Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found this Air Cleaner Intake Kit for an Iron

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
If it is the oem filter inside the oem housing you need to adjust the carb or the bike would not perform well. It will be
to rich of a mixture ( fuel/air ), oke it is better then lean but the best option is tuned like it should be to perform at is
best with this configuration.
Thanks for the advice but we'll see . I don't know if the bike IS tuned . Someone might have stuck this thing on for decoration . If the OEM filter is larger in surface area I can't see a problem to be honest . By the way the stock filter says HD and K&N on it . Is that OEM ?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 PM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Still think you should stick with this Rough Crafts - mine is almost 4 years old. The rain doesn’t get through as it’s an oiled filter and I have ridden through some terrestrial storms - no probs - love mine. I do have a rain sock for it but never bother with it unless I’m parking outside and it’s raining. However, firstly if you were just cautious about the filter being a genuine K&N and changing it - you don’t need to remove the big Allen breather bolts you just unscrew the grid-cover. The filter drops out. If you are removing the whole thing, then one of the Imperial (US) Allen keys does fit. I just can’t recall the size this minute.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:59 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Thanks for the advice but we'll see . I don't know if the bike IS tuned . Someone might have stuck this thing on for decoration . If the OEM filter is larger in surface area I can't see a problem to be honest . By the way the stock filter says HD and K&N on it . Is that OEM ?
If it says K&N it is a high airflow filter, sold bij Harley in the Screaming Eagle line, so the fuel air ratio could be oke then.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default M10

Originally Posted by steveket
Still think you should stick with this Rough Crafts - mine is almost 4 years old. The rain doesn’t get through as it’s an oiled filter and I have ridden through some terrestrial storms - no probs - love mine. I do have a rain sock for it but never bother with it unless I’m parking outside and it’s raining. However, firstly if you were just cautious about the filter being a genuine K&N and changing it - you don’t need to remove the big Allen breather bolts you just unscrew the grid-cover. The filter drops out. If you are removing the whole thing, then one of the Imperial (US) Allen keys does fit. I just can’t recall the size this minute.
Turned out to be M10 after all just machined to a very tight tolerance .

Old 05-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Proofs in the riding.

Thanks for the contributions , I'll keep an open mind until I've ridden it . I can always put the aftermarket one back on .

Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default OEM filter back on.

In a further development I've had to put the original filter back on when I discovered portions of filter material missing from the custom one . I've ordered a K&N element for it because I do prefer the appearance .

Old 05-05-2019, 11:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Interesting thread.

R&D costs money.

Quality parts cost money.

Customer Service costs money.

Patents are often ignored, ideas stolen.

Made in the USA does not seem to matter near as much as it used to, to many.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Know what you mean.

And " Made in England " is just a fond childhood memory when it comes to everyday consumer goods . At least we've still got Triumph Motorcycles . . Anyway , rip off or not , the metal parts are of very high quality so once I have installed a genuine K&N I'll be good to go . In the meantime , at least I've got something to rest my right leg on and to be honest I can't notice any difference in performance with the Harley/K&N in the original housing .

Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Best of both.

So now I have taken delivery of a genuine K&N Custom filter that fits neatly into my fake but good quality filter housing. The K&N is slightly deeper than the fake but the spindle that the cover screws onto is adjustable. So , anyone who has bought one of these filter kits should take the filter out and hold it up to the light to see how much pink fibre has been sucked through their motor before it's too late.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:32 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Maybe I missed it somewhere earlier, but you were so so very close to showing the K&N Part # in the pic above

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (05-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Found this Air Cleaner Intake Kit for an Iron