Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knobby Tires for Street Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,790 Likes on 3,577 Posts
Default Knobby Tires for Street Use?

In my wanderings about the interwebs, I'm seeing more than a few street bikes (usually converted cafe racers, customs, and whatnot but the odd Sportster thrown in every so often) dressed out in what appear to be off-road tires. I know there are knobby dual-purpose tires, and they look pretty tough standing still- but is this really a thing on road bikes? What kind of ride do they provide? Are they safe?

I've never dealt with those other than on strictly off-road bikes (and not much of those, to be honest), so I'm just wondering what's up with that.

Tires like this Dunlop dual-purpose, for example:

Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Tires are about traction. Knobby tires are better for dirt, because they are able to utilize more surface area than a street tire could possibly in dirt and rocks. Street tires are better for street because it is a solid surface, so by having more flat areas on the tire, you gain better traction than an offroad tire with less surface contact could. Look at a race car tire, those tracks are paved very well, so the tires they use are just completely flat.... mostly

I don't see how an off-road or dual purpose tire could ever be as good as a street tire for the road. But if you're not hitting paved corners hard and fast, it probably isn't an issue. It won't be as smooth of a ride though, and your tires will wear down quicker.

I could be completely wrong.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 PM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking into the same thing cause I like the look on the 48. However, you would be at serious risk if you used those tires for street. Traction is almost nill. Any type of imperfection in the road you will wipe out. Specifically wet or greasy.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:59 AM
dkizerian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you go with a decent tire, they'll be fine on the street. I've also got a Triumoh scrambler that came with Trailwings, and it is fine. If there is standing water you need to be aware that there is less traction than if you were on a really good street tire, but they're not horrible, and the Trailwings are considered some of the worst dual-sport tires out there.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If youve ever ridden a dirt bike on the hard top you would know that nobbys suck... unless your riding like a grandma when you hit the brake you and will be skidding on one little piece of rubber. I dont know why anyone would want to even put a duo sport and any harley

Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 AM
CripplerMaximus
3rd Gear

I'm considering some dual sport tires, and I've seen that a Duro on the rear and the Bridgestone Trail Wing on the front. That's about all I've come up with by scouring the internet...

Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 AM
jandy2640
Novice

Much smaller contact patch and much more tread flex equals a whole lot of road rash.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Personally I hate dual sports with knobblies on and would never run them through choise on a road bike. There are much better dual sport tyres to be had such as Metler Tourances etc.

I've ridden supermotos with wet tyres on the road and loved Avons ProExtreme rains. They squirm about a bit but are completely predictable.

If its the big block style tread you like have a look at Coker tyes.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 AM
dkizerian
Cruiser

People ride Dual-sport BMW, Triumphs etc. millions of miles all over the world every year on tires like the heidenau K60, trailwings, tkc80... Some of the replies above make it sound like if someone sneezes out the window of the car in front of you you're doomed to slide, out of control, off the side of the road in a ball of fire!

If you find tires you're interested in, and they come in your sizes, do some research and see what others experienced with them... A great place for dual-sport info is ADVRider.com

Here is a good pic of 2 of the tires I'm considering for my scrambler. New Heidenau k60 vs worn Conti. TKC 80
Name:  DSC00252.jpg
Views: 10745
Size:  88.5 KB

Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer

I wouldn't do it. People on the DRZ forums used to jokingly call the stock Trailwings "Deathwings" because they were poor handling.

I think what you're looking for is the Cokers, like Mr_Tiapan recommended.

Quick Reply: Knobby Tires for Street Use?