Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 HD Iron vs Bonneville SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 AM
sql_lover
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 HD Iron vs Bonneville SE

Hi,

I've been riding motorcycles for quite a while. To be honest, HD is not one of my favorite ones because suspension travel and other mechanical details. Having said that, they are beautiful bikes, and I basically love bikes in general.

With that little introduction , I just recently found out about the new 2016 Iron and its suspension changes. There were some cosmetic changes and that bike is now "calling my name" stronger than ever.

Understanding this is a HD forum, can someone who rode or own the 2016 Iron model, tell me how it would compare to the 2012 Bonneville SE in terms of rear suspension and comfort? I truly love my Bonneville and rear suspension travel with stock suspension is very good for Houston streets, at least, on my area.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
t100rc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way an iron is going to have nearly as much suspension travel as the Bonnie. In fact, I'm pretty sure your Bonnie will out perform the 883 Sportster across the board. That being said, the Iron isn't a 'standard' like the Bonneville. You're really comparing apples to oranges. Triumph makes great motorcycles and the Bonnie is a fine machine ... The rubber-mounted Sportster is also (in my opinion) one of the best motorcycles being built. They are vastly different bikes ... Hit the dealership and demo one ... Who cares about what everyone else says ... YOU are the one who will be riding it ...

Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM
sql_lover
6th Gear

Originally Posted by t100rc
No way an iron is going to have nearly as much suspension travel as the Bonnie. In fact, I'm pretty sure your Bonnie will out perform the 883 Sportster across the board. That being said, the Iron isn't a 'standard' like the Bonneville. You're really comparing apples to oranges. Triumph makes great motorcycles and the Bonnie is a fine machine ... The rubber-mounted Sportster is also (in my opinion) one of the best motorcycles being built. They are vastly different bikes ... Hit the dealership and demo one ... Who cares about what everyone else says ... YOU are the one who will be riding it ...
Thanks for reply

I should have said that I also own a Street Triple R. While the Bonnie is comfy, I'm looking for an even more relax position and maybe the Iron can provide that? Maybe I'm wrong.

I want to have two opposites rides at my garage: an aggressive riding and a relax one.

I've never ridden a cruiser so maybe my mind is on 2016 Iron looks and not on its handling, when comparing to the Bonnie.

A test ride is definitely a good idea.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

the updated iron is stunning.

the new 48 is something you really need to see in person to appreciate. it's beautiful.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 324 Posts

Relaxed is one of your operative words.
An Iron suspension is not necessarily relaxed because of its limited travel.
Plus the seat is not necessary "cushy".

However, driving an Iron at a relaxed pace is fulfilling.

I believe your Bonnie is more comfortable and easier to be ridden fast with its higher rev limit.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 AM
sql_lover
6th Gear

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your honest opinion.

I'm in my lunch break and just came from the HD dealer that is just 5 min away from my office. I sat on the 2016 Iron and the 2016 HD 48. OMG! Beautifully bikes. The sales guy also showed me the Breakout but that's just way over my budget and not what I'm looking for. We talked about a possible test ride and I may do that soon.

I don't know if I will like the Iron or 48 ride, but those are one of the most beautiful machines I've ever seen. Perfect balance between black and chrome.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM
sql_lover
6th Gear

One more thing.

My commute is 90% city (low or no traffic) and 10% highway with traffic. I use the Street Triple to commute (and my car) and the Bonnie only for the weekends, chilling around my home, going to Barnes and Noble, etc. So a potential Bonnie's replacement will fulfill that need, rarely a commute bike.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you also check out the Street series? Those are tuned (handling, engine, etc) more towards an urban rider, which it sounds like you are. Also worth taking a peek at, if you're open.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
sql_lover
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nathan-hd48
Did you also check out the Street series? Those are tuned (handling, engine, etc) more towards an urban rider, which it sounds like you are. Also worth taking a peek at, if you're open.
I honestly didn't check but don't like the way they look :-) at least online.

What would be the main difference?

Also, if I do this I set my budget to 9k or around that, no more. That will limit my options I guess.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

I cruise a 2014 Sports 1200 all over Houston highways at 80 mph.
I've replaced the stock shocks and fork springs for a much better ride .
Triumphs are hard to beat with their smooth powerband. Had a 95 Triumph Sprint 900 that was really fun. If it wasn't for the bad sprag gear in that year model, I would still be riding it.

Quick Reply: 2016 HD Iron vs Bonneville SE