide, it'll be the right decision for you. Besides, once you sign on the dotted line, there are no do-overs. Just enjoy the ride.
Pics, when you get it. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2015 | 08:29 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
The 1,000 mile service is about 50 bucks worth of fluids, a couple gaskets and an oil filter. A total of about 70 skins. A Service Manual is about 60 clams, which is a worthwhile investment, no matter how much work you plan to perform on either bike. If you want something done right, do it yourself. Plus, we're here to help when you have questions or feel intimidated. I was the Parts Department Manager for a couple years at a large, metropolitan area Harley dealership, with 5 Harleys since 2000. Four of them, brand new. Three in the garage, now. One, I've had for 13 years and I can't imagine ever selling it. I certainly don't know everything, but there's a wealth of knowledge/experience, here on HDForums. It looks like you know your way around a tool box, anyway.
The color of the bike might make a difference, too. For instance, a dark red bike wouldn't make my socks go up and down, and I'd be disappointed every time I looked at it. As for the oil, gaskets, filter and Service Manual, negotiate a discount on parts/accessories before closing on the sale. Fifteen percent off for 180 days after purchase, is a good starting point. I wouldn't settle for less than 10% for 30 days, and I'd feel beat up if that's all I could get. Whatever you decide, it'll be the right decision for you. Besides, once you sign on the dotted line, there are no do-overs. Just enjoy the ride.
Pics, when you get it. Good luck.
^this^

Old 10-26-2015 | 09:05 AM
subguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spikito
I'm a new rider, I take my riding class (required in Texas) in 2 weeks, and Hopefully will be buying my bike early December.

Been around various bikes, mostly Harleys my whole life, and finally pulled the trigger. I've had a pintrest for awhile, just saving pictures of bikes and power tools, and I realized that most of pics look like the Harley 48, so I looked into it, and really seems like exactly what I want

And more importantly I can afford it.

After reading up o the new changes for 2016, I decided to buy new rather than used. I like the idea of picking up a bike with 10 miles on it, no one else's farts on the seat, doing all the mods myself, etc, etc.

At the dealer they're listed for about $11k. I figure if I present with cash I can walk out at $10.5. The exact bike I want is currently sitting on the showroom floor

But one of the salesmen has a client who got a 2015 a few months ago, rode it a little bit, and decided its not for him, so its been sitting in the garage, VERY low miles.

I can have it for $9500, and Harley will do the transfer and I will retain all the new owner perks, warranties, etc.

I don't like the wire wheels as much as the mags, but I do think they fit the bike, and I could upgrade the rear shocks with the saved cash. The only part that bothers me is the thinner front forks.

What do you guys think?
Does the 2015 have ABS? Keyless Ignition? $1100 for the 2016 probably does not have those options (I am assuming).

Remember, whatever price they give you on the 2016, they are going to tack on dealer prep and freight/shipping (about $1100 more added to the price). Don't forget sales tax and doc fees added to the price. The 2015 is not going to have the dealer prep and freight/shipping since it has been paid by the previous owner. So there is $1100 savings right there (unless you can convince the dealer to not charge you on the 2016).

The 2015 is going to be $9500 plus sales tax and doc fees only. The 2016 with dealer prep/shipping is going to be around $12100 plus sales tax and doc fees.

Old 10-26-2015 | 10:25 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

^This. We currently have a 2016 at my work and its $12,739 in Billet Silver with ABS and Security. Tack on another $1170 in set up and freight, then another $170 Doc Fees, plus tax. All said and done it goes over $15k depending on what county my customer is in. Now if you bought a 2015 from me for $9500 you'd be looking at only $325 in prep plus the $170 for Doc, plus tax. So your saving a good amount of money. Oh and like I said before, you still gotta do the 1k service on the new bike, through the dealer is about $300 so you gotta account for that too.

Even with all that I still vote for the 2016...

Old 10-27-2015 | 06:25 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Blackhawk48
^This. We currently have a 2016 at my work and its $12,739 in Billet Silver with ABS and Security. Tack on another $1170 in set up and freight, then another $170 Doc Fees, plus tax. All said and done it goes over $15k depending on what county my customer is in. Now if you bought a 2015 from me for $9500 you'd be looking at only $325 in prep plus the $170 for Doc, plus tax. So your saving a good amount of money. Oh and like I said before, you still gotta do the 1k service on the new bike, through the dealer is about $300 so you gotta account for that too.

Even with all that I still vote for the 2016...
I would find another dealer instead of taking a screwing from this one.
HD sales are down and it's reflected in the stock market.
I always know what model bike/automobile I want and make the deal over the phone instead of the sales floor. Be willing to travel to get the best deal.

Old 10-27-2015 | 07:32 AM
Otter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Guzzi
I always know what model bike/automobile I want and make the deal over the phone instead of the sales floor. Be willing to travel to get the best deal.
This ^ Don’t pay more than MSRP. If your local dealer wont do it, go somewhere else. $15k for a new sporty is asinine, I don’t know why anyone would put up with that nonsense..

Old 10-27-2015 | 11:33 AM
Blackhawk48
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guzzi
My figures are based off full MSRP, obviously there's room to move so don't be offended by my numbers. I'm being honest and open with you guys so the OP knows what he's looking at. Tax buying from a dealer is something that no salesman can control so that's the bad part of the gig. Tax added onto a bike kills deals all the time so its hard.

Originally Posted by Otter
This ^ Don’t pay more than MSRP. If your local dealer wont do it, go somewhere else. $15k for a new sporty is asinine, I don’t know why anyone would put up with that nonsense..
Sportsters are going up in price due to them getting added features of ABS and Security. Keep that in mind, a base 48 is a tad over $11k now. ABS is $795 and Security another $395.

Last edited by Blackhawk48; 10-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley 48, 2015 or 2016?