Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help regarding 'Forty Eight'...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Beagle48
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 48

I just picked up my new 2016 48, love it, I'm coming off a BMW S1000RR (I was sick of the sport bike riding position). The new 48's are the way you should go. Suspension is up to date, better, looks Bad ***, and the power is more than enough, no sweat cruising from 65-80, all day with no hassles.

God luck with whatever you choose.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Love the look, but the clam shell position with the low bar and forwards at 6' was a no go for me and worse that tank, I would have to put an Iron tank on it. Most Harley seats are for ornamental purposes only, best first mod IMO. A good stage 1 tune and a few thousand miles on it and a 1200 sportster is a fun engine.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:35 AM
NoMas
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Switchback12
Love the look, but the clam shell position with the low bar and forwards at 6' was a no go for me and worse that tank, I would have to put an Iron tank on it. Most Harley seats are for ornamental purposes only, best first mod IMO. A good stage 1 tune and a few thousand miles on it and a 1200 sportster is a fun engine.

Yeah I went down that route after a test ride I felt the stage 1 was a must. I posted pics in the '48' thread (its the burnt orange one). Its my first HD and LOVE it, its just a shame its pissing down with rain over here so Ive only ridden it twice

Old 11-17-2015, 07:42 AM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The best advice I can give you is go and try one first before you buy one, I myself had years of riding both Jap cruiser but mainly sports bike, or nake street bikes.

comparing a Harley with a sports bike is going to be like chalk and cheese, your going to notice a lot of differences, test ride both the Custom and the 48 the riding position is going to be very different. when I say test ride I mean if you can hire one for the weekend and take it out of a long ride, you might find that you don't like it.

Personally I have to at least own a naked street bike ( Honda X 11 ) and a Harley, I couldn't be without a bike that has a big pair, the Harley is a totally different experience.

Edit, I see you bought one already, glad you like it, now get on with customising it, its an expensive hobby but you can get some power with a little patience and money

Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 AM
NoMas
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGit12
The best advice I can give you is go and try one first before you buy one, I myself had years of riding both Jap cruiser but mainly sports bike, or nake street bikes.

comparing a Harley with a sports bike is going to be like chalk and cheese, your going to notice a lot of differences, test ride both the Custom and the 48 the riding position is going to be very different. when I say test ride I mean if you can hire one for the weekend and take it out of a long ride, you might find that you don't like it.

Personally I have to at least own a naked street bike ( Honda X 11 ) and a Harley, I couldn't be without a bike that has a big pair, the Harley is a totally different experience.

Edit, I see you bought one already, glad you like it, now get on with customising it, its an expensive hobby but you can get some power with a little patience and money
Haha yeah cheers brother. I bought one with a stage 1 upgrade and vance & hines (defo needed) and air filter. I posted some pics on the '48' thread. Im still looking to do some bits and bobs on there though.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 324 Posts

I did not read each reply.

OP currently rides a Fireblade.

The 48 will scrape ALOT when you go around corners.

You can increase the rear shock length and buy different pipes to gain some clearance...yet you will lose the style of a 48 IMO.

Maybe the custom is a better start (bigger fuel tank, 19 front rim as a plus) and modify from there. Also could recommend you are a great candidate for buying used.
Do an internet search as I recall there was a Sportster racing series a decade ago and that may give you lots of modification ideas to put some super sport into Sportster.

Sportsters are great do-everything bike!

Good luck with your decision and project.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I call my 48 the Beast. I love it. I have put a larger tank on it and mini apes but have not changed the exhaust yet. I like the "hamcan" A/C look and will keep that. Enjoy your new bike!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

1-Get slip ons at the minimum. Depending on how loud you like it, choose the baffles.

2- Get a Mustang vintage solo seat

3- Upgrade the ac. The stock is too restrictive

4- Tune it with some tuner

Those are what I have done and I can recommend.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 AM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by traffic jam
I call my 48 the Beast. I love it. I have put a larger tank on it and mini apes but have not changed the exhaust yet. I like the "hamcan" A/C look and will keep that. Enjoy your new bike!
Same here, love the stock AC look. I have the 48's on my Nightster.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:44 AM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMas
Haha yeah cheers brother. I bought one with a stage 1 upgrade and vance & hines (defo needed) and air filter. I posted some pics on the '48' thread. Im still looking to do some bits and bobs on there though.
I had a 1997 Sportster in the past and then traded it in with a Fireblade for a FXDL, then discovered I really missed having a fast bike, only to sell it and buy a Honda X11 then I missed having a Harley and traded in the X 11 for the current Sportster I have, then this time I made sure I kept the Harley and bought.....another X11, I got there in the end .

The current sportster when I bought it had an immense amount of money spent on it outside ( loads of chrome bits including stuff like swing arm ) but it must of had a lot of money spent on the engine it, its a hell of a lot faster than the old Sportster I had by miles.

The thing is some people hate ' crotch ' Rockets and some people hate Harley's, I like both , the X 11 is a retuned naked Black bird, which likes to rip out your arm sockets on acceleration.

I have had people come off a sport bike in the past muttering about slowing down and keep their licence, only to really regret it.

Last edited by TheGit12; 11-19-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some help regarding 'Forty Eight'...