Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Lab
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Accident

Finally bought a Nightster and registered it last week but…

Last night I was stopped at a red light and got rear ended. I jumped off my bike and it fell on its left side. I am ok. Not any major damage to the bike from what I have seen. The bike will need a new clutch lever, grips, front left turn signal, foot shifter, and peg. Also some scratches on the frame below the motor. When the bike was down I saw some type of fluid, I am not sure what is was or even bothered checking because I was in shock. I rode the bike home and it was fine but I did smell something burning.

The appraiser should be contacting me soon. Just wanted to ask if anyone experienced this sort of incident before? Should I have the bike inspected because there may or may not be internal damage? Any other recommendations or tips would greatly be appreciated.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nightster Accident

Yes. Yes. And yes. Let the jabroni who rear ended you's insurance pay for your piece of mind. I would not ride until it has been to the shop for a checkup. It may not even be internal damage but could be minor stress damage that turns into a bigger problem later.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks dude. I'm glad you're ok. Doesn't sound like you had serious damage. Did the spill smell like gas?

What kind of consistency was the fluid? Thick like oil?

I am selling the left side foot controls (shifter, peg, and bracket that mounts to the frame ) if you're interested in replacement parts.

Here is a link to my for sale thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-controls.html

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

Sorry to hear that. The good thing is that you walked away from it. Make sure that guys insurance covers everything. Personally in my experiance with car accidents at least they never run the same after even after they've been fixed and all. I would prefer a total loss and get a new bike but thats just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sucks - don't let it put you off though

Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You for sure need that frame checked.. I was rear ended on my Ducati about 15 years ago and thought at first I was lucky until I found out my frame was cracked..

Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Lab
Advanced

I assume it was some stuff burning off from the fluid leak. Not sure what exactly was leaking. As for the left side controls, ill have to pass, I'm a short guy for the forward controls.

Originally Posted by Alain
That sucks dude. I'm glad you're ok. Doesn't sound like you had serious damage. Did the spill smell like gas?

What kind of consistency was the fluid? Thick like oil?

I am selling the left side foot controls (shifter, peg, and bracket that mounts to the frame ) if you're interested in replacement parts.

Here is a link to my for sale thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-controls.html

Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

glad you are ok.

take it to and hd dealer and let them pile on the costs. let the adjuster fight with them... clean them out.

i watch my mirrors like a hawk, signal stops way early, and leave myself an out whenever possible.

when you get your new bike, lol, get led tail lights that flash, try to stop in road position 1 or 3, watch your mirrors at stops.

leds:
http://www.ridethelite.com/ ask for Shilo. tell him what happened. 954-383-8761

positions:

Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Bike can be fixed. Glad you are okay...could have been much worse. My daughters BF got rear ended and hit the rear window of a van in front of him head first. His helmet penetrated the window and got stuck as he catapulted onto the roof of the van. Luckily his helmet came off or a broken neck for sure. He lived to tell the story. Must be a cat with 9 lives since he had two other accidents after that riding in a group...but speed was a factor...not enough time to react.
Let the adjuster inspect and make sure he inspects the frame then take it to anharley dealer so if they find other needed repairs, they can coordinate directly with the insurance co.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Lab
Advanced

Thank you for the input fellas

Quick Reply: Nightster Accident