Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smartpartz hard kores, V&H quiet baffles, DK's TTIs, best combo for a quieter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Smartpartz hard kores, V&H quiet baffles, DK's TTIs, best combo for a quieter bike?

Hi All

I know this is going to be a bit alien to a lot of you lol, but I could do with quietening my Iron down.

It currently has Short Shots on with V&H quiet baffles fitted. I'm not looking to get rid of the short shots, just quieten them down a bit more if possible.

Would simply adding w118 TTIs to the quiet baffles knocks a few more DBs off and also have the added benefit that the TTIs bring?

Or what about fitting hard kores to the short shots standard baffles, would that be quieter than my current set up? Could I also use TTis with hard kores?

Many thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did my wife make you type this post

I'd agree the short shots are extremely loud - and on my 1200 they really thump, and I guess I should consider neighbours, other residents, road users and the cats sanity - but then I think F'it !!!

Sorry, can't help as I have standard baffles in mine.

Could you wrap any of those baffles you mentioned to quiten them further?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

quiet baffles are wrapped and also capped so they arent even straight through! I dont know how they are so loud!;D

Had a few comments from neighbours but no complaints yet. My car park at work is flanked by three sides of the building and our Director said to me the other week, was that you on the loud bike? Apparently I drowned him out when he was speaking in a meeting! I got stopped by a cop for riding in a bike lane and whilst i didnt get nicked he commented that he heard me coming a mile off!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Iron6677
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Hi All

I know this is going to be a bit alien to a lot of you lol, but I could do with quietening my Iron down.

It currently has Short Shots on with V&H quiet baffles fitted. I'm not looking to get rid of the short shots, just quieten them down a bit more if possible.

Would simply adding w118 TTIs to the quiet baffles knocks a few more DBs off and also have the added benefit that the TTIs bring?

Or what about fitting hard kores to the short shots standard baffles, would that be quieter than my current set up? Could I also use TTis with hard kores?

Many thanks

I can't comment on all the combinations, but I originally installed the V&H Staggered Short Shots on my Iron with standard baffles and was shocked at how loud they were. I needed a quick fix and I decided to add the Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles. I can say that they have made a significant difference. They definitely quiet it down a bit, but it is more a change in the sound that is more deep/low. Also, if you are coming straight off the stock pipes, the initial loudness of the V&H pipes are a bit shocking, but you actually get used to it after a few weeks.

Finally, if I was to do it again and had more time to research, I would have firstly tried the DK Thunder Torque Inserts with the standard baffles.

I am not sure if you can use the TTI with the Hard Kore installed, but I would also be interested to know if this setup is possible. If you did, I think you either have to install them further in the pipe before the screw that holds the Hard Kore baffle in.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean on the sound , loud pipes are great .....sometimes...
Here's something I did on my SEll mufflers.
Initially they sounded great , the "True Harley Sound" , and that lasted until I rode for a couple weeks.
The SEll's had a "jackhammer" type sound on the highway, and the front one felt like it was in my ear so to speak.
I noticed the power range came in quite high in the RPM range.
This is not normally how I ride , so I started experimenting.
The exit size of the baffles are 1 3/4" ID which is a bunch bigger then the 1 1/8" stock exit.
I grabbed a pair of 1" iron pipe couplers at Home Depot , the OD is a hair bigger than 1 3/4".
Pulled the baffles , drilled one 1/4" hole to mount each coupler and ground the OD so they would slip fit in the baffles.
Bike had way more torque , kind of "ran out of steam" in the upper RPM's , but no jackhammer sound anymore.
So that was a bit small , so I ground out the threads with a hand grinder , radiused the front of each coupler and reinstalled them.
Dropped a hair off the torque , got the top end back , still quieter than the start and no jackhammer sound.
Here's what they look like now.

Now it sounds unique , makes gobs of power , and doesn't look too bad.
Still pretty "intense" but I got rid of the most aggravating frequency and tuned them for my riding style.
Mick

Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any further thoughts Mr T?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:51 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bl0at3r
Any further thoughts Mr T?
I'm not sure how the TTIs would work with the V&H quiet baffles as they stop the short shots being a straight through system anyway? But having found TTIs are available in the UK i'm tempted to get a set and try then with the standard baffles? Just wondering if that would be a lot louder than the QBs?

http://www.macshot.co.uk/#!product/p...torque-inserts

Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Hi All

Many thanks
If the intent is to quiet down the exhaust using TTIs, use the "Q" model instead of the "W" model. You will get less sound volume than the "W". The "W" produces a deeper louder sound.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

i did find at compagny in germany that sell super quietet with euro 3 cat for the competetion 2-1 model, but they may have something for your exhaust
http://www.eagle-exhaust.com/Sportst...age-mit-EG-ABE
regards
RIX

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.eagle-exhaust.com/VH-Shor...ettanlage-2in2

they offer alot from super quiet to ultra quiet and euro 3 cat so you can ride in south germany an switzerland with no problems

regards
RIX

Quick Reply: Smartpartz hard kores, V&H quiet baffles, DK's TTIs, best combo for a quieter bike?