Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kepping warm in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
dirico1266
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kepping warm in cold weather?

Hi All,

I am new to this whole bike riding, but here in boston it has been a cold start to the spring. The low this morning was 45 degrees but I decided to ride my bike to work because it saves gas. My job is 50 miles aways I was cruisen at 60-65mph. After about 20 miles into the ride it got so cold that I started to feel somewhat sick but managed to make it the whole 50 miles. My body tempature was 94.6 when I got to work which is mild hypothermia. It took 3 hours for my body to warm up. This is what I had on.

thermals, light pair of sweats and then jeans..

Warms socks and ofcourse my harley boots.

A long sleeve shirt, 2 sweatshirts, a harley vest and a big heavy jacket, harley gloves.

One benie cap to cover my ears and then a full face warm mask on top of that.

Just don't know really what all you guys are wearing in the cold but some advice would be good.

I have heated gloves (not connected today)

I will invest in a heated vest and pants if I have to..

I also have NO windshield..How much wind will that cut down?

My bike has no modification so far..

Thanks All, Joe

Old 05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Biker Chick
Advanced
Default RE: Kepping warm in cold weather?

Were you wearing a helmet? That definately helps (all your body heat goes up outa your head, otherwise). And, yes,a windshield helps a lot, too. Were your feet cold? If so, insulated boots help (keeping feet and head warm are absolutely essential, or you will get cold, regardless of how many layers of clothing you have on). Really warm gloves (heated or otherwise) are fairly essential too, as numb hands make riding dangerous. Be safe out there.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, looks like you had the layers on. Make sure one of your layers actually is a wind breaker.

I'm up in Maine and have the same, crappy weather. I've been wearing my winter jacket that I wear for downhill skiing. It blocks the wind and keeps me toasty with just a t-shirt and sweatshirt underneath. Jeans with thermals, insulated boots, and gloves and a full face helmet and I'm good.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Is your jacket leather or otherwise windproof? You also might want to look at leather pants or chaps. A windshield also makes a big difference. Even though I live in FL, I've ridden in the mid 40s with fewer layers than you had on without a problem but I do have a windshield.

Also, if SportyPig chimes in here I'm sure he will recommend some pantyhose.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

why are we talking about this? It is summer and 80 out. Pass me an ice pack.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

A windsheild and a good leather jacket would really help.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Chaps help greatly. Also have a leather jacket with a removable liner. Not just a vest liner but a full liner including sleeves. A Fleece collar is great. They're like just the neck of a turtle neck sweater. Get one at any ski shop or sporting good store. Hands are usually most effected by the cold. Get specific cold weather gloves. Perhaps from a snow mobile shop. Also I wear a full face helmet which helps prevent body heat from escaping upwards. And yes, even though you might not like windshields, they help greatly. The Harley quick detach goes on and off in something like 15 seconds.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
BentZero
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mcouture

Wow, looks like you had the layers on. Make sure one of your layers actually is a wind breaker.
+1 to this. Doesn't get too cold in Charleston, but when it gets down into the 40's I put the rain liner in my jacket which acts as a windbreaker. Really helps to keep me a bit warmer. Helmet helps as well.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CARHARTS !!! Bibs and jacket. helmet and gloves. It doesn't look as good as leather but it sure is alot warmer. I ride all winter in Tennessee when the weather is like you describe. Try it, it works.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Idahoboi
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 467 Likes on 196 Posts

I think a windshield would help immensly. Also, instead of all the cotton underlayers, get some thermal "under armour" type stuff (it doesn't have to be under armour, eventhough there stuff is good), it's amazing how well it'll keep you warm. Leather is okay, and it will keep you warm, but it's horrible for cold weather (unless it's lined). Leather transfers cold really well -- you ever seen a leather ski jacket or leather hunting gear?

Quick Reply: Kepping warm in cold weather?