Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle classes are life savers!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:46 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle classes are life savers!!

I had not ridden a bike in years and decided to take classes before I started riding my sporster. Well twice I saved my own life by grabbing the brakes in a panic stop at over 60mph and even though I went into a long skid, the stop was a controled straight line stop. If you have a friend or loved one starting to ride give them the gift of life with motorcycle classes. Its not for sissys but for the smart.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle classes are life savers!!

It's good to hear that taking the classes did you some good. When I got my endorsement, they didn't have anything like that. I can see where it would be very useful for a person to do. Glad that it helped you.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:25 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well said!!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 150 Likes on 42 Posts

It's a great idea for newer riders to take the rider courses. It gives you an understanding of why things are done a certain way.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
stingray72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend the classes to all my friends that have never ridden a motorcycle. It's amazing how many guys will go out and buy a 120HP crotch rocket and have never ridden any sort of motorcycle. I cut my teeth on dirtbikes and rode motocross/supercross a little when I was young. I love dirtbikes. I think they give you a good feeling of how a motorcycle is going to react to certain things and most of the time you're not on asphault so WHEN you fall off you might not get hurt as bad. As always anything can happen.

I think my mom is about to sign up for the class and get her own bike to ride instead of going 2up with dad

Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Like most people on this forum, i had started riding bicycles at around 7, graduated to motorcycles at 16 I rode 50 Hondas 90 Yamaha's They were light and easy and you could throw them around if they started to go down. At 19 I graduated to a 650 Triumph and later a 650 Yamaha. Long story shorter, I was riding for over 30 years without getting a Motorcycle License Earlier this year I decided to buy my first Harley. Wanting everything to be legal, not wanting to take the test on a "big" bike and not knowing anyone with a smaller bike I could borrow, i looked into taking the MSF classes. They provide the bike (250 Suzuki) and at the end you get your license, and it is free. Great idea! First day I meet people in my class that have never been on a motorcycle let alone drive one. Whoa I thought this will be fun, but I know how to ride 30 years only two minor accidents (one the guy ran a stop sign and hit me) I know how to ride! Well I can't tell you how many times during the course I said "I didn't know that" but it was quite a few. During the classes we all became fast friends. At the end, we ALL got our licenses. The people who were never on a bike were riding fine. People who started by looking terrified were riding with confidence. I, as a guy who knew how to ride dammit! learned a thing or two that made me more confident also. I think these courses are the best thing for anyone who wants to learn all the nuances and techniques necessary to stay alive on the road. My wife wants to take the course next summer and get her own Bike and I am going back for the advanced rider course. It is well worth the time and effort. My 2 cents.