Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM
HoganLongfellow
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Too Loud

What's up fellas.....I've had my Sporty a few weeks and I am in love with this bike - I've put about 1500 miles on her and I'm having a blast doing it.

Only 2 things I want to improve:
1) It's got a flat spot at low/mid RPM...gotta sort that out. I'm guessing the original owner added the pipes but didn't re-jet, so I'll dig in and do that to try to sort this out.

2) This thing SCREAMS hahaha....I love the sound of a tuned bike, but this thing is a little too loud. I have V&H Straight Shots with the factory baffles, and I ordered the quiet baffles yesterday; unfortunately I saw a post earlier today where I can wrap the stock baffle with a stove door gasket to help quiet it down (wish I'd thought of that earlier). Sucks that I spent $70 on baffles already, but I'm going to try both and see which sounds better. Worst case i'll send the baffles back and eat a restock fee.

My question is: I've heard the thunderheader is the best for performance, anyone have any suggestions for a moderate-volume performance exhaust? I live in a townhouse so I wanna keep the volume reasonable...pissing off the neighbors is never a good thing, I ride a lot so I don't want them crying to the HOA.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Most 2-1 are quieter and produce better power. They just seem more expensive. Well, for the ones that I like they are.

Yeah, rejet it

Old 10-23-2015, 11:07 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have short shots and live in a town house I just stay off the throttle when I hit the drive way at night.. When I come in late I'll get a good start and kill it as I turn in and coast to our spot

Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Patriot Defender produces excellent power and is the best bang for the buck. It also has an adjustable baffle so you can have it quiet or loud.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:57 AM
vasalone
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought there was no such thing as HD thats too loud!

Anyway congrations on the bike and good luck.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by HoganLongfellow
What's up fellas.....I've had my Sporty a few weeks and I am in love with this bike - I've put about 1500 miles on her and I'm having a blast doing it.

Only 2 things I want to improve:
1) It's got a flat spot at low/mid RPM...gotta sort that out. I'm guessing the original owner added the pipes but didn't re-jet, so I'll dig in and do that to try to sort this out.

2) This thing SCREAMS hahaha....I love the sound of a tuned bike, but this thing is a little too loud. I have V&H Straight Shots with the factory baffles, and I ordered the quiet baffles yesterday; unfortunately I saw a post earlier today where I can wrap the stock baffle with a stove door gasket to help quiet it down (wish I'd thought of that earlier). Sucks that I spent $70 on baffles already, but I'm going to try both and see which sounds better. Worst case i'll send the baffles back and eat a restock fee.

My question is: I've heard the thunderheader is the best for performance, anyone have any suggestions for a moderate-volume performance exhaust? I live in a townhouse so I wanna keep the volume reasonable...pissing off the neighbors is never a good thing, I ride a lot so I don't want them crying to the HOA.
Before you give up on the Straight Shots, give them a try with the quiet baffle AND some Thunder Torque Inserts. It may be quiet enough for you (and your neighbors).

The TTI's will definitely get rid of the flat spot...it is probably not tuning, just the nature of those pipes. The TTI's will give a good bump in low & mid range power.

The Thunder Header is a good pipe, and with a TTI in it will deepen the tone a bit and add about 5% to the low/mid range power. Same with the Patriot Defender. Neither one of them is a particularly quiet pipe.

Another good option for looks, performance and sound is the Competition Series 2-1. It is available in Stainless and Black. See Details HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM
HoganLongfellow
Intermediate

Nice thank you!! I put the quiet baffles in Saturday and it's more neighborhood friendly - so I'm cool with these now.

BUT

Twice the bike started surging at highway speeds. Mid-throttle, just cruising around 70mph I felt a slight little surge/miss. I'm going to tackle cleaning the carb, intake seals and checking to see if its jetted pretty soon when the weather really cools down.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:42 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by HoganLongfellow
Nice thank you!! I put the quiet baffles in Saturday and it's more neighborhood friendly - so I'm cool with these now.

BUT

Twice the bike started surging at highway speeds. Mid-throttle, just cruising around 70mph I felt a slight little surge/miss. I'm going to tackle cleaning the carb, intake seals and checking to see if its jetted pretty soon when the weather really cools down.
Cool! Once you get the surge/miss sorted out, give the TTI's a try. You will be pleasantly surprised by the bump in low and mid range power.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM
HoganLongfellow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Cool! Once you get the surge/miss sorted out, give the TTI's a try. You will be pleasantly surprised by the bump in low and mid range power.
Do you think having the quiet baffles and these will be too restrictive?

my baffles also fit flush w/ the end of the actual pipe, so I'd just have to drill thru the pipe and the baffle - which leads me to another problem, my heat shield doesn't have room. would I have to go thru all 3?

Attached Thumbnails A Little Too Loud-thmz4zhyug.jpg  

Last edited by HoganLongfellow; 10-26-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typing too fast haha
Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Try the TTI's Q model using your existing baffles. It may be enough to quiet down your pipes and smooth out the flat spots while giving you more low-mid range power. If it works, return the quite baffles and save some money. Edit - just noticed you already installed the quiet baffles so I guess you need to work with it.

I used the W model and it also quiet down my pipes some so the Q model may be sufficient. TTI's are a low-cost high-benefit fix.

Last edited by hscic; 10-26-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: A Little Too Loud