Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kepping warm in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
dirico1266
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kepping warm in cold weather?

WOW, thanks for all the replies.. Yes I did have a helmet on.

The layers that I had on my waste down were not cold at all.

My chest and upper body were very cold.

I had on a cotton long sleeve, 2 cotton sweatshirts and my harley vest and the jacket that I wore in was made up of polyester, cotton and wool..

My gloves are the heated gaunlet gloves but not connected.

I would have to say if anything my torso was the absolute coldest.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

The layers you have sound pretty good. I dont ride with a windshield, but in 45 degrees I would wear a little leather. At least a jacket. Im not a chaps guy, so I do wear thermals under my jeans, which keep my legs pretty warm.
I find that you MUST keep your HEAD,EARS,HANDS,FEET warm! If any of those are cold, it is ALL you will think about when riding. Those are the first to go.

Leather keepsthe wind out pretty good, without having to wear alot of bulky clothes. Also, gloves that have some type of cuff that goes over the jacket sleeve. Cold air up your arm, can chill your body.
Persopnally, I have to make sure my Ears, and hands are warm.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeti
Cruiser

I try to ride all winter long, if there isn't any wet stuff on the road. Windshield is a must, I also wear ski bibs and a fleece sweatshirt under the leather jacket. I tried wearing chaps instead of the ski bibs, but chaps don't keep the "twig and berrys" warm, there's nothing worse than frozen berrys !!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windshield makes a big difference -
Heated gloves would too (if you're going to be making that ride regularly (in fact, you can get a heated suit)
Windproofing is the big thing, though. I have a 20-mile ride to work each day and the temps lately have been 38-40. I have a waterproof/windproof pant set that zips on - really light (rolls up into a small roll). That with a waterproof jacket usually does the trick. If it's in the low 30s I wear thermal underwear and that mostly takes care of it.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

why are we talking about this? It is summer and 80 out. Pass me an ice pack.
Not here in Oregon it's not!!! It WAS - for a day - but then the rain came back! We're hoping for 70 by the end of the weekend.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

I ride in Connecticut andthrottled to work this morning in the same temps, some highway, but not 50 miles - 65-70 mph.

Leather jacket WITH liner installed, Under Armor athletic shirt, tee shirt, long sleeve tee shirt, jeans,gloves, half helmet, socks X 2, flight boots. No problem. Didn't even put the windhshield on.

Too many clothes - - must move to Scottsdale.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride in the Boston area -- I've been thinking 45 is wicked warm!! I've shed all my electric riding gear and don't close my neck strap (though I do make sure those gauntlets are completely covering the cuff of my jacket.) Wait 'til next February you'll be thinking 45 is tropical.

I'd say, first, plug in your gloves. Then get a windproof jacket -- it doesn't need to be thermally massive, but air infiltration is a big problem. Is your helmet full face? Do you have your neck tab fastened? Heat loss through the head and neck can make you uncomfortable surprisingly quick.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 AM
rmodel65
Tourer

quick fix move to south ga or fla no more cold problems except maybe 10 dyas a year

Old 05-04-2007, 01:41 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

an electric heated vest might help you out. A windshield and soft lowers to block the wind. If it is cold (below 30) I wear long johns, a pair of carharrt insulated jeans, and leather chaps. Up top an insulatedleather jacket over a fleece pullover, a turtleneck and a t-shirt. I have a windshield, fork air deflectors and soft lowers, so havent gotten blasted with alot of wind, so as such, I have not felt the need to buy a heated vest. I DO have heated gloves however, and they help immensely. I also wear a balaclava under my helmet, which stops the wind from freezing my ears and going down the back of my neck.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry if this sounds harse, I don't mean it to be that way, but if you had all that on, at 45*, the heated gear and a windshiled may or may not make you comfortable. Sounds like you may be one of those people who simply cannot tolerate cold.

Quick Reply: Kepping warm in cold weather?