Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dk customs coil and ignition relocate

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Black Bettie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dk customs coil and ignition relocate

A couple weeks ago I made my own coil bracket, well long story short it didn't hold up well to our shitty roads here. Fail. Went ahead and ordered a DK bracket with F6 ignition relocate. Got them in the mail yesterday and I m beyond impressed with the quality of them. dK hasn't let me down yet and I'll continue to send them business. Install took me about 30 minutes start to finish and it cleans the bike up a lot. Now I just need to do a tank lift and wire tuck!

Old 08-28-2015, 05:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Bettie
A couple weeks ago I made my own coil bracket, well long story short it didn't hold up well to our shitty roads here. Fail. Went ahead and ordered a DK bracket with F6 ignition relocate. Got them in the mail yesterday and I m beyond impressed with the quality of them. dK hasn't let me down yet and I'll continue to send them business. Install took me about 30 minutes start to finish and it cleans the bike up a lot. Now I just need to do a tank lift and wire tuck!
Glad we could help.

About once a week we have folks that get a coil relo from us after their home built one, or other brand one, fails.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 AM
legionxxii
Advanced

I'm curious where did it break?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 PM
j0llysnowman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like how it cleans up the look of the bike a bit. Lots of plastic tossed in the recycling bin. The one downside is that the key gets pretty warm...

Old 08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Got mine from them last month along with a 1.5" tank lift.. although I didn't get the f6 option. Quality stuff and easy install. Longest part was tucking the wires but it gave the bike a much better look IMO. I've heard rumors of people have ignition trouble with it mounted on the coil bracket but guess I'll wait & see.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by j0llysnowman
I really like how it cleans up the look of the bike a bit. Lots of plastic tossed in the recycling bin. The one downside is that the key gets pretty warm...
The key getting a bit warm does not hurt it or the switch at all. Remember, HD has a few models that, from the factory, are mounted on the side of the engine.

However, if one is worried about it, the coil can still be relocated and the wires tucked, while leaving the ignition key in the stock position.

Originally Posted by MikeRC
Got mine from them last month along with a 1.5" tank lift.. although I didn't get the f6 option. Quality stuff and easy install. Longest part was tucking the wires but it gave the bike a much better look IMO. I've heard rumors of people have ignition trouble with it mounted on the coil bracket but guess I'll wait & see.
Cool, glad you are enjoying it.

Yes, we have had a handful of people report that their key had problems after relocating. However, we have thousands who have had no problems.

Thing is, sometimes the ignition keys have problems in the stock position too. The switch and the key are not that high of quality, so a % are going to have problems, whether in the stock or relocated position.

My own '09 Sporty had an ignition key problem a few months after I first got it (and it was in the stock position). It has been relocated for the last 25k miles with no problem.

Luck of the draw.

Ride Free!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Black Bettie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by legionxxii
I'm curious where did it break?
It broke where I had the coil mounted. Welds were strong and tested at work, on a pull machine but it was no match for a huge bump I went airborne on avoiding a collision

Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 PM
legionxxii
Advanced

Surprised more wasn't damaged going airborne. That had to be a rough landing

Old 11-15-2015, 05:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Had 6 Coil Relocation brackets made by another company break last week, and it was 4 the week before last. Guys came to us to get one that would not break. They could have just come to us first, that way they would not be spending $ twice.

There is a tremendous amount of harmonic vibration in everyday riding that can fatigue the metal if the part is not correctly designed or is not the right metal for the job. Then you add, on top of that, bumps like Black Bettie had. Boom, part is hanging off the bike by the wires.

We design parts to last. Other companies look like they are copying some of our parts, but they is not the same...then they break.

I'm not saying we've never had a part that broke, but it is very rare (less than 1 in 10,000), and then it is covered by our Lifetime Warranty. More importantly, we look at why it broke, and do whatever changes need to be done to prevent a repeat.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:57 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, nothing but happy with my DK coil and switch relocation. Really makes the bike look sharp!

Quick Reply: Dk customs coil and ignition relocate