Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip thinking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Max.Moody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been advised by riding friends (I'm a noob) that it's better to do the skyline drive. Since it costs $ there are fewer cages. Blue Ridge Parkway I think is the free route. And according to the website top speed is 35 mph. And watch out for the wildlife crossing the road at those blind curves.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:30 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If you can take an over-nighter, Willville Motorcycle Campground is about the perfect, one-way distance down the BRP from Northern VA. Me and the OL rode down, spent the night in the campground's rental cabin, got up the next morning and rode home. The available breakfast sandwiches are big and delicious. Just be sure to order it the night before, so you're certain to get one in the morning. Staying in the cabin allowed us to streamline our bikes, leaving our camping gear, at home. You still get communal campfire privileges while staying in the cabin, enjoying conversation and stories (swapping lies) with fellow riders. Depending on your location in West-By-God Virginia, it could be an easy over-night trip for you, too. We've ridden the BRP a handful of times, but we skip Skyline Drive, getting on at the North end of the Parkway outside of Waynesboro, near Afton Mountain. Skyline Drive is 35 MPH and full of Lookie-Lous in giant RV's, slowing down (or stopped) to look at Bambi. People are EVERYWHERE, especially on weekends. It's still a nice ride, but the BRP blows it away. The Parkway speed limit is 45 MPH, with a few 35 MPH zones. There's an entrance fee for Skyline Drive ($8 for motorcycles, iirc). The BRP, is free. Impressive overlook pullouts, are available on either.
http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

A few of the fellas, shootin' the breeze in the mornin'

Smallish, but very adequate, cabin. There's a lean-to for bike parking, but it does not have a private bathroom. The bath house is the red-roofed building in the background. These pics are from about 5 years ago, so things may have changed:

You can see the large, communal campfire ring in the background of the pavilion:

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 07-21-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Yogie
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick 93
Hey I just did a trip yesterday through West Virginia and went about 400 miles. Most of this was at 55mph but there was a good bit also around 30mph. I spent most of the day riding. I have a 2015 Iron and I have a mustang wide solo seat with backrest (I highly recommend this seat btw) and forward controls and I had no problem at all. I did not carry anything extra and I do not have bags or luggage of any kind at the moment. Usually I take a 5-10 minute break at every gas stop to stretch and rehydrate which is usually around every 80-100 miles.

I was actually thinking of doing a Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway trip next weekend but I'm not really sure how far I'll go as I need to get back before the end of the day. I just bought a windshield off of a forum member so I hope it will help with some fatigue.

In my opinion the Sportster is perfectly fine for this kind of trip especially if you have an aftermarket seat. I used to do 300-400 mile trips on my 2009 ZX6R before I wrecked it. In the end its about how you'll hold up. Maybe ease your way into it by starting with a 200 mile trip and go further every time; its all up to you. I'm going to try a much longer trip myself after I figure out a good way to hold supplies/items.

By the way if you want to go riding some time let me know. I live in Northern Virginia but I go way out into West Virginia frequently.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was passing through the BRP area yesterday returning home and took in about 20 miles in the Lexington,Va. area. Met probably 20 motorcycles and a couple cars. Probably 15 of the bikes were large dressed Harleys.
I live in the Ripley area about 35 miles north of Charleston, WVa. our capital. If I make this run next year after some more practice ( 30 years without a bike ) I'd probably plan to start south from the Lexington area with the first day ending about where the bike campground is mentioned.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:46 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogie
Even when I was a little kid and my mom and dad would take us down the Blue Ridge Parkway I always though of someday how I would love to walk or ride a motorcycle across it and back. Skyline Drive and the Parkway equal about 400+ miles in length if I remember right with top speed being 45 mph.
I'm sure someone here has done it probably several times in the past few years.

My question is would a Sportster be a good choice for this adventure ?
I rode it last year and it is 45. Speed zone near Roanoke where you have unmarked cars. 35 in the national park if your riding Skyline Drive.

You can ride around the world on a sportster.