Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed fairings on their Sporty? - Please post pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:22 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
To sell or to keep?
Your honest opinions please..positive or negative. I won't be offended. Just trying to determine if I should spend a few hundred more to color match/pinstripe and change my headlight to 7".

Did not install the 5" tinted windshield yet since did not want to scratch it. The fairings are just sitting on the mounts. It is not set in the exact position since I am having difficulty getting the fairing bracket on the rubber HD mounts. Is this common?
The only issue I encountered with this fairing was the bottom fairing mounting bracket did not slide onto the HD docking hardware. So will be grinding the bottom opening of the bracket a little so it slides down easily but still tight. Supplier said it was because of the thick paint coating.

I think I will keep it as it is low enough to see over the fairing, would protect me from wind and rain, and it sits nicely on the bike. Would look much better color matched and pinstriped with a 7" chrome headlight too.

For those who requested a step by step, there was no instructions that came with the fairing but it is easy to figure out. The fairing came with a backing, a separate back piece which bolts on to the front fairing, which is a nice touch. The mounting brackets bolt on to the back piece. You also need to bolt on the windshield between the front and back pieces. All hardware except the HD docking hardware came with the fairing. Will be painting both front and back. The most difficult part is moving the HD docking hardware in the proper position for the fairing mounts since it is not a trigger mount, its a slide-on mount that snaps (seats) in place so the position needs to be pretty much perfect. I will probably zip-tie the bracket to the mount to make sure it does not shift and fly off...lol

Update: Stupid me....broke the HD docking hardware bolt on one of the mounts. Had to order a second kit to replace that mount. The price to pay when you over-tighten. I am still cussing at myself.

Thanks you all for your input! I will post pics of the completed job on this thread as well a my thread "Calling all Sportster Baggers..." https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...bagger-21.html

Last edited by hscic; 11-07-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Where did you get your 7" headlight? I am looking at a couple of local suppliers locally but if can't find one, need to order online. Need a 7" chrome bottom-mount headlight on that uses a H4 bulb (not a sealed lamp)
The front-end does look a little skinny (if you ask my honest opinion) but that is maybe just me. I would say mount the fairing and the bigger headlight and snap pic of the whole bike from different angles. It might very well gel together (especially with those fat spokes).

Also mine isn't a 7" headlight. It's the stock 5 3/4" headlight. I just added a brow. Also my batwing fairing actually doesn't stick out in front too much as it's a different shape than yours. So that might be it.

Last edited by kingxirol; 11-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kingxirol
The front-end does look a little skinny (if you ask my honest opiion) but that maybe just me. I would say mount the fairing and the bigger headlight and snap pic of the whole bike from different angles. It might very well gel together (especially with those fat spokes).

Also mine isn't a 7" headlight. It's the stock 5 3/4" headlight. I just added a brow. Also my batwing fairing actually doesn't stick out in front too much as it's a different shape than yours. So that might be it.
Thanks for your comments. We will see how it turns out.

I just love to work on the bike...can't seem to stop finding things to do. Keeps the mind working and off the stress of work...haha. You are probably the same based on what you have done to your ride. The wife already told me a while back to stop already...so had to sneak this one in since it is going to be noticeable when it is on the bike.....need to figure out my next excuse....LOL. Already have my next mod...a billet high flow oil filter http://dkcustomproducts.com/OUTLAW-H...K-OCOF-CRM.htm

Last edited by hscic; 11-07-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:01 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

Thanks for your comments. We will see how it turns out.

I just love to work on the bike...can't seem to stop finding things to do. Keeps the mind working and off the stress of work...haha. You are probably the same based on what you have done to your ride. The wife already told me a while back to stop already...so had to sneak this one in since it is going to be noticeable when it is on the bike.....need to figure out my next excuse....LOL. Already have my next mod...a billet high flow oil filter http://dkcustomproducts.com/OUTLAW-H...K-OCOF-CRM.htm
You read my mind. many hours and busted knuckles went into turning my bike what it looks like today. And you are so right about dreading the explaining I would've to do if a box would show up at the door while I was away.
Been there my friend. However now mods have slowed down quite a bit mainly due to the constant traveling and also the bike is pretty much there where I wanted it to be.
That is unless one fine day I decide to pull everything down and turn it into a bobber.

Enjoy the stress relief and lighter pockets.

Last edited by kingxirol; 11-07-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:21 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Bought this 7" chrome bottom mounted headlight from J&P Cycles with replaceable bulb (not a sealed lamp) so I am able to change to LED:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100...&totalResult=1

Now the fairings can go to the shop for color-matching and pinstriping,

Thanks again and Ride safe!

Last edited by hscic; 11-08-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,022 Likes on 9,230 Posts

I had Memphis Shades Gauntlet on my Seventy Two. I loved it. I sold the 72 but kept the fairing. It's for sale. Chrome HW with smoked shield. Like brand new. $200 including hardware. Send me a private message if interested. I live in San Diego county.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Bought this 7" chrome bottom mounted headlight from J&P Cycles with replaceable bulb (not a sealed lamp) so I am able to change to LED:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100...&totalResult=1

Now the fairings can go to the shop for color-matching and pinstriping,

Thanks again and Ride safe!
Installed headlight - ready for fairing.

The following users liked this post:
1Dyna03 (04-26-2021)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Just picked up my fairing from the painter. Hope to install soon.

Last edited by hscic; 12-05-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I put a Memphis shades gauntlet fairing on my Iron and I wouldnt ride without it now

edit: Fairing looks nice painted like that

Old 12-03-2015, 10:49 PM
weaverkb
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it installed.

Quick Reply: Anyone installed fairings on their Sporty? - Please post pic