Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear lights not working when LED put in

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 PM
HDRetired
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lights not working when LED put in

My wife has an 883L 2013. Has the custom dynamics LED turn bulbs in front with the fast flash stabilizer as well all works fine. I put the magic box by them in and it works with incandescent bulbs in rear. I go and get red 1156 for the rear to make them run break turn and pit in an LED bulb in the tail light. Well now the LEDs on the rear turns won't come on as running like they should. Swapped out lights to incandescent and they work fine. I even put the bulbs on my bike and the LEDs worked and I tried my orange CD lights on the rear nothing. Any help please

Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

A standard 1156 is a single "filament" bulb. When used on the rear with your "magic box" to create a run/break/turn function, the running light function is achieved by the magic box supplying a reduced voltage to the single filament resulting in a dimmer brightness than the bulb produces at normal voltage for turn and brake.

Standard LED bulbs are not dim-able, they are either on or off. When your magic box tries to light them at the reduced voltage for the running light function, the voltage is likely too low to turn them on. I suspect there's some fine print somewhere on the magic box docs that will indicate they are not compatible with LED's.

Note: I know nothing about your "magic box", just describing how LED's work or don't work.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I thought HD switched the rear turn signal lights to dual filament (1157) in 2007 or 2008, are you sure your sockets are single filament?

Last edited by cHarley; 08-17-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRetired
My wife has an 883L 2013. Has the custom dynamics LED turn bulbs in front with the fast flash stabilizer as well all works fine. I put the magic box by them in and it works with incandescent bulbs in rear. I go and get red 1156 for the rear to make them run break turn and pit in an LED bulb in the tail light. Well now the LEDs on the rear turns won't come on as running like they should. Swapped out lights to incandescent and they work fine. I even put the bulbs on my bike and the LEDs worked and I tried my orange CD lights on the rear nothing. Any help please
are the leds in the rear custom dynamics or something else?

it looks like you are saying you added the "Load Equalizer" or "SMART Signal" Stabilizer and the "SMART Triple Play" run/turn/brake.

check the install order and connections (grounds) on the boxes, one MUST be in line before the other (sorry, i can't recall which and it's not clear to me from my own pictures see below- leaning towards stabilizer/equalizer before triple play [confirmed: see directions link below]).

if all that checks out. re-initialize (see page 4) the triple play. then test all four lights.

Worst case give custom dynsamics a call to confirm the order 800-382-1388. if they don't answer, reach out to Shilo @ 954-383-8761 (owns http://www.ridethelite.com/).

Directions: http://www.customdynamics.com/instru...e-play-unv.pdf

Last edited by cvaria; 08-17-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 PM
HDRetired
Advanced
Default Rear lights not working when LED put in

Yeah everything is CD and they won't even come on when nothing is hooked up. I just saw the red key light was staying on even with the bike stared and running. It has no security system so maybe it's throwing a code.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 AM
HDRetired
Advanced
Default Still trying to fix it

@Cvaria All lights and components are CD. I'm going todo that. I think the load EQ has to be in front of the triple play but I can't recall where I read it. I'll find it again some place. Thanks for the link to the directions. When I do the initialization will the lights on the rear not work till I do that ? I ask because they don't come on at all even when I use the turn signal before the initialization. Also they won't turn on as break lights either. I know you do the initialization to set the running light brightness. Also CD said something about reverse polarity maybe? I'm going to call them today to figure this crap out.