Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for Track Days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sportster for Track Days?

How would a sportster do on the track? I obviously would not expect it to keep up with a sportsbike, just something to have fun on.

I do not have have a sportster but if I got one would make appropriate modifications (dual front rotors, suspension mods, etc.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I can not speak much for the mods that would be appropriate although I would point out that if youre doing a track day kind of deal you may be scraping pegs a lot. Anytime I go out with the sole intention of using the sides of my tires I always scrap which is why had to get a high exhaust. Just my two cents. If youre just trying to have fun then it could be fun but if you really enjoy pushing it then maybe changing up the suspension to make it higher / rear sets would be something to think about.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

For track days get a XR1200 and add a damper.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 08-17-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had mine on Roebling Road here in Savannah (Just west a few miles actually.).

I'm not the fastest guy on the track, but not the slowest. My fast days were on MX, flat track and SuperMoto bikes. I prefer controlled loss of traction to the precision of road racing, but I hold my own amongst amateurs.

That said, the inline four sport bikes simply have much more speed than my 1259 kitted cafe bike. No contest when they launch ahead in the straight sections. Cams and beadwork might lessen the gap, but modern 600cc, 400lbs race replicas are just too quick and fast for a 500lbs 5-speed twin.

But the Sportster is still a lot of fun once you get ground clearance. Mine has 15" shocks, rearsets and a pipe that's tucked in a bit. The bike doesn't touch down.

It does flop around though. The forks are totally inadequate for fast direction changes. This, unfortunately, is the limiting factor. Even with decent internals, the forks flex all over when pushed hard. It could be much better with upside down sport bike forks.

Surprisingly, the brakes are OK. Not great, but functional. I'm sure they would fade if in the track for long periods.

At the end of the day, I had fun and was still challenged, just at a slower pace than the modern race replicas.

If "fast" is your goal, get a different bike. If going faster than your last lap is desired, the Sportster can be as good a choice as any with some well placed mods.

Last edited by SLV; 08-17-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

What Cool Inferno said. An XR1200X is built like a cafe racer. Lots of clearance compared to other Sporties. If you have to have a more traditional Sportster, the XL1200R would be a good platform to start with.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
What Cool Inferno said. An XR1200X is built like a cafe racer. Lots of clearance compared to other Sporties. If you have to have a more traditional Sportster, the XL1200R would be a good platform to start with.
Is there any reason I could not start w/ any sportster & mod it into n XR1200X? Or, would I be $$$ ahead just to buy an XR. Part of the fun for me would be to work on the bike.

I don't care if the bike would be fastest (not expectin to keep up w/ a 200 hp sportsbike) as long as it would be fast enough & handle good enough for me to have fun as well as provide a platform on which I can learn how to ride better. BTW, I also have a KTM 625 Supermoto that I don't ride as well as I should and want to track that as well.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
I've had mine on Roebling Road here in Savannah (Just west a few miles actually.).

I'm not the fastest guy on the track, but not the slowest. My fast days were on MX, flat track and SuperMoto bikes. I prefer controlled loss of traction to the precision of road racing, but I hold my own amongst amateurs.

That said, the inline four sport bikes simply have much more speed than my 1259 kitted cafe bike. No contest when they launch ahead in the straight sections. Cams and beadwork might lessen the gap, but modern 600cc, 400lbs race replicas are just too quick and fast for a 500lbs 5-speed twin.

But the Sportster is still a lot of fun once you get ground clearance. Mine has 15" shocks, rearsets and a pipe that's tucked in a bit. The bike doesn't touch down.

It does flop around though. The forks are totally inadequate for fast direction changes. This, unfortunately, is the limiting factor. Even with decent internals, the forks flex all over when pushed hard. It could be much better with upside down sport bike forks.

Surprisingly, the brakes are OK. Not great, but functional. I'm sure they would fade if in the track for long periods.

At the end of the day, I had fun and was still challenged, just at a slower pace than the modern race replicas.

If "fast" is your goal, get a different bike. If going faster than your last lap is desired, the Sportster can be as good a choice as any with some well placed mods.
Its often just as fun if not more so to take a lesser capable bike to its limits than it is to take a more capable bike to well below its limits.

And Ive often said sportys have pretty damm good brakes, if anything their fault is fading from repeated hard braking, but they have more than enough stopping power.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

You would be better off getting a Buell for the track.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

A typical Sportster can be easily over ridden on the track.

As mentioned above...ground clearance/ lean angle is your biggest issue.

Yes, XR1200 or Buell would be a better Harley trackday bike, else open your wallet as you modify a typical XL for track.

Try a Ninja 300 instead...good luck in your decision.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Is there any reason I could not start w/ any sportster & mod it into n XR1200X? Or, would I be $$$ ahead just to buy an XR. Part of the fun for me would be to work on the bike.

I don't care if the bike would be fastest (not expectin to keep up w/ a 200 hp sportsbike) as long as it would be fast enough & handle good enough for me to have fun as well as provide a platform on which I can learn how to ride better. BTW, I also have a KTM 625 Supermoto that I don't ride as well as I should and want to track that as well.
You can modify anything into just about anything else if you have the skill, tools, time, and patience. But converting an XL to an XR would take far too much work for the amount of payout you'd get. The engines, while similar, are just too different. For example, the oil cooling system of the XR is built into the engine; it isn't just something you can bolt onto an XL.

The geometry of the bike is a different story, however. You can put upswept pipes on, change rake and trail, change wheels, etc. all day long.

I think it'd still be satisfying enough to find a used XR, fix anything that might be wrong with it, and then modify it so it fits your personal riding style. Change gear ratios, valve timing, seating position, geometry, and so on, until you get it dialed in.

Quick Reply: Sportster for Track Days?