Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust - do I need this also

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:46 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: exhaust - do I need this also

First point: No, you don't NEED AC and rejet if you just want to add sli-on mufflers.

On price: That's high. What year is your bike? Example: You can buy CS slip-ons from Jireh’s for $under 130 shipped. You can find a SE AC kit for about $100 shipped from Ebay or other. A Dynojet kit can run you as little as $60 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNOJ...spagenameZWDVW ). You should be able to get all three items shipped to you for under $300. Pocket the savings.

I don't want this thread to digress into a DJ kit debate but I do want to point out that you don't NEED a DJ Thunderslide kit. A standard DJ kit will work. The T-slide kit adds the slide and can add some throttle response and performance but its effects are heavily debated. I have one in my bike and a standard kit in my wife's bike. Either works but you can save a few dollars if you get the regular kit instead of a T-slide. Also understand that there are other rejetting options available to you. I am only speaking to the DJ kits since that was what you indicated was on your shopping list.

You can save lots of money by doing all or part of the installation yourself. Even if you've done little but change your oil, you can easily install the mufflers and air cleaner yourself. You can do the carb jetting too but if that's a little more than you want to tackle I suggest the following in order:

1. Install the mufflers yourself.
2. Have dealer install jet kit. ***
3. Install the air cleaner as soon as you get the bike home from the dealer.

***Since they are doing the install with the stock air cleaner there is the possibility that you will run lean after you add the new air cleaner. Two options for fixing that. First, ask them to set it up slightly rich when they jet it. Or adjust the air-fuel mixture yourself (instructions and help here in this site).

Do this and you'll save a few hundred bucks.

ORIGINAL: denisl

The $485 is without installation.

The slip on's are cycle shack baloney mufflers p/n 1801-0009 for $189.17

I'm really torn between slip ons or full pipes... I like the look of both pipes ending next to eachother.. decisions decisions.. (or $ and more $)

Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AS said above , simple Muffler change does not require all to be done. If you change to the K&N, cut the back from the Backplate of the Air Filter cover, leave only what fits around the Carb throat and the crankcase breather tubes or ports. A simple jet change is 3 bucks for the jet.
All that being said, I would not re-jet if I could not get the carb tuned. I re-jetted months ago, went to a 45 slow jet. Just last week end I decided to try my hand at tuning the Carb, setting the Air/Fuel Mixture. It took me a few tries to get it adjusted to my satisfaction, but Brother, it was like a totally different Scoot. Much more throttle response, and much more power all the way thru the rpm's. It is worth the price to have the Dealer Dyno tune the Scoot/Carb after re-jetting, if you can't or don't want to do it on yer own.
I have decided to buy a few more tools/Instruments for the shop and do Carb tuning for all my Buds. Gonna build my own Exhaust Analyzer and I bought an Inductive tach, so I can get 'em set right!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 PM
iasporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i wouldnt buy anything from that dealer if i were you, trying to milk you like that. if ya have any other dealers nearby i would try them out. i only buy the small stuff from the dealer now, the rest you can always get cheaper on the net somewhere, even with shipping. ebay is a great place, as well as www.zanottimotor.com and www.surdyke.com. installion of all that stuff is pretty much a breeze, the only thing i would recommend having done at a dealer is the tuning.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 AM
denisl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.. I plan on doing all work myself.

My first step will be the exhaust. The AC and jet will come later, but not too much later!

Any recommendations for online vendors for exhausts? Thanks!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:25 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know for sure you can find CS slip-ons from jirehcycles.com for $120-130 shipped. But also check Ebay. I got a brand new set for my Softy from Ebay for $80 that are $230+ most places.

I didn't mention it in the prvious post but the DJ kits are not your only option. I am partial to them because they contain multiple jets for a variety of setups, return spring, drill bits, good instructions; everything you need. But, there are alternatives. You can just buy the jets and other stuff individually for less than the cost of the kit. Anyway, some like the kits and some prefer to just do jets. Consider that an option for you. It could save you a few more dollars.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: denisl

Thanks everyone.. I plan on doing all work myself.

My first step will be the exhaust. The AC and jet will come later, but not too much later!

Any recommendations for online vendors for exhausts? Thanks!
The best source for Cycle Shack exhaust has already been given:

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...E=JIREH_CYCLES

Good prices, and great service....hard to beat!!!