Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nOob needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 PM
trsalemme
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nOob needs help.

ok. Ill give as much details as i can.

Here are the issues..as well as the situations in which the issues arise.

2012 Sportster 1200 CP

At first it was the check engine light. It will come on for a few seconds after starting the bike, then go out.

Then i noticed the battery light AND engine light would come on...BUT..it only did it if i was sitting in traffic, and if i got on the freeway..after a few mins they would both go out. So i attributed it to the heat..BECAUSE it does NOT do it if i ride it at night or early in the morning. I live in Phoenix BTW Its been 105+ for over a month.

So i thought maybe, when i changed the oil, i used the wrong oil, and its getting too hot. Because the symptoms were only showing up when its real hot. So i changed to a full synth heavier oil. But its still doing it.

There were times when, if i turned off the bike...it would not restart.

just click click click click from the area of the starter. there WAS juice, as the lights and everything else worked fine. I had to push start. Rode it all the way home...engine/battery light still on. Let it sit overnight. Bang, fired up in morning no probs. So thats why i assumed its heat related.

So now i have no idea. I figured out how to check the code.

its P0562. I have searched that on the web, but dont see how the heat affects the stator or voltage etc.

Im trying to figure this out, as i do not have the $$ im sure the dealership is going to want. i might just have a nice 2 wheeled ornament for my parking spot for the next year or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple years ago, I got the same code and was getting the check engine and battery light at the same time. I had a loose ground connection on the battery, which I assumed vibrated loose, added a lock washer and haven't had an issue since.

FYI, it's normal for the yellow check engine to come on when you start the engine, it should go out after 5 seconds or so. If it comes on a second time, that means you have a trouble code stored.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default nOob needs help.

It sounds like you have either:

A loose battery connection.
A loose ground wire (the other end of the negative battery cable.)

Or,

One of your battery cables (probably ground) has gotten too hot too many times and is not conducting well when it reaches a certain temperature.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

As you probably know that's a low system voltage code. Do you have a digital voltage meter? Stick it across the terminals and check your battery voltage, should be 12.6 volts.

Now with a 20v setting start the bike and put the meter on the terminals again. I'm no harley guy but normally on any vehicle you would be looking for 13.8 to 14.4 volts. If you're not getting that then I'd suspect you have a alternator/regulator problem. We can look into checking those outputs...

Old 08-04-2015, 07:43 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the battery connections.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 PM
trsalemme
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

im still lost as to how the weather has an affect on this.

And why it wouldnt start, but after it sat all night..it started just fine

Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default nOob needs help.

Originally Posted by SLV

Or,

One of your battery cables (probably ground) has gotten too hot too many times and is not conducting well when it reaches a certain temperature.
This....

Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by trsalemme
Thanks for the replies.

My bike would run fine but would cut out at higher revs as the vibration started. Battery earth terminal was loose and I mean loose, not even finger tight! No idea how it even started or ran like it??

If me were thee, i'd still do some checks as there's nothing worse than getting stranded roadside.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by trsalemme
Thanks for the replies.

We can only help you if you follow suggestions! You have several above, so check them out. If in any doubt about your charging circuit go to the Tech Electrical section where you will find two helpful Stickies. Go through them carefully and report back.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get hung up on "heat causing the issue". Troubleshoot the fault. Thousands of Sportsters run in areas with very high summer heat with no issues. As everyone has suggested, start with the grounds and battery then progress to the voltage regulator, etc...

Quick Reply: nOob needs help.