Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Brake Pads??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing Brake Pads??

Sometime in the next week or two, I going to be replacing the front and rear brake pads.

I already have the Service manual, and I've had both of the wheels off before.

I'm just wondering, are there any of those "pesky little pitfalls" that I should know about. We all discover them from time to time. It certainly appears to be a fairly straight forward job, but I'm looking for the little things that sometimes come up, and turn a "simple" job into a nightmare.

Any input??

Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Brake Pads??

Randy, do you have the "fix my hog" CD? It covers it pretty well. Let me know. Wheel removal not required.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced my pads... didn't take long at all... no manual... pretty straight forward...

Not unlike doing it on a car...

Have fun!!!

Charlie D.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a pretty easy thing to do. Make sure you use a 5mm hex to remove the brake retention bolt and torque it all back to specs. Also, you might want to consider using Lyndall Racing Brake Pads. They are better than the stock Harley pads.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Randy, do you have the "fix my hog" CD? It covers it pretty well. Let me know. Wheel removal not required.
I have the HD service manual. I think it covers it fairly well. I haven't really looked at it. Like I said, it will be a couple of weeks. Got too much riding planned, the pads aren't all that bad yet, and I'm gonna wait for a rainy day to do this.

Just thought I'd see if there were any little pitfalls that one would not normally expect when replacing brake pads.

Looks like the dragon spit you back out and you've make a safe return home. I trust you had a great visit to TN/NC.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1200L....what kind of socket do you need to get the caliper bolts off? It's kind of a strange looking pattern.....

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
rbcss
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gmerr2

I have a 1200L....what kind of socket do you need to get the caliper bolts off? It's kind of a strange looking pattern.....
you don't need to take you calipers off to change the pads.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Randy, I just did mine last Saturday, follow the manual and it is a piece of Cake. The most difficult thing was getting the inside pad on the rear back in place, no need to take Caliper off, just as the manual states, but even that was no big deal at all.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to replace the brakes, but I didn't have much success. I pushed on the caliper to compress the pistons and managed to get the other brake pad to slide out. However, the new brake pad would not fit back in no matter what I did. So what is the technique that others have used to compress the pistons?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

I tried to replace the brakes, but I didn't have much success. I pushed on the caliper to compress the pistons and managed to get the other brake pad to slide out. However, the new brake pad would not fit back in no matter what I did. So what is the technique that others have used to compress the pistons?
Did you remove the Cap on the reservoir? I use a long skinny screw driver as a kinda pry bar, gently of course.

Quick Reply: Replacing Brake Pads??